Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 10-10-2023

Exclamation UK tracks converting to dirt?

Hi!

I'm in Sweden, and we locally have one of the few remaining 1/10 dirt tracks (real dirt, not the US kind of dirt) on the country.
The sad thing is that this requires a lot of work to keep the track in decent condition.
And people around the country don't come to visit that often because why would they have one dirt car for just this track?

Some of us have grown a bit tired of this and looked at cars and tires, and of course other tracks.
And to me it looks like the manufacturers of both cars and tires are focusing on developing their astro/carpet cars and tires.

SO! We had a big meeting today about this topic. Now we didn't really get anywhere, but at least we got the gears moving in people's heads.
One of the opposition claimed that tracks in the UK are starting to convert their astroturf tracks to dirt tracks.
I do listen to some UK based podcasts and watch some live races from the UK. And I have heard nothing about this. But I might have missed it.
But I do get the feeling this person is just took this info out of his butt just to add weight to his argument against this decision

Now. Is there any truth to this statement?

Last edited by zeno; 11-10-2023 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2023
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Don't really know of any 10th tracks converting from astro to dirt. There are a few grass tracks which when the grass has been scrubbed form the racing line, have the closest thing to dirt.

We ran RHR dirt for several years, including the 2015 Euros, but have found the maintenance far too high given the UK climate. We have covered the dirt with primafelt GT, some of which has been down 12 years and is wearing extremely well. We use the Schumacher Honeycomb in the dry and silver mezzo in the wet - you might call the track 'simulated dirt', we always get good feedback from those racing on the surface, so there does appear to be an appetite for lower traction surfaces, but the maintenance that goes with it and restriction from running when very wet seem to outweigh a move to dirt in the UK.
Old 11-10-2023

If you are referring to 1/8 scale, then yes. There are some UK tracks that are being converted from astro to dirt.
Old 11-10-2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Don't really know of any 10th tracks converting from astro to dirt. There are a few grass tracks which when the grass has been scrubbed form the racing line, have the closest thing to dirt.

We ran RHR dirt for several years, including the 2015 Euros, but have found the maintenance far too high given the UK climate. We have covered the dirt with primafelt GT, some of which has been down 12 years and is wearing extremely well. We use the Schumacher Honeycomb in the dry and silver mezzo in the wet - you might call the track 'simulated dirt', we always get good feedback from those racing on the surface, so there does appear to be an appetite for lower traction surfaces, but the maintenance that goes with it and restriction from running when very wet seem to outweigh a move to dirt in the UK.
Very interesting!
I'd say we have a quite similar climate over here. Will have to look up some more info on primafelt GT.
Any idea what ground prep was needed before laying down this primafelt GT?

Did a search for the carpet. Is this the same kind of carpet used for indoor tracks?

Last edited by zeno; 11-10-2023 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-10-2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph15to View Post
If you are referring to 1/8 scale, then yes. There are some UK tracks that are being converted from astro to dirt.
I'm sorry, I forgot to specify 1/10 off road. Will edit the post.
He might be refering to 1/8 then.
Old 12-10-2023
Mad Member

I've heard of no track converting to dirt
Old 13-10-2023
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Very interesting!
I'd say we have a quite similar climate over here. Will have to look up some more info on primafelt GT.
Any idea what ground prep was needed before laying down this primafelt GT?

Did a search for the carpet. Is this the same kind of carpet used for indoor tracks?
We just laid it straight onto the clay, it was very smooth prior to doing this though..

It is at Robin Hood Raceway, an example video here - https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=4211083998961415

Yes it is intended as indoor racing carpet
Old 24-10-2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
We just laid it straight onto the clay, it was very smooth prior to doing this though..

It is at Robin Hood Raceway, an example video here - https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=4211083998961415

Yes it is intended as indoor racing carpet
Thank you for the info!
Will share it at our next meeting.