Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 28-07-2018
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRob View Post
Hi,
I'm hoping some of you experienced guys can give me a hand with a few Lazer questions please seeing as I've just got hold of one. It's what is at least predominantly a ZX-R but not convinced it is totally ZX-R.
1. Bit confused on the layshaft as it has the little one-way unit on the opposite side to the spur and have read about this being replaced to get permanent 4wd but can't find a reference to how that's done.
2. Rear UJ's are worn out (fronts are okay). It looks like the Optima re-re might fit and then it can take the screwed on hex - or is there better option?
3. What exactly is the advantage of the blue Pureten steering? It looks more solid, but is that it? Looks like they're hard to find too...
4. Might fit the ZX-S shell as I prefer the look of it, but can anyone confirm if on the Kamtec version the undertray kicks up at the edges? i.e. the bodyshell side pods don't sit as low as the chassis (like the Optima Mid shells)
Thanks for any help.
Ive sent a pm and seeing pis i can help more but here are some answers to help you out.

Kamtec did the shell for me and is a replica of an original zxs shall and as in this thread you can see it just fits. The shells thicker than normal plus not line markings so patience is required and common sense to cut it out perfectly. Its basically a mid shell updated as the team hated the zx shell so opted for the mid which progressed into a zxs shell.

Blue steering raises the alloy plate thus stops bump steer, it makes the car more user friendly and changes the cars attitude in and out of corners. You can now buy black ones and believe the part numbers in the last ten pages somewhere, its used on one of the mid motored 2wd cars.

Ujs, LA245 id buy two sets, one a perfect fit for the rear but you need to take the axles from the other set for the front and by the longer front bone, i forget the part number but will edit this later with the correct part number. Youll need pin hexes to use the mip type ujs.

You can just tighten up the oneway to lock it to prrmanent 4wd, but would suggest trying it first with the oneway to get an idea on whats preferred as im quicker with the oneway working.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 28-07-2018

Ta.
Not decided on shell yet, I do have a ZX-R repro painted already (wished I'd never sold the Lazer) but haven't dug it out yet - but I do prefer the Mid shell lines too.
Hadn't picked up on the steering being done in black too so will hunt that out, although likely to try it with kit first as I liked it previously...
Only need rear shafts so will look at LA245
I want the car to be 4wd permanently really. Really don't like my YZ10 with a one way so converted that. Surface it'll be used on is carpet but not massively high grip compared to modern standards and it'll have probably a 7.5 in it.
Old 28-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRob View Post
Ta.
Not decided on shell yet, I do have a ZX-R repro painted already (wished I'd never sold the Lazer) but haven't dug it out yet - but I do prefer the Mid shell lines too.
Hadn't picked up on the steering being done in black too so will hunt that out, although likely to try it with kit first as I liked it previously...
Only need rear shafts so will look at LA245
I want the car to be 4wd permanently really. Really don't like my YZ10 with a one way so converted that. Surface it'll be used on is carpet but not massively high grip compared to modern standards and it'll have probably a 7.5 in it.
LA36 is the dyed black version of the pure ten steering. Same product code is actually printed on the plastic tag
Answer UK team driver
Old 30-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
LA36 is the dyed black version of the pure ten steering. Same product code is actually printed on the plastic tag
I think you ment LA361 that is correct part nr Welshy
Old 30-07-2018

Sorry, typo doh!!
Answer UK team driver
Old 31-07-2018

Hi,quick question about the Shapeways 3D Printed La32 Front gearbox molds,how strong/durable are they? Are they a similar strength to the original gearbox molds?

Kyosho Optima Turbo,Optima Mid lwb,Lazer ZX,ZXR,Traxxas TRX1,Mardave Cobra, Rc10. Schumacher Procat & Bosscat
Old 31-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by knmtrip3 View Post
Hi,quick question about the Shapeways 3D Printed La32 Front gearbox molds,how strong/durable are they? Are they a similar strength to the original gearbox molds?
I broke one but that was some time ago. I know that now some companies give you the option for a nylon based plastic which should do the job quite well.
Answer UK team driver
Old 01-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
I broke one but that was some time ago. I know that now some companies give you the option for a nylon based plastic which should do the job quite well.
Thanks,i’ll get a set ordered ready for the next time i strip the car down. 👍

Kyosho Optima Turbo,Optima Mid lwb,Lazer ZX,ZXR,Traxxas TRX1,Mardave Cobra, Rc10. Schumacher Procat & Bosscat
Old 18-08-2018

Ok done some testing on carpet using my shorty design holder. In the far back placement car wasnt sure of itself and couldnt react great in and out of corners so moved forwards by one hole and it improved, still was unsure. A friend of mine Glyn Jessop said something that I stupidly didnt take into account and that was did you account for the weight difference from saddles to the shorty and I didnt DOH!!!

Well i added two 15g weights on the front chassis holes designed for the nicad cells, one on either side plus raised the rear end spring by 4mm.

Car was much better, two laps improvement, rears spot on and feels dialed, however still got issues with the front, it still feels nervous and unsure how to go into the corner so think the issues weight on the front so added 40g in between the servo and esc in the middle of the chassis. If that doesnt work then will play with the shocks.

