Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 24-11-2011

Send a message via MSN to lewis666
Default would anyone be interested...

hello there,

i am thinking of starting a new venture of nickel plating rc components. i have been plating for nearly a year plating parts for me and my dad's classic motorbikes. we have had great success and the results have been exceptional.

after thinking about it i decided to nickel plate all the driveshafts, axles and shock standoffs on my losi 8ight which i am restoring. these parts are about 3 years old and started life the normal black coating.

i then cleaned then and replaced the pins (replacing the pins would not be included)

half the batch where plated using antique nickel solution the other half plated using bright nickel solution. here is some photos of the antique nickel:

they have an interesting look with a dull colour. here is the bright solution:

remember these parts are old and very worn so the rust seen is from years of racing in dirt and wet mud. so a newish part would look much better without the rust.

i can only plate steel so no alloys. my main question to people is would anyone be interested? constructive comments are welcome
many thanks

lewis

*edit*

about pricing, anyone interested in some parts plated a picture of the parts would be needed to work out a price. the price will depend on size of parts etc. i understand my initial pricing was steep and price would depend on size of parts, how many parts etc.

hope this clears things up

team got nitro driver

www.gotnitroonline.com <----- check it out!
Old 24-11-2011
Banned

Me personally, No, Not my thing and would rather buy hop up parts than plating parts that would wear over time and need replacing anyway
Old 24-11-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

good idea, and im sure many will be interested, the only problem i can see is your pricing, for the bits doing in one picture is £40!!
Old 24-11-2011

thanks for the compliments,

i understand it is not everyones cup of tea.

i can plate brand new parts and the plating which will offer better protection then standard coating.

i have had alot of feedback about price it is my first time doing something like this and price would depend on amount of parts and size of parts wanted plating but something reasonable could be agreed upon.

many thanks

lewis

team got nitro driver

Old 24-11-2011
Banned

Thats not to say that its not top quality stuff!
Old 24-11-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Some good work there! With plating, preparation is essential to a good result, hence even a simple piece takes time. Prices will be high as a result.

Truth be told I doubt there is much of a market, and the reason I can say that is the chances are that's one of my kits you used!

I'm one of the people behind the Tec-Nic home plating kit which is often sold at classic bike shows - its actually my uncles business, but I'm the chemist behind the particular mix we use.

We sell kits to all sorts of people, lots for classic bikes, even some to F1 racing teams, but never for RC.

Interestingly though, the reason F1 and other race teams buy them is that plating makes parts very slightly larger. Where precision fit is vital, electroplating can 'grow' parts that are microns under size to the perfect fit.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 25-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Some good work there! With plating, preparation is essential to a good result, hence even a simple piece takes time. Prices will be high as a result.

Truth be told I doubt there is much of a market, and the reason I can say that is the chances are that's one of my kits you used!

I'm one of the people behind the Tec-Nic home plating kit which is often sold at classic bike shows - its actually my uncles business, but I'm the chemist behind the particular mix we use.

We sell kits to all sorts of people, lots for classic bikes, even some to F1 racing teams, but never for RC.

Interestingly though, the reason F1 and other race teams buy them is that plating makes parts very slightly larger. Where precision fit is vital, electroplating can 'grow' parts that are microns under size to the perfect fit.
hello there,

thanks for your interesting input. equipment we use has been bought separately so no complete kit bought. i was just seeing if people would be interested in parts being done i know it isn't a big market.

many thanks

lewis

team got nitro driver