Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > XRAY

Old 30-04-2013
Mad Member

Default xb4 "chassis flex settings "??

Hi , can someone exsplain the chassis flex settings please , obiusly i know the less screws gives the chassis more flex for low grip , and more screws less flex etc ( i know im a bit dumb !! ) for high grip .

I normaly run my xb4 with just the 4x centre screws removed , but on sunday at the mid south reginals at torch ( my local and a cracking track !! ) i saw different cars/drivers , running different settings ..

Some had the outer front and rear screws removed , and some had the entire rear end screws removed ..

Soo at what point / track conditions would you change the flex settings ??
Old 01-05-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun m View Post
Hi , can someone exsplain the chassis flex settings please , obiusly i know the less screws gives the chassis more flex for low grip , and more screws less flex etc ( i know im a bit dumb !! ) for high grip .

I normaly run my xb4 with just the 4x centre screws removed , but on sunday at the mid south reginals at torch ( my local and a cracking track !! ) i saw different cars/drivers , running different settings ..

Some had the outer front and rear screws removed , and some had the entire rear end screws removed ..

Soo at what point / track conditions would you change the flex settings ??

I found it didn't help grip at all on the super slippy indoor tracks i run at over the winter. I tried various combinations of screws, and couldn't tell the difference. It certainly wasn't the magic answer to my rear rotation and grip problem on the polished and gym floors.

Now i'm outside i've put the full-length chassis brace on and all the flex screws in. car feels spot on.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-05-2013
Mad Member

I found that in conjunction to other setup changes i had made, removing the 2 rear screws helped make the over rotation of the back less of an issue on a mixed gym/slippy floor and carpet.

I also went to 5k front and 3k rear diff oil with 25wt shock oil in the rear with kit springs and 3 hole pistons. was a lot easier to drive
However it was also a new set of tires front and rear which made a massive difference.
even without rollbars i found that i was grip rolling loads on the carpet and had to adjust my driving to suit
Old 01-05-2013

I find that the more flex screw you remove the more lazy the car becomes . Max flex is better on bumpy tracks and no flex is more precise in and through the corners . I'm trying a full length top deck tomorrow night so it will be interesting to see how it helps or not .
Old 01-05-2013
YORCC legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
I found it didn't help grip at all on the super slippy indoor tracks i run at over the winter. I tried various combinations of screws, and couldn't tell the difference. It certainly wasn't the magic answer to my rear rotation and grip problem on the polished and gym floors.

Now i'm outside i've put the full-length chassis brace on and all the flex screws in. car feels spot on.
How do you find it at York on Saturday's Neal? Have you sussed it - grip wise?

Jerry
Old 01-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwesty View Post
I find that the more flex screw you remove the more lazy the car becomes . Max flex is better on bumpy tracks and no flex is more precise in and through the corners . I'm trying a full length top deck tomorrow night so it will be interesting to see how it helps or not .
cheers glen , i think you may have said to me before at torch , but i can't tell the difference between you an jay !! ...

I was also wondering what different configarations do and for when the grip is inconsistent ....

cheers shaun
Old 01-05-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy View Post
How do you find it at York on Saturday's Neal? Have you sussed it - grip wise?

Jerry
Was not there Sat just gone, but time before grip was great. Partly tyres, partly the new under-lipo weight and Ralls racing rear tower with outer hole ball holes. These all made far more difference to me than the chassis flex screws.

I'm sure the flex effect will be more noticeable on high grip tracks though.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-05-2013
oOple Advertiser

as said above the tower and weights make the main difference. having said that since i have added a full topdeck i have found the flex is most equal with no screws and this also opens up the setup window to allow the car to be 90% right and quick as opposed to needing to be perfect.

any questions feel free to pm me

Nathan Ralls
Old 02-05-2013

Yep, throw some weight under your lipos. Works a treat! How much? I had 90g under my lipos. It's will be reduced. But I have 2 45g pieces of lead. Will cut each one in half and try it that way too. But car was ace first day out (yesterday).

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/90qEJ3GYXaY
Supported by RC Disco and Team Powers UK
Favourite Model Shop....MB Models!
Old 02-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralls Racing View Post
as said above the tower and weights make the main difference. having said that since i have added a full topdeck i have found the flex is most equal with no screws and this also opens up the setup window to allow the car to be 90% right and quick as opposed to needing to be perfect.

any questions feel free to pm me

Nathan Ralls
where are the weights from and when will the magic towers be back in stock?
Old 02-05-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBeMikey View Post
Yep, throw some weight under your lipos. Works a treat! How much? I had 90g under my lipos. It's will be reduced. But I have 2 45g pieces of lead. Will cut each one in half and try it that way too. But car was ace first day out (yesterday).
I was running 40g under each lipo, plus 10g in each of the rear triangles.
I've just got some lead flashing cut into lipo shapes, which are 62g each, so I've removed the triangle weights. To be fair, i'll probably end up cutting them down, as it was fine with 50g/side. I found I could use the under lipo foam to pack the smaller weight into the space and keep it secure (from sliding). I'll probably cut down these bigger sized pieces and use foam to keep them towards the rear of the lipo trays.
Old 02-05-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBeMikey View Post

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/90qEJ3GYXaY
What an awesome track... all those possible tracks
Where is it?
What electrics you using

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 02-05-2013
Mad Member

Kinda looks like the Coventry track.
Old 02-05-2013

That will be because it is the Coventry Astro track
Old 02-05-2013
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroP View Post
where are the weights from and when will the magic towers be back in stock?
tuesday for the towers if the postman gets here and we will be releasing the weights in the next few weeks
Old 02-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralls Racing View Post
tuesday for the towers if the postman gets here and we will be releasing the weights in the next few weeks
soo the under lipo weights makes a big difference then , i thought my xb4 was a fat little bugger anyway weighing in at 1700g !!
Old 07-05-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwesty View Post
Hey glen , how did you find the full lengh top deck compared to the kit one ??

cheers shaun
Old 08-05-2013

Default Yep! It's Coventry.

Motor is Tekin Gen2 6.5, LRP Flow w/v3.3 offroad firmware, HPI Plazma 5600's. Not sure if I was running boosted or not in this vid. Boosted its mental but to be honest it made the car smoother throwing some in but since I was practicing and sometimes driving for 10-12 minutes I turned it off. I was running pretty much kit but now I've gone for a softer set-up running 6 hole pistons all around. I was also running with all screws in chassis but I must start experimenting with this feature.
When I spoke to a fellow racer who has been racing this car it was mentioned that the flex is front to back and not of a twisting action. I didn't know that.

I also loaned my weights to another person running the XB4 and he said the adding the weight settle the car down and made it easier to drive. I've now glued them in.
Supported by RC Disco and Team Powers UK
Favourite Model Shop....MB Models!