I know how well this car went with nicads and nimh and was stupidly quick on the infield so still some work required to get it to how it was.
Answer UK team driver
Old 18-08-2018

Any pics of the shorty lipo holder?
Old 18-08-2018

Not really, just these few
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _20180818_221208.jpg (416.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg _20180818_221009.JPG (472.7 KB, 19 views)
Answer UK team driver
Old 18-08-2018

I built it with several holes to move the shorty from the back to the centre poles on the chassis giving weight choices for the surface your racing on. Ive also used the Lazer ZXS top deck tensioner on the brace, its situated in front of the shorty and stops the belt hitting the shorty, so if you move the pack forwards so does the tensioner. Yes it changes the tension but i just loosen the L brace tensioner to counteract over tensioning the front belt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _20180818_221109.jpg (250.5 KB, 16 views)
Answer UK team driver
Old 22-08-2018

Hi guys, I'm starting to get into vintage racing and am getting some of the cars I had, or wanted when I was in my teens. A few years ago I bought an RC10 Worlds re release and have been really competitive against the modern buggies, and winning many races. Last year I built a Yokomo Works 93 from parts. A month ago I acquired my original Thunder Dragon I bought when I was 14. What a find, I couldn't believe it when I saw it in a box I bought. I've just bought a Losi JRX-Pro as I use to run one and loved the car. Thats still on its way from the US to me in New Zealand.

I've just had arrive today a Lazer ZXRR. I bought this in New Zealand from Kiwi Kruisa who has posted pictures of the car previously. I don't think he got to run the car, but its already entered in our Vintage Nationals at the end of November and will be running in the Mod class at this stage. I've started reading this thread and am only about 20 pages in, I'm reading from latest to oldest. Some really valuable info here and am learning heaps. I'll be giving the car a good clean up and going over this weekend and hopefully get it up and running.

First mod will be setting it up to run Shorties!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180823_082045.jpg (256.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Greg M; 22-08-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 26-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonladliam View Post
Top deck done, again needs some fine tuning but a start.

Any updates on this little project?
Old 26-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by type49rs View Post
Any updates on this little project?
In a month or two i will get this chassis and top deck made and then may sell my car which is just awaiting these two items
Answer UK team driver
Old 26-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
Hi guys, I'm starting to get into vintage racing and am getting some of the cars I had, or wanted when I was in my teens. A few years ago I bought an RC10 Worlds re release and have been really competitive against the modern buggies, and winning many races. Last year I built a Yokomo Works 93 from parts. A month ago I acquired my original Thunder Dragon I bought when I was 14. What a find, I couldn't believe it when I saw it in a box I bought. I've just bought a Losi JRX-Pro as I use to run one and loved the car. Thats still on its way from the US to me in New Zealand.

I've just had arrive today a Lazer ZXRR. I bought this in New Zealand from Kiwi Kruisa who has posted pictures of the car previously. I don't think he got to run the car, but its already entered in our Vintage Nationals at the end of November and will be running in the Mod class at this stage. I've started reading this thread and am only about 20 pages in, I'm reading from latest to oldest. Some really valuable info here and am learning heaps. I'll be giving the car a good clean up and going over this weekend and hopefully get it up and running.

First mod will be setting it up to run Shorties!
Welcome and this thread is a bible for all who race these stunning cars. Hope it helps you for those nationals
Answer UK team driver
Old 26-08-2018

Also for your info on facebook theres a thread called kyosho lazer zx fan page so worthwhile joiningcas there is a worldwide following.
Answer UK team driver

Last edited by Welshy40; 26-08-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-09-2018

Default Lazer ZX Truggy

Hi All,

I've just tried my new Lazer truggy conversion and it runs great! It was a relatively long project (~6 months) but I am very pleased with the end result.

I built this car in order to try to get my son into the hobby. It is obviously not for racing but it still has a number of cool features:

- a ZX-sport chassis, ZXR ball diffs, ZX top deck and belt cover, rubber sealed bearings from Avid.

A number of custom 3D printed parts:

- top deck mount to fit the shorter motor plate from AR-products (did not order the right one, my mistake...)
- battery tray, stopper posts, and battery straps
- servo and antenna mounts,
- side plate, collar
- longer front and rear arms to fit the Kyosho RT6 cvds (84 mm long) and wheels

- front bumper, rear tower, and wing mount from Alcyon's shop on Shapeways (very nice stuff!)

I also fitted a Schumacher spur gear, slipper pads, and slipper spring along with Traxxas big bore shocks.
The steering plate and shock towers (4mm in the front, 3mm in the rear) are from Fiberlyte.
The Ti turnbuckles are from 3Racing.

I still have to figure out a way to mount a stadium truck body on this car, using either a custom front bumper or a part to attach on the front shock tower.

I attached a few pictures below:

DSC_0523.jpg

DSC_0538.jpg

DSC_0539.jpg

DSC_0540.jpg

DSC_0542.jpg

Ubi

Last edited by Ubiquitous; 08-09-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-09-2018
Mad Member

Nice work Ubi hope your son gets the bug for rc cars
Old 08-09-2018

Wow, superb work. Loving it, brings back great memories of my ZX truck
Answer UK team driver