Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Mansfield RC Club

Closed Thread

Old 16-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutoid View Post
I am just a bit miffed about it all to be honest. If foams are such a threat to the win at all cost brigade then why arent they used by them. Alleged quicker parts wear would almost be cancelled out by not buying a set of rears each week even though this wouldnt be an issue if you can stay near the top.
The argument is flawed and to me it seems like sour grapes just because Ian won the A on them.
What will be next different classes for mini-pin tread depth.....
Why would there be sour grapes about ian winning last wednesday? Well done to him i say good clean consistant runs, maybe its not about tyres/drivers etc. as Ben put it, archery, dirt in the carpet? As an earlier post of mine states, why run foams when all of the major races we attend only allow pins(bridgeford) or mini spikes(regionals) that way you get to know how your car works and performs on said tyres. Just a thought. And if i win, all good, if i dont, must try harder, im not a win at all costs kind of guy, i race for the competition and fun element of it

Last edited by dicky14; 16-07-2014 at 07:41 AM. Reason: crap grammer again, must try harder, lol
Old 16-07-2014

Just read the bottom of your post Steve, that is laughable mate, I find new pins very quick but very edgy, worn pins are more consistant, so to come out with that reply. PLEASE!!!!!! LOL
Old 16-07-2014

It seems part of the problem is Mansfield is seen as 'practise night' for races elsewhere.

What will it take to elevate the club to full on 'race night' status in it's own right?
Old 16-07-2014

Rich ,we dont use mini spikes indoor do we to help with regional setups.
We could use mini pins for about 8months to get our cars setup for about 6 bridgeford buggy blitz races and then have to alter it all as the grip levels differ.
I didnt want this to get into a mass debate(err that just sounds so wrong lol)even though its been quite fun,i just wanted a valid reason for the decision to re-class the tyre,from our view it just appeared very knee jerk reactionary after last wednesday.
If carpet has in fact been tampered/soiled etc then surely our foam tyres would be affected more.
I am so much on the defensive with this issue until straight and proven facts about the differences can be presented.
Old 16-07-2014

this as not come out of the blue it has been on the cards for about 6 weeks odd when i first tryed them . know 1 point has turned the decision to make a foam class apppear you are very welcome ask anyone at the track.
i told adam about a month ago that a foam class was coming.
all this and it could turn out that numbers just dont add up and a couple of weeks later its back to normal.

awesome.
Old 16-07-2014

Best thing we can do and is how it should be done anyway is have a vote on it tonight before we start Gareth please.
Old 16-07-2014

This is a easy one most clubs will separate classes if there is a advantage or a disadvantage but me personally I would want a foam class to see how I fair against other drivers on them tyres, how do you know who is doing what I unless you study everyone's times in different heats for them people running foams to see if your faster or slower. It's about making thing neutral for cars so it's driver skill that prevails not a advantage or a disadvantage from things you add or take away from a car and I understand the cost element but there is about 6 people running this class now so there is enough to make a separate heat for them selfs to pit there wits against each other and Gareth did mention this could happen weeks ago but at the end of the day like every club it's a committee decision like taking away Sundays which I am not happy about but fully understand why is the decision was made, the brca set the rules in our hobby and they would separate foams if they were involved and remember it's only toy cars so it's not worth getting to upset about it Gareth is a fair person and doesn't make decisions lightly he try's to please everyone were he can and does a great job running Mansfield rc Nuffi sed
Old 16-07-2014

I think the issue here is the minority running the foams every week haven't asked to be put in a separate heat, the decision is being made by the majority that run pins.

The drivers running venoms last year asked for a separate heat.

I honestly believe the chassis design is of more importance than the foams/pins. I know im quicker with the 22 than I was with the bmax2, same electrics same tyres. In turn I was faster on pins with the yoke.

Ian, I haven't read what I would consider emotive posts so don't think anyone is upset, just wanting an honest discussion with some evidence on why foams should run separate. Maybe the emotion is from people who haven't taken the time to contribute? I don't know what's discussed in the main pit area between rounds.

Gareth mentioned he was in the middle (not a nice place) which suggests an anti-foam group exists. Where's their input?
Old 16-07-2014

Who's actually on this "commitee" I keep reading about?
Old 16-07-2014

This should be discussed at the club me thinks see you all there
Old 16-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLakin View Post
Who's actually on this "commitee" I keep reading about?
That would be me, John Jones and Gareth.

Sorry I couldn't make tonight I had to stay late at work. I really wanted to talk about this and sort it out.Hopefully Gareth hasn't been hammered to much LOL...

I've been reading all the post and thought I'd would chip in.

Both type of tyres have Pros and Cons and everyone's points are valid.

The mini pins are faster than foams but in my opinion only for two rounds when new. So by the end of the night foam will have more grip than used set of pins, so you may have an advantage in the final. Foams are cheaper to run and don't wear the carpet as much, which is good.

I did seen the wear on Rich's TM2 after he ran the venoms and it was bad, so I understand why some (including me) may be reluctant to use them.

So the question is, do foams give you an advantage over the mini pins?

The committee did discuss the use of foam over a month ago and did agree that if they became popular we would run them in the own heat. Not because people may starting beating others, but for the opposite reason. We thought that if they were slower than pins and if people wanted to run them due to cost issues they may have had a dis-advantage, so it would only fair for them to run in their own heat.

Everyone will have their own opinion to whether there is an advantage or not but I do agree with Gareth that if there are enough people running them, then they should run together. However this is a club and it wouldn't be here if everyone stop going because they weren't happy. I think the fairest way to solve this, unless its not already been sorted tonight, I will talk to Gareth and John and put a vote on oople where everyone can have their say. When the result are in we will run as per the majorities wishes.

Obviously I've not seen Gareth or John so I will post a 'vote' if they agree. Hopefully this will bring the issue to a close and the thread can get back on track.
Old 17-07-2014
oOple Advertiser

I haven't been able to race recently due to work. Here's how I see it...its a historical fact that foam tyre cars and rubber tyre cars go in a different heat class, that's what has happened since the early 80's when I started racing.

The only sticking point is the fact we are a small club and both classes will be pretty dull due to few racers in both types of heat.

When I called in last night it seemed to me pretty equal in numbers (9 in each class?)

I'll be honest I don't give a flying fart what tyres other people are running on their cars on a club night at least, and in my opinion there are good and bad points with both.

im going to close this thread because i can't be doing with keyboard warriors, and this subject needs to be discussed face to face, and voted on etc without the bitching that's starting to appear on here. (I've been asked to close it by another couple of people too)

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Closed Thread