Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8 Nitro Off Road / Rallycross

Old 13-09-2015

Default Newbie to Nitro- advice please

Hi

I have ordered an MP9 second hand and need to buy some products. It comes with a Lipo LiFe so I guess that is one thing covered.

Can anyone suggest what accessories I need and also parts

What are 'standard' tyres like Schumacher and BB for tenth scale
What .21 motor and pipe do I need, anything to avoid when fitting to an MP9, I need a pipe and manifold as well. I read the MP9 instructions and it stages 0.21 engine with (with crank and pilot shaft) SG. What does this even mean?
Fuel bottle / Starter box / Glow start / Glox plugs - I know Schuamacher use to do a start pack
Servos - i generally use Savox - what type of Specs do I need

Thanks

Trader Feedback Link
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88156
Old 13-09-2015

Default Kyosho fan?

I can see you rate the range of Kyosho cars and the MP9 certainly takes my fancy too if I were to try 1/8 off road again, I have just been looking at the S-Workz cars down here in Cornwall having dropped into their local circuit to see what is going on today!

To answer some of your questions though is easy whilst some others are purely down to budget and personal preference.

Lets start with the SG crankshaft, this came about many years back now for the 1/8 on-road circuit cars to enable the fitting of a true running clutch bell.
This was always a problem on the engines of that time that just had a threaded portion for fitting a prop nut as they were based on aircraft engines, so a threaded adaptor was required to fit a clutch and could never be set to run completely true, this caused vibration robbing performance and with the risk of the clutch adaptor coming loose, not good news!
The 'SG' style crankshaft has the usual threaded portion but is then extended with a plain diameter portion ground concentric with the main bearing diameter and it is on this portion that the clutch bell and drive gear rotates.

When it comes to motor choice then there are the 'budget' range of engines at around £100+ or the ranges of higher performance engines with more transfer and scavenging ports in the cylinder liner, their price range extends beyond £400 for some of these 'jewels of performance' but are only really needed by the 'serious' racers chasing glory!

Servos are a very personal choice but for steering and brakes, torque and holding power with reasonable speed are the obvious requirements and here again the price ranges from budget at £40 ish up to £100+. I would be looking at 10kg minimum with speed of .15sec or better.

Schumacher do a range of 1/8 buggy tyres in their 1/10 compounds and the same rules of application appear to apply, so an easy cross over here!

I hope some of this helps but it is difficult to be very specific on what are personal choices in most cases, as for the rest of the items you have already stated what is needed but don't forget the fuel!!!
Old 13-09-2015

Thanks for all the advice its really nice for you to take the time to respond. After reading a few things I was thinking then

Savox 1257 for the throttle and Savox 1258/56 for the steering
21-CLUBRACERCP Alpha Club Racer Edition .21 5P Off-Road Competition Engine (Turbo) + 2130 Pipe Combo - http://answer-rc.com/uk/en/164-alpha...ipe-combo.html
So now i know all 1/8 are 17m hexes I guess any wheels and either Schumacher Yellows (i assume they are the standard) or some Proline Fugitives/Blockades in X2 compound

Does that sound about right. I got a Sanwa RX481 RX ready so getting excited

Trader Feedback Link
Old 15-09-2015

Default Kyosho

Hi. Hope this helps.
I would use a Savox 1256 on the steering as it has a higher torque rating which is required for rallyx. As for tyres it really depends what surface you want to run on. Schumacher spirals for wet astro. Schumacher mini pins for dry astro. As for dirt you pays your money and takes your choice. I would go for x3 or x4 compound if you want to run Proline. Blockades work pretty much anywhere. The Alpha is a good engine but I would change the conrod after about a gallon of fuel. If you can stretch a little further have a look at a Picco 3tz. I use one and its fantastic. Os p3 plugs are the best you can buy. (In my opinion).
Old 16-09-2015
Mad Member

Hi Mart,
You have a lot to learn going from 10th to Nitro 8th.
Can be a minefield as you have found. Tires are down to what track you run on.
Where do you live and what track you going to be racing at?

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 16-09-2015

Default .21 engine

A good engine to think about at a very resonable price is the english made x-act pro 5
http://xact-rc.com/home/61-x-act-21-...ted-crank.html
A lot of members at my club run them with good results
Dex 410r
Kyosho MP6E
Kyosho RB6
Schumacher Cougar SV2
Radio Control News Facebook page click link
M B MODELS
Old 16-09-2015

Thanks for everyone's response

Really helpful

I live in France so looking for a track near by me which I'm struggling at the mo. My parents live in Benfleet Essex so I was going to look at ARC raceway in Essex to see if that could be a place

I've ordered an alpha clubman and pipe and a second hand MP9. Need to get servos and all the nitro bits. But very excited even if it's testing it in the local car park.

Thanks for everyone's advice. Looking forward to learning.

Trader Feedback Link