Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 24-08-2015

Macctrack in the north used to be fantastic, shame that isnt around anymore. Didnt that burn down which caused the closure?

Schumacher/MuchMore/Orion/Sanwa
Old 24-08-2015

Yeah I started at oaks park with a tamiya super sabre and then a kyosho 4/wd chain driven got pictures somewhere , to upload before with no luck see if I can dig them out again if i can find them and give it another go
Old 25-08-2015

I would love to see some pics, I never took any.
We must have raced each other at some point🏁
Old 25-08-2015
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

This thread may not make much sense any more...
I've merged the thread from the BRCA section (as the thread wasn't relevant to that section) with this one.
Apologies for any confusion caused
Old 25-08-2015

I've found the location of the Thornton Heath track on google maps,
The bottom of Mayfield Road and turn left all the way along the track to the football club,
The track was to the side of tha car park
Old 25-08-2015

Default Thornton Heath track

Wonder if any of it is still there? May pop and have a look. Wonder if Ian dibble is still racing? He was quite 'eccentric' I seem to remember.
RC10 Worlds
RC10 B3
Cougar 2's
Topcat
Tamiya DT02 - use as a door stop.
Tamiya TL01 - paper weight.
Tamiya Mini - awesome fun to race

THR - Tudor-Hart Racing - Custom RC products - find us on Facebook.

SHRCCC Committee Member- Track features - design and build.

Returning racer after 25 year break - miss my Optima Mid Custom Special, but not brushed motors & SCE cells.

www.shrccc.co.uk

Old 25-08-2015

If you do take a look, take some pics, i'm in Devon now and would love to see whats left of it
But a bit to far away to investigate.
Ian was certainly a character, slight speach impediment, his whole life revolved around rc racing
It was watching his RC10 that made me decide to get one
Old 31-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I raced at surbiton in the SOWL early 90s it had an awesome concrete bank and steps on to the front straight it was a bit of a car breaker if I rember correctly that could have been me tho lol
Correct! It was crazy paved though. One of my favourite ever track features... When it comes to SOWL, I always remember John Cheeseman, what a guy.
Old 31-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinytopman View Post
The Medway track was at Elm Court Hempstead.

The bootfair was in the field next to the track and just up from the garden center.
Half astro and half concrete if i remember correct.
Medway Off Road Club started out as a grass track, then was turned into a cool dirt\clay track in about '89 and held some big meetings. By about '91 the track was in rough shape (weather, wear) and it was completely tarmaced the day before a RRC meeting, With time several sections were changed to astro, dirt and grass. Racing on bumpy/jumpy tarmac isn't a nuts as it sounds...was more fun than astro......
Old 31-08-2015

Does anyone Remember racing at Eastbourne before we built the on road track?
All grass track with a small paved section.

Blatant plug but Eastbourne along with 1066 racing are running a one of meeting on the 20th September. I've posted in the events section already all the info
Old 31-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiv View Post
Does anyone Remember racing at Eastbourne before we built the on road track?
All grass track with a small paved section.

Blatant plug but Eastbourne along with 1066 racing are running a one of meeting on the 20th September. I've posted in the events section already all the info
Certainly do, great track/venue, another SOWL club. The paved section was fun in the wet. Good luck with your event, bring back the grass tracks! Another 2 were East Grinstead with a stream next to the track that a few buggies went in (!), Crowborough and Parkwood. Anyone remember them?
Old 31-08-2015

Many thanks well we are going back to our roots and it will be a grass track once again so should be fun.

West Kent was another good track next to the what was the ymca. I remember going there with my dad when I was a kid. The track has gone from there now but the club still runs indoors now
Old 01-09-2015

About half our members raced at Eastbourne regularly, many fond memories of green compound mini spikes and a floodlit track on a Wednesday night, racing whatever the weather! Grass meeting will be ace, looking forward to it!

Another great track was Crawley, end of a playing field? Grass but with plastic mesh 'under' it? Loved it there, used to camp the night before, mega.

There was another grass track V near Brands Hatch, only raced there once I think? Bottom corner of a field, opposite a petrol station?

Also Caterbury, grass I think? Although I'm sure they once hired an indoor horse trotting arena, swept the loose dirt to run on hard packed stuff underneath?

Happy days. Went through 3 tamiyas...Terra Scorcher, Avanti, Egress, then Schumacher Boss Cat and finally Cat 2000.

Then a near 20 year break...before three of us started 1066 and all our old mates came out of the woodwork!
Old 02-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1066 Racing View Post
About half our members raced at Eastbourne regularly, many fond memories of green compound mini spikes and a floodlit track on a Wednesday night, racing whatever the weather! Grass meeting will be ace, looking forward to it!

Another great track was Crawley, end of a playing field? Grass but with plastic mesh 'under' it? Loved it there, used to camp the night before, mega.

There was another grass track V near Brands Hatch, only raced there once I think? Bottom corner of a field, opposite a petrol station?

Also Caterbury, grass I think? Although I'm sure they once hired an indoor horse trotting arena, swept the loose dirt to run on hard packed stuff underneath?

Happy days. Went through 3 tamiyas...Terra Scorcher, Avanti, Egress, then Schumacher Boss Cat and finally Cat 2000.

Then a near 20 year break...before three of us started 1066 and all our old mates came out of the woodwork!
Yep, Crawley was a cool track! I actually liked racing on the mesh as it made it fairly slippery. Neil Twitchen and Pete Gilbert are names that spring to mind for Crawley.. I used to live fairly near Brands Hatch but don't remember a track near there, maybe I'd quit by that point?. Herne Bay used to race in an indoor equestrian arena for a while in about '94. Why does nobody do that now, great fun!? The thing I liked about Eastbourne was that the grass was decent, not your average ropey field grass. My Pred used to hate the back section though with the humps...

List of South of Watford League Clubs (incomplete, feel free to add);
Medway Off Road Club
Eastbourne
Eden Park Overlanders
Crawley Auto Racers
Thornton Heath Off Roaders
Oaks Park Ramblers
Surbiton
Crowborough
Canterbury
Parkwood
Herne Bay (BMX Track!)
Ummmm....
Old 10-11-2015

Default Monkton Burners

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntH View Post
Yep, Crawley was a cool track! I actually liked racing on the mesh as it made it fairly slippery. Neil Twitchen and Pete Gilbert are names that spring to mind for Crawley.. I used to live fairly near Brands Hatch but don't remember a track near there, maybe I'd quit by that point?. Herne Bay used to race in an indoor equestrian arena for a while in about '94. Why does nobody do that now, great fun!? The thing I liked about Eastbourne was that the grass was decent, not your average ropey field grass. My Pred used to hate the back section though with the humps...

List of South of Watford League Clubs (incomplete, feel free to add);
Medway Off Road Club
Eastbourne
Eden Park Overlanders
Crawley Auto Racers
Oaks Park Ramblers
Surbiton
Crowborough
Canterbury
Parkwood
Herne Bay (BMX Track!)
Ummmm....
Any body remember this track in Monkton, early 90's.
It was at the end of a football field, all grass track run buy the Gallaghers if I remember right? I started my racing there as my bro got me into it.
Old 10-11-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

South of watford league Now thats going back,Won my 1st trophy in the C final with an optima chain drive at my 1st one. I raced that mid 80s early 90s clubs I remember were

East grinstead off roaders aka EGOR (my first club)
EPO pre the astro track when they raced on grass (Second club I belonged to along with EGOR)
Medway, the funny tarmac track home of the darwels
Crawley
Maidstone
Canterbury
Crowbrough
Eastbourne

I forget the others as it was quite a long time ago. When I started crawley was a temporary track laid out on a school field pre the permanent track at the FC, EPO was a grass track.No rostrum as such we just stood on a small platform at the top of the hill and kevin moore had just broken the new cat XL out.
I can remember going to south of watford league organisation meetings on behalf of EGOR and Derrick Clark running the whole thing…straight talking bloke

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117

Last edited by racingdwarf; 10-11-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-11-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntH View Post
Certainly do, great track/venue, another SOWL club. The paved section was fun in the wet. Good luck with your event, bring back the grass tracks! Another 2 were East Grinstead with a stream next to the track that a few buggies went in (!), Crowborough and Parkwood. Anyone remember them?

Just read this, I helped build that track at Notra Dame school Lingfield, yer the stream was good on the left hand part of the track you crossed the stream we used a double garage door as a bridge and covered with a thin layer of soil you wouldn't have known until you walked over it…and bounced If I remember it was Ian dibble who made it into the stream. we built that track in about 1988 the area was an old filled in pond in the woods, but the woods took some severe storm damage in the 87 hurricane thus they said we could have the area as long as we cleared it, three weekends of solid chainsawing remember it well. Because it was a filled in pond the whole place moved under your feet if you dropped anything heavy.

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 10-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
Just read this, I helped build that track at Notra Dame school Lingfield, yer the stream was good on the left hand part of the track you crossed the stream we used a double garage door as a bridge and covered with a thin layer of soil you wouldn't have known until you walked over it…and bounced If I remember it was Ian dibble who made it into the stream. we built that track in about 1988 the area was an old filled in pond in the woods, but the woods took some severe storm damage in the 87 hurricane thus they said we could have the area as long as we cleared it, three weekends of solid chainsawing remember it well. Because it was a filled in pond the whole place moved under your feet if you dropped anything heavy.
If anyone was going to end up in the stream it would have been Ian Dibble bless him! Wonder what he's up to these days?
Old 08-12-2015

Ian can be found sitting by a lake hes often on the carp fishing forums username teamxray1.
Old 09-12-2015

Did anyone on here race at Hampton Buggy Club back in the 80s. Remember it was run on chicken wire out the back of a scout hiut. I only went once with my tamiya hornet but ended up winning a team endurance trophy, solely down to my team mates who were running space age technology at the time compared to my hornet.