Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > oOple Talk

Old 06-05-2010

Question Radio: Stick vs Wheel

Hello,

I have noticed that some of you guys run stick style radios. In the US I hardly ever see people using anything but the wheel type radios, is there an advantage to running the stick style?
Old 06-05-2010

Default Radios

Ive always put this down to what you started using when you started driving/racing. As a child in the uk most rc cars came with stick transmitters, its only in the last few years that ready to run kits over here have started to come with a wheel.

I personally use a stick but dont see much advantage for one or the other. Feel steering is better on a wheel but throttle and break better on a stick.

Just my thought though
Old 06-05-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

had sticks on day 1 and can't get on with a wheel. simple as that really.
Old 06-05-2010

Send a message via MSN to JonMack Send a message via Skype™ to JonMack

I started with sticks but I had small hands as I was only about 10 years old, so I then moved over to a wheel as it fit me better and so that's what I use.

It really is what you're used to. If you're using sticks now and getting on okay then stick with them (excuse the pun). If you're using a wheel then stay with that.
Old 06-05-2010

Default thanks

Thanks guys,

I think I will stick with the wheel since that is what I have always used. Just wanted to make sure I was not missing out on a secret weapon!

Cheers
Old 06-05-2010
Mad Member

I started with a wheel, then tried a stick type and liked it better. For me throttle control is better with stick.

Old 06-05-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I can steer well with sticks, but cannot brake at all

Started with a wheel and always prefered how it felt to hold the "pistol" rather than "carrying" the sticks.

Its all down to what you are brought up with as has been said

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 06-05-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

if you know someone that has a stick radio then ask them to try there car for a few laps.
the only way to tell which you prefer is to try them both. You may find it far easier to control the throttle or steering with sticks. Or you may hate it and want to stay with wheel.
only you will know, and only by trying it out

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 06-05-2010

I started with sticks years back, but use wheel now... each has its merits and vices... throttle feel for me is better with sticks but steering is better with wheel and vice versa... wheel throttle is not as intuitive IMO, and steering with sticks just does not compute anymore...!
Old 06-05-2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanota View Post
Hello,

I have noticed that some of you guys run stick style radios. In the US I hardly ever see people using anything but the wheel type radios, is there an advantage to running the stick style?
I remember when we got the first wheel radios, Futaba BrownBox, and from that day on everyone in the US has used a wheel radio - actually have never seen anyone use a stick radio unless it was a international/world type event. First fast guy I ever saw use one was Masami, but then he could drive with his feet too.

I guess it depends on what you grew up using and what you're more comfortable with.

I remember one old guy put it best, "It's all like it's done in 1:1/fullsize vehicles. Sticks are for ailerons and rudders, so planes - while cars have steering wheels and so should rc cars."
Old 07-05-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Im currently using wheel cos it was a cheaper way of getting 2.4ghz, was using sticks before. but i can use both.
it helps when setting up customers cars being stick/wheel

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 20-10-2013

Default Wheel to sticks?

Well I've gone from a DEX210 RTR with a wheel to a DEX210 it build with sticks.
And it's not working lol. May take the receiver out of he RTR and try again.
Old 20-10-2013

I use sticks and think they are great but I agree it really does just depend on what you get used to or find more comfortable to use.

If I were starting racing now I would personally choose the wheel as I think sticks are slowly going to die out and be completely replaced by the wheel, Ko stopping making sticks isnt exactly a positive sign.

A major plus for the wheel is that you have a huge range from cheap all the way to the most expensive sets, sticks it either its cheap and sucks or expensive but great.

Just my opinion though.
Old 20-10-2013

Thanks for the reply. To be honest the I was using the wheel on the RTR just fine. Gradually getting faster. But everyone at the club I race at seem to use sticks and I just thought I'd try the Extronix Pulse 2.4g stick set when I built my DEX210.
I've had a look at the £100+ wheel transmitter sets out there just out of general interest. Is there a good or bad wheel transmitter of preference? I guess some must be better than others like most RC items?

Would be interested to know your opinions.

Old 20-10-2013

I used to race about 18 years ago and only ever used sticks, as did everyone else apart from one heretic now days if you look around, the younger generation tend to use wheel but the older ones use sticks.

Just got back in and my 210 RTR came with a wheel, felt alright just messing around the playground/field, but it wasnt until my first race I realised just how un-natural it was (to me) it wasnt too bad on the open sections but harder on the tighter stuff. I had hoped I'd get used to it over time.

I've got the VRC game with the USB adaptor, played for quite a while with the wheel on the events and just couldnt get higher than like 30th place in one event, then remembered I had an old 27Mhz stick in the attic from an old Traxxis buggy, plugged that in and instantly went faster, just felt more in control. Got upto 20th place on my 2nd session.

Safe to say the 27Mhz is in the 210 now, atleast until I can afford a 2.4Ghz stick. Havent had the chance to race it yet as today was a wash out.
Old 21-10-2013

That gives me an idea...
Old 21-10-2013

I had both. I dont mind ethier of them but i find easier to race with wheels.
Old 21-10-2013

I came back to racing a couple of years ago, after an 18 year gap from racing as a kid. I've always used sticks and decided to switch to a wheel a very short while ago.

I think i'm around 6 meetings into using the wheel fully (I kept switching back and forth) and am already back on pace and using the controls without thinking about it. I 100% think it is better (for me anyway), I feel like I can react faster on the wheel and can steer more consistently with it.

It never hurts to try new things, but if you do you must stick at it. You'll be crap with the wheel initially and want to go back to what you know, but you never know til you try
Old 21-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Larner View Post
Ive always put this down to what you started using when you started driving/racing. As a child in the uk most rc cars came with stick transmitters, its only in the last few years that ready to run kits over here have started to come with a wheel.

I personally use a stick but dont see much advantage for one or the other. Feel steering is better on a wheel but throttle and break better on a stick.

Just my thought though
I heard someone once say, "Wheel for real; Sticks for dicks". Chris, being a stick user, is there any truth to this? Also, can you add any weight to the old adage "wheel users will make up anything to goad a stick user into a win-less fight".

Seriously and all silliness aside; apart from the recent study showing a direct relationship between wheel users and Mensa scholarships, the choice between the two is all about what wheel feels right and which sticks feel wrong.
Old 22-10-2013

I got into the hobby a few years back and just couldn't get on with sticks, so tried a rh wheel and couldn't get on with that either. So I flipped it over and drove cack handed and it felt natural. So I bought a lefty wheel and all is well now. maybe some people who can't use a wheel are holding it in the wrong hand. I'm very right handed usually too but a right handed wheel just felt wrong