Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 05-11-2007
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

compare them to the few thousand people we have registered here and youl find it isnt average
Old 06-11-2007

ifuonlyknew; you said:

that right Street Weapon direct drive

Can you please elaborate on this? I can use this in the xx-4? Is it a direct bolt in?

ifuonlyknew: Thank you for sharing all that info. I started this thread not just to complain, but to find out what to do about it. It's very much appreciated.

I also agree that messing with the car is what makes the sport fun. But I've just been frustrated because it has been so very high maintenance for me since day 1. My car, probably through my own fault, hasn't gone without breaking or doing something out of the ordinary on an outing since I bought it. Coming from a background of rc tunnel boat racing, making mods is the norm. I am obsessed with the X-5 and X-6 because they are the culmination of that brand of thinking.

Developing the car for 8+ years? Is your last name Losi, by any chance?

Any more pics you can post are a big help too. They are worth 1000 words...
Old 10-11-2007

Yes it is essentially a "direct bolt in" you also need a special non-slipper spur gear. It greatly reduces the rotating mass of the whole assembly, but I must warn you it's not for everyone. I sold one to a friend of mine and he sold the car it was in and the guy that bought it didn't like it, at all. You have to be smoooooth on the throttle, other wise you will skip belts like there's tomorrow. Which will eventually, as you can expect, lead to their inevitable failure (probably about 1 min. before the end of a3 at a national while your in the lead, and you have to win because you got second in a1 and won a2 but the guy who won a1 got second in a2 and whoever places highest in a3 wins). Funny how parts always fail at the worst possible time. Anyway, the spur gears are not to hard to find, I myself just buy three or so at a time, make sure my gear mesh is PERFECT(one time after some maintainence I had gone back and re-set it three times just to make sure it was perfect, afterall I can't just walk into my LHS and grab one of these off the wall), and use the aluminum motor clamp (who doesn't), so the gear mesh doesn't change. Good news for all of you (myself included) who don't like the front a arms. I have found someone who makes DELRIN ones and very soon he should have a batch available for us. More to come on this later. Keep the ?'s coming.
Old 13-11-2007
Mad Member

Wow reading through this post I have found the car that I purchased from E-Bay which was Ben Jemisons old ride.

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/4wdbatleyregional2007/bigimages/OOP_4169.jpg

I have since converted it to an X-5 squared and am liking the philosophy of modding as I enjoy modelling just as much as the racing.

ifuonlyknew: I am really interested in those new front delrin wishbones keep us posted.

I am still getting to grips with setting the belt tension correct but am liking the handling of the car over anything else that I have driven.
Old 13-11-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

Lol, if the conversion kit had come before the F2s Bens car was going to become an X5 squared.

If you like the modding have a look here http://www.4wdrc.com/tech.htm

And especially at this http://www.4wdrc.com/tech_belt_adjuster.htm , Id taken this idea a little further
The difference is the ball end I use on the tensioner is a Losi TI one with a hex head in the top, so by drilling a small hole in the ball cup I can instantly tighten/slacken the ball end and instantley adjust the tension in small increments.

Also after swapping the centre pulley for the xx4 one, the easiest way to massivley reduce belt skip and allow lower belt tension is to mount a roller bearing just in front of the drive pulley so if the belt tried to lift over the teeth, the roller stops it.

There is loads of other stuff in the X Factory section

Nortech is ACE!
Old 13-11-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to xx4-nutter

thats a well good idea that
Old 13-11-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

Neither idea was mine, but both work very well indeed. I did both the same day, well once Ash sent me the tensioner turnbuckle (thanks again) it took about 20 mins for both.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 14-11-2007
Mad Member

Thanks for the link Dan. I have been considering doing the mod since I saw it down at Lesro a couple of weeks ago. I have just found a turn buckle in my spares box so just need to find a couple of balljoints and I should be able to do the mod. I have ordered the X-5 squared dual pulley upgrade with wider belt.
Old 14-11-2007
Mad Member

Dan

Surely you should be posting you Xfactory mods, in the Xfactory section???

http://www.screwz4rc.co.uk

Old 14-11-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

Was just replying to someone who mentioned points after converting to an X5. It's no big deal is it.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 31-12-2007

fair enough its a problem changing a belt but if you get it right it'll last ages with out any maintenance.

i run a 5.5 lrp vector in mine no probs

also belt driven cars didn't do very well at the worlds (flat track??) but different tracks suit different cars. on the uk's bumpy rutted tracks, i need the xx4 to be fast and so do a few others.

if we had the worlds in the uk there would be so many uk drivers in the top finals it would be awesone.

are we getting a worlds in the uk???? how cool

Compositekit.co.uk
Trishbits
Old 02-02-2008

Talking TEAM LOSI RACING RULES!

Chris (IFYOUONLYKNEW) Clemson. Whats up bud how is things going well be running lipos in the losi tomorrow (SUPER BOWL SUNDAY) AND RACING YEAH THAT ALL GOOD ANYWAYS QUIT TELLING THESE MATES ABOUT YOUR TIPS YOU'LLL HAVE TO START CHARGING THEM FOR THE ADVICE! LOL
AE.
Airtronics.
JConcepts.
Xcelorin Brushless Systems...

Is what these race cars are powered by!

Brian Mincks: