Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 02-08-2010

Default 2.4 Ghz vs AM for bashing advice please

Can anyone tell me if there is any advantage in upgrading my radiogear to a 2.4Ghz set, other than lack of interference form other bashers.
I am not racing, just using it in the park. I have several models, and need a new receiver for one. Just trying to decide whether to get a standard AM one or try the newer 2.4ghz stuff. thanks.
Old 02-08-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50932

no xtals to swap and some have built in fail safe
Old 02-08-2010
Mad Member

Agree with Mark, 2.4Ghz will get you and those around you peace of mind. It's designed to ensure that you only get one frequency, and others can't interfere with it by accidentally using the same one. Most also have fail safe if you lose the signal.

I would take the opportunity to go to 2,4Ghz from any crystal set (AM or FM) if I had the chance just to be sure that I minimised the chances of interference, and inadvertently being on the same frequency as someone else. HTH
Old 02-08-2010
Mad Member

If you haven't been having problems to date with your AM stuff, I don't think there is any particular reason to change.

2.4ghz, when working correctly, is highly unlikely to suffer from interference and crystal clashes are virtually impossible (there is a theoretical limit of 70-odd radios turned on at the same time I think). But, problems with 2.4gHz are not unheard of, especially among the lower cost radios.
Old 02-08-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
If you haven't been having problems to date with your AM stuff, I don't think there is any particular reason to change.

2.4ghz, when working correctly, is highly unlikely to suffer from interference and crystal clashes are virtually impossible (there is a theoretical limit of 70-odd radios turned on at the same time I think). But, problems with 2.4gHz are not unheard of, especially among the lower cost radios.
theres always the chance on interference wether from some1s radio or machinery i couldnt bash in my local park because of a frequency clash from something around prob from some machine in the factory over the river.

2.4ghz i have no problems now as for low priced gear stick a power cap in it so the esc doesnt cut the receiver power down and your sorted!
Old 02-08-2010

like most things the grass is always greener, if ya havent got a radio then go with 2.4 tho no need to spend loads, if ya am works fine then stay with it, trouble is with this rc hobby is like a pc ya set up is out of date with in no time at all, this sport is all about how much money you are willing to spend on ya set up if ya want to win, thats why I like to just bash around bmx parks ect.... then Im not forced to spend stupid amounts on rubbish I dont need and concentrate on having fun bashing with m8s with out speending loads.

Ive never had trouble with my am transmitter and reciever, works great just for a bash and cheep to replace if it breaks also its no prob to change crystals.
Old 02-08-2010
Mad Member

thats not true i race on a tight budget and buy everything i can second hand thats the way to go!people who say that its all about money are them who have to have the top of the range gear everytime somet new comes art they want it!i run a second hand tc3 and it nails people running brand new xrays and tc5's if you cant drive top of the range gear doesnt make any difference!go for what you want mate id go for 2.4ghz and sell your old gear make abit of mula back on it
Old 