Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 15-04-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Shawny500 View Post
Hiya buddy!! Do know anyone who as run the gull wing setup??
Hi Shawn,

yeah Lee Martin, Allan1875, and Danny have at RHR.

I picked some up today, so will bolt them on. for RHR and Batley astro.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 15-04-2015
Mad Member

Anyone tried the gullwing fr arms with std tower?

Guessing it should reduce the droop quite a bit and save having to run limiters? (not arrived yet, so just a guess!)
Old 15-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
Hi Shawn,

yeah Lee Martin, Allan1875, and Danny have at RHR.

I picked some up today, so will bolt them on. for RHR and Batley astro.
Will get some ordered tomorrow and a shock tower then buddy.
Old 16-04-2015

I picked up the gullwing arms and lower shock tower the other day aswell but yet to try it.

Do I need to remove the limiters from the front shocks (kit setup) or will it work with them in?

Chris
Old 16-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post
I picked up the gullwing arms and lower shock tower the other day aswell but yet to try it.

Do I need to remove the limiters from the front shocks (kit setup) or will it work with them in?

Chris
Should be fine, however Lee ran his no limiters in front and 1mm in rear at RHR. I've left mine how I built it but I actually can't remember what is in it. Can someone who has built theres as per kit measure the length of there shock shaft for me?

Cheers.

Edit: No need to measure shocks now. With 0 limiters in front the shaft is 22mm and the rear is 28mm with 1 limiter. Lee has pretty much run this with or without gull wings.
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs

Last edited by Allan1875; 16-04-2015 at 10:12 AM. Reason: New info
Old 16-04-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Useful info in this thread guys. Has anyone compared the gull wing front arms and tower setup back to back with the std arms ? Is there a vast difference or is this placebo effect ?

The car seems to generate so much front end I can't see when you'd ever need to go back to std front arms outdoors on astro ?

Only used mine once at RHR national. Felt great over the bumps but reacts faster than my brain works which made it pretty hard to drive in my opinion. I only managed one cleanish run which was a respectable 34th whereas Id normally manage at least three clean runs.

Having driven it hard I can see how the elite amongst us can be so fast with it though. Looking forward to trying the arms and extra weight.

See My Feedback

Old 16-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D View Post
Useful info in this thread guys. Has anyone compared the gull wing front arms and tower setup back to back with the std arms ? Is there a vast difference or is this placebo effect ?

The car seems to generate so much front end I can't see when you'd ever need to go back to std front arms outdoors on astro ?

Only used mine once at RHR national. Felt great over the bumps but reacts faster than my brain works which made it pretty hard to drive in my opinion. I only managed one cleanish run which was a respectable 34th whereas Id normally manage at least three clean runs.

Having driven it hard I can see how the elite amongst us can be so fast with it though. Looking forward to trying the arms and extra weight.
I haven't yet but I plan to. Weren't we in the same heat? I also had similar issues as it was my first meeting with the car on astro and was just trying to get used of it. Had at least 1 grip roll per heat which really messed me up to be honest, as it does at national level.

The most frustrating thing about my grip rolls on both days of the weekend is I never ended up back on my wheels, everytime I needed a marshall. One of my grip rolls in 2wd cost me dearly as I'd have been around 25th in round. It's a new car and most of us won't have had near the track the time that top guys will have had with the car. We just need to persevere and ride the learning curve.
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs

Last edited by Allan1875; 16-04-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 16-04-2015

I experienced a lot of grip roll on my first outing too Allan, I'm still trying to cure it.

Chris
Old 16-04-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan1875 View Post
I haven't yet but I plan to. Weren't we in the same heat? I also had similar issues as it was my first meeting with the car on astro and was just trying to get used of it. Had at least 1 grip roll per heat which really messed me up to be honest, as it does at national level.

The most frustrating thing about my grip rolls on both days of the weekend is I never ended up back on my wheels, everytime I needed a marshall. One of my grip rolls in 2wd cost me dearly as I'd have been around 25th in round. It's a new car and most of us won't have had near the track the time that top guys will have had with the car. We just need to persevere and ride the learning curve.
Yeah same heat Allan. I messed up round one with my own errors. Sat out round two because the rain ruined our heat didn't it , then did the 34 and crashed again a few times in the last quali for a 50 odd placing. Think I finished F4. Last year I was C3 with a TM2 v1. That didn't feel as nimble or as special but was far easier to predict. Someone punted me off in the final with 30 secs left at an apex or else I'd have finished second behind Kyle. Thanks for that . I feel your pain mate. Felt like I was driving at only 6 tenths pace all day because the car was so edgy. Kudos to Lee and Tom. They made it look so smooth. Personally think it would be a lot easier to drive with a slightly longer wheelbase. It feels very similar to how the SV1 did before they released the +8mm chassis to me. Clearly it's very capable in the right hands as it is but I wouldn't say it felt easy to drive with my setup. Let's hope the arms and extra weight make the difference !

See My Feedback

Last edited by Rich D; 16-04-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 16-04-2015

Quote:
Yeah same heat Allan. I messed up round one with my own errors. Sat out round two because the rain ruined our heat didn't it , then did the 34 and crashed again a few times in the last quali for a 50 odd placing. Think I finished F4. Someone punted me off in the final with 30 secs left at an apex or else I'd have finished second behind Kyle. Thanks for that . I feel your pain mate. Felt like I was driving at only 6 tenths pace all day because the car was so edgy. Kudos to Lee and Tom. They made it look so smooth. Personally think it would be a lot easier to drive with a slightly longer wheelbase. It feels very similar to how the SV1 did before they released the +8mm chassis to me. Clearly it's very capable in the right hands as it is but I wouldn't it felt easy to drive with my setup. Let's hope the arms and extra weight make the difference !
Our final was absolute carnage mate, I got punted about 8 times. I was going quick too and everytime I got nearer the front, punted again.

I think i actually finished F5 after being almost last, twice!

Totally agree with you though and I think we will get the car nearer where we want it. It wasn't a very forgiving track for mistakes either as it was so fast and flowing.
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 16-04-2015

How much weight were you running in your car's?

Chris
Old 16-04-2015

If you guys look at Lee's setup from the weekend at Rhr he had a full 110g under the Lipo and the 20g lmr plate at the front

Nick Priest

http://www.midlandsraceway.co.uk/

http://model-car-racer.co.uk

For the best PERMANENT Indoor Off Road circuit in the West Midlands.
Old 16-04-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I didn't run the RHR national track, but at the Bradby cup i chucked my yz2 down with my indoor slippy floor/worksop setup on, and it was super drivable, no grip roll and not edgy. far less so than my bmax4 that i had been running, and so felt lots faster than the 4wd.
Our regional is at RHR next week, and have just been preping my car with gull wing wishbones, etc. might hang fire and try get down for a practice run.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 17-04-2015
Mad Member

Il start testing this week and get some setups on here. I like a car easier to drive! I've got every hop up for it this week and should finish build today !
Old 17-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post
How much weight were you running in your car's?

Chris
We all ran very similar. I had 15g in the front, 100g under the lipo (saddle shape weights) and 20g under the motor.
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 17-04-2015

Default Tyres

Were you guys using mini pins or spikes ?

There was a lot using mini pins on the rear of the 2WD at the Bradby cup ,
It was a dry day tho .
Old 17-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkyjohnson75 View Post
Were you guys using mini pins or spikes ?

There was a lot using mini pins on the rear of the 2WD at the Bradby cup ,
It was a dry day tho .
Only minispikes allowed at Nationals. We had yellow minispikes rear and low profile staggers (non-cut), on the front. The non-cut staggers are important as these calmed the car a lot too.
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs
Old 17-04-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazhillAE View Post
Il start testing this week and get some setups on here. I like a car easier to drive !
Good man. Me too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan1875 View Post
We all ran very similar. I had 15g in the front, 100g under the lipo (saddle shape weights) and 20g under the motor.
I had a full sized servo fitted ( people rarely mention this but it makes more difference than 20g IMO ) 20g in the front under the steering bridge, 50g under Lipo ( probably not enough ), 20g under the motor and another 20g under the gearbox.

See My Feedback

Old 17-04-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I also ran shocks on the rear of the wishbones. Assumed it would make it easier to drive shifting weight rearward slightly. Lee and Tom ran them on the front of the arms. Did you get any information as to why Allan ?

See My Feedback

Old 17-04-2015

Quote:
Good man. Me too !

I had a full sized servo fitted ( people rarely mention this but it makes more difference than 20g IMO ) 20g in the front under the steering bridge, 50g under Lipo ( probably not enough ), 20g under the motor and another 20g under the gearbox.
I also use a full size servo as I don't like low profile, prefer the power of a full size.

Running the shocks on the rear will definitely make it easier to drive. I think Lee and Tom ran them on the front as with them on the rear, although it makes it easier to drive, it does make it lazier. I also ran them on the front and once I changed front tyres it calmed it down a lot.
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs