Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > North West

Old 30-01-2013

Default 2nd June - LDA tyres

Woody - so what’s the plan at LDA for tyres as the NW is open class for tyres. Are we going to spec tyres here? I don’t want to go out and buy tyres what may or may not work at a large cost?

Tony
Old 30-01-2013

Hi Tony,

Sorry, I know you aimed this at Woody, but I don't think you need to spec a tyre. Hotshots work reasonably well, however most people use silver mini spikes.

Why don't you come this Friday and get a feel for it? This Friday will be in the main arena where I expect Mark will put the regional track. We normally use the smaller side one so this will be a good chance to get a flavor of things to come.

Be good to see you and anyone else there.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2013
Banned

There is no tyre rule.

Silver Spikes, are the key.
Old 03-02-2013

Apparently silvers clog up and that's not what Mark runs.

This is a very different surface to what we run normally and if the track was grass, astro or carpet any tyres will work and I would not give a flying sh1t, but it's not.

If I turn up and people are running tyres that are not normal for the uk then what happens then? I just want clarification of what tyres work and what does not.

Surely it's in the clubs interest for this type of track to spec tyres.....

Tony
Old 03-02-2013

blue minispike They work and rib front tyre
Old 03-02-2013

would proline step pins not work? thats what use to be used at tiverton which was the same type of surface(horse s**t)?
Old 03-02-2013
Mad Member

blue minispikes and ballistic buggy tires give reasonable grip. However, the tyre that MArk uses is not a "normal" tyre, but is commercially available, I understand. Can't remember the name of them right now though.

it seems the harder the compound the better the grip - not sure how that turns out when all the loose stuff is off the racing line and the hard surface underneath comes into use.
Old 04-02-2013
Mad Member

Default LDA

Guys I'm with Tony probably won't be attending this regional unless the tire situation is sorted we need to nominate a tire so that it is fair to all and not just home advantage, nothing worse than turning up and not being prepared with tires etc especially if you are doing two classes on one day.

Seems to be a lot of people concerned with this regional and if your not careful not many will attend.
Old 04-02-2013

Whats all the fuss about , i remember last year at southlakes i think every different car in a heat were on different tyres , tyre choice is part of racing if people are that bothered then go too a club meeting and do some testing see what works best for you i know thts what ill be doing , theres 4 month before this regional so plenty of time so get some testing in the club runs every week
Old 04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkygrump81 View Post
Whats all the fuss about , i remember last year at southlakes i think every different car in a heat were on different tyres , tyre choice is part of racing if people are that bothered then go too a club meeting and do some testing see what works best for you i know thts what ill be doing , theres 4 month before this regional so plenty of time so get some testing in the club runs every week
Couldnt agree more, you cant expect drivers to share what theyve been testing for weeks and weeks. Where would the advantage be on race day? if you want to know what works best, go and see for yourself!!
Old 04-02-2013

But a little help on what tyres to chose will make the day more enjoyable. The better the day, the more likely people are to return to the club as they know its good. If you spend your runs changing tyres then it won't be as fun.
Old 04-02-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by losichris View Post
Couldnt agree more, you cant expect drivers to share what theyve been testing for weeks and weeks. Where would the advantage be on race day? if you want to know what works best, go and see for yourself!!
Too True!

Ive got my setup bang on for LDA, But Southlakes & Barrow are an unknown.
I'm not moaning about tyres!

LDA is on every Friday night, There must me 10+ meetings to test tyres before the regional
Old 04-02-2013

Sorry guys I am not moaning I just want to know what tyres people are running - How can I go on Friday night for a practise if I don’t have tyres.

Matt what tyres do you run?

Although it is completely baffling how you can compare Southlake’s and Barrow which are on grass to LDA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleman758 View Post
Too True!

Ive got my setup bang on for LDA, But Southlakes & Barrow are an unknown.
I'm not moaning about tyres!

LDA is on every Friday night, There must me 10+ meetings to test tyres before the regional
Old 04-02-2013

What tyres do you run Chris ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by losichris View Post
Old 04-02-2013

I agree with Matt, turn up with some mini spikes you'll be fine. Some debate on which compound is best, blue or silver, I think Mark running ballistics.

And we had a great night racing on Friday, in the larger hall where the regional will be, but how many of you turned up to try the place or do some testing?

It was that good people were asking Mark to add an extra round in, even though it meant a late night, we had a vote and over 2/3's wanted the extra round. It was a really good nights off road racing.

LDA are having a GP day on the 17th of March so why not get booked in? You'll have a good days racing, understand what works and leave with a set up for the regional?
Old 04-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy110m View Post
And we had a great night racing on Friday, in the larger hall where the regional will be, but how many of you turned up to try the place or do some testing?
To cold, dirty, smelly, noisey for me

Watched the videos and did the surface stay that loose all night ?

Plus, it looked very "open" for tenth. A tad boring!
Old 04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePimlott View Post
Watched the videos and did the surface stay that loose all night ?
Have to agree with you there Mike, the track did look really loose in that vid, some big rooster tails, might try a pair of these....

Could just be how it showed up in the vid though!

I understand the concerns expressed. Although Schumacher minis apparently work is something more exotic and less common in UK supply going to give a competative edge.

Hopefully as the regional gets closer more meetings will have been run and we will get a much better idea of the "best" tyres.
Old 04-02-2013
Banned

Tony, LDA Drives like a grass track with no grass...

I run silvers on my Vega, Ive got it dialled, PM me your email address il send you my setup sheet.
There is a loose layer, but that quickly gets moved to the side, The racing line develops really nicely into an almost sticky clay.

Its a really great surface!,

Also don't forget the track in the video is for 1/8th so it is alot bigger. I think it was way to big for 1/10.
Old 04-02-2013

If you would like to no what works at the south lakes why not pop up before our regional in august and find out .

http://slmcc.freeforums.org/outdoors-2013-t1557.html

We are at the regional site full time as from march
Old 04-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleman758 View Post
The racing line develops really nicely into an almost sticky clay.

Are you sure ur talking about LDA ? it stats loose and gets looser. i saw birms developing of line last time. its a million miles away from any sort of clay track. think more racing on the beach with added sh1t...