Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 10-11-2014
Mad Member

Default Good starter car for my novice lads

Got two 7 year olds and thinking of getting them a car each, they've had a go of my losi XX and enjoyed it, so was wondering what would be a good starter setup for them?

I like losi's and the first 22 second hand seem to go for resonable prices, but are these a bit advanced for them?

Also what would be best motor/speedo wise, don't want it too quick for them?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2014
Mad Member

I have to say, I got my 7yr old son a Team C Jekyll. I got the kit, but it also comes as a RTR. It has been great so far, with no problems, pretty resilient, easy to drive etc.
My 2 5yr old daughters also have a go with it and it has passed all tests they can throw.
As always, every bit of advice you get will differ, but the above is my two pence worth.

FYI, you can pick up a new Jekyll in RTR for ~£70 on e-bay so they are not expensive

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 10-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz75 View Post
Got two 7 year olds and thinking of getting them a car each, they've had a go of my losi XX and enjoyed it, so was wondering what would be a good starter setup for them?

I like losi's and the first 22 second hand seem to go for resonable prices, but are these a bit advanced for them?

Also what would be best motor/speedo wise, don't want it too quick for them?

Thanks

ive found a good starter car which is 2wd is a schumacher sv or sv2. can get them for a good price 2nd hand, easy to set up and easy to drive
Old 10-05-2015

I would recommend the absima/Team C buggy, the TR02V2 is a great starter buggy that can be upgraded using higher model parts.
Old 10-05-2015

Steer clear of the Team C base spec buggies. The shocks are atrocious. No one will thank you for spilling shock oil all over the track, and this will happen a lot! There's insufficient thread to keep the shock caps secure even on minor jumps. The castle block is made of cheese, as are the arms.

The Losi 22 is probably the most robust buggy around, version 1.0 and 2.0.

It depends on how much you have to spend but I would recommend the ECX boost. The brushed power system is plenty quick enough for a beginner (Hobbywing esc) and the suppled Spektrum DX2e radio is top notch. The boost is from the same stable as the Losi 22 (Horizon Hobby).

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ecx-1-10...roducts/387877

Last edited by 200sx; 10-05-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-05-2015

my two both use rc10 b4's with lipo and old 27 turn brushed motors, son also has team c truck but that is fragile compared to the b4, with the reduced speed of the stock motor the b4's take virtually anything you can throw at them, handle well and are fun to drive too
Old 10-05-2015

Another vote for the cougar sv / sv2 my 5 year old has my old one and it's doing him proud. One mod I have done is to fit a tamiya Blackfoot bumper to the front which has done a great job of protecting the front wishbones so far.
Old 10-05-2015

My 5yr old son races a EMB-1 and a SV2 and both are great, All I do is turn the speed down on the handset and increase it as he gets better and I have fast motors in both of them so I can play with them as well
Old 12-05-2015

Hi
As you already said you cant go wrong with a losi. If they both have the same kit then you will only ever need to buy 1 make of spares too.

Also agree with 1 of the other fellas get a good motor and speedo and just turn down the speed on the transmitter.

your boys dont need any expensive electronics at this stage

Good luck and get them and yourself to your nearest club.
Join the fun !!
Old 12-05-2015

My 6 year old uses my old B4 and hasn't broken it yet, I put a 7 year old LRP esc in it and bought a cheap 13.5 track star motor, turned the speed down on transmitter and he is learning really well.
Old 12-05-2015

Hi

My son has been racing with me for about 4 years now, just have the same make cars and the same electrics, you can alter speeds with handsets and speedo's. that way its the same spares and you know what set up it needs.

Happy racing, the hardest part for you is forgetting how much it cost when he is hurtling down the straights and crashing it, that's what you have to forget so that you are not moaning at them all the time and put them off.

Steve
Old 12-05-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

22 in any form, kid tested and Indestructible, second hand B4's are good but the front end is not as meaty as the 22.

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117