Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 08-06-2010

Default Model cars banned !

In the place where I often go to drive my buggys, signs have suddenly appeared saying “model cars not permitted in this area”.

I was just wondering – are councils allowed to suddenly ban model cars in specific places! If so, what would be the penalty for breaking the rule. I didn’t even see the new sign until a “helpful” dog walker pointed them out to me. There is nothing on the sign that says whether there is a fine or anything. It seems ridiculous to me, especially if it includes quiet electric models too.
Old 08-06-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

If it is a park, then I assume it would come under H&S for starters, just like in a lot of smaller parks, bikes, rollerblades and skateboards are banned. So contact your local councils Parks and leisure department.
Old 08-06-2010
Smirnoff Ice dancer

Send a message via MSN to ben

Probably in a park. A little while back i think there was a kid hit by a rc car?
Old 08-06-2010

You can thank the basher 1/8th scales for this kind of thing, they are way too heavy and out of control to be pelting around a park, only takes one or two to hit a kid and then that's the end of that. Plus nitros make horrid sounds that hasn't helped either
Old 09-06-2010

Send a message via MSN to T4miy4 Guy Send a message via Skype™ to T4miy4 Guy

When i used to run nitro in my local park ,i`d say 8/10 people would walk by and cast there opinon through a death stare, i gave up nitro and took to eleccy and now when i`m in the park they come over and chat about the buggy etc.. gotta say nicefrog is right here nitro is far to noisey and dangerous for a public park especially thoses Baja 1/5th scale there basically a chainsaw/motorcross imagine that going for 45mins when you`ve taken you kid`s there for a picnic .

Andy
Old 09-06-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Probably in a park. A little while back i think there was a kid hit by a rc car?
Old 09-06-2010

most council's have bye laws they can use and do like at W.L.R.C. in Hillingdon thats how they get round it
Old 09-06-2010

Sadly with the modern injury claim culture councils have to protect themselves. I have a friend who works for a london borough which was recently featured on tv in a program called the 'claim game' where a woman claimed compensation for a tree branch that hit her while sitting in the park. Sadly these claims cost councils millions a year and mean that many councils now have a whole department of civil servants employed to fight them and come up with inspection and safety regimes to protect themselves and protect YOUR money. Many of these bans have been put in place to prevent incidents of personal injury occuring, any rc car could cause injury and as there is no licensing to ensure that users are skilled enough to prevent this happening the simple answer is to ban.
Its not a noise issue is the simple version of what i am saying. Can you fight it? Well the best advice would be to arrange a meeting with the parks manager of your local council and ask if you could have an area dedicated for rc car usuage, bare in mind that there would be a cost involved in this and that someone will have to pay. If they say no the best way to look at it is that it is there land and they can make descisions as they see fit.

X4TE
X2C
Old 09-06-2010

A lot of people drive 1/8th scales on bmx tracks, in fact in the early 90s we had a 10th scale electric club here, but when the popularity of 10th scale died out in the early 90s the club went with it. Then the bmx club had to move locations so the council gave them the rc clubs lands and they dug up the track and built a bmx track on top of it. The bmx club have been complaining about 1/8th scales ripping up the track ever since
Old 09-06-2010

I'd like to know what's the worst that can happen if I now go there again with the signs up. Can someone come and fine me or something? the signs are right at the edge of the area, no way I would have seen them, and nothing about a fine. Maybe they could clamp my buggy I guess I could just walk away and not give me name. It just seems ridiculous to me that people can take their dogs there, and I can't apparently now take my buggy, which is much safer.
Old 09-06-2010
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

just a guess here Pete but must places that have banns up, have them there to protect the public from injury buy basher's/people using rc cars that don't have liability insurance,most rc cars shouldn't really be run in public places, and I'm guessing again your car could be confiscated and you hauled of arrested or even fined,saying you didn't see the sign just wont cut it mate, are you a brca member and do you have liability insurance,???
Old 09-06-2010

They have signs for nearly everything these days,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car%20850.jpg (37.9 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg no%20pidling%20in%20park.jpg (24.4 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg sexual harassment policy.jpg (40.8 KB, 192 views)
Old 28-09-2010

If they try to issue and fine they will say something like "im issusing fine under 234.1 by-law...DO YOU UNDER-STAND?"

the word understand in this context does not mean "do you know what my words mean"....but instead means..."do you STAND-UNDER my aurthority so I can issue you with this fine"

If in doubt ask to see the evidence...watch them fummble and then call for back up lol
Old 28-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

What annoys me is that people can take their dogs into parks, and let them sh1t everywhere and leaving it there for me or my kids to stand in!! and because there is no park warden around when its done, they can just plead ignorance and say it wasn't their dog....after all, the council aren't going to do a DNA test to determine it are they?

Yet we can't drive our cars around on the grass.

AND, the amount of IDIOTS that walk around with 'banned' dogs, off of leads that never get bloody pulled up either. And they're just waiting for a juicy kid to attack!

And its ok saying that having a 'dedicated area' for RC bashing would need to contain a charge is rubbish. There are loads of parks round here with BMX parks incorporated, and they don't have to pay to use them. So why should we?

Basically, they should ask for proof of liability insurance. If you have it you can continue, if you haven't then you're thrown off.
Old 28-09-2010

hopefully rules like this dont affect a 5year old with his 1/18th scale nikko!

What about all those cricket balls flying around to....they hurt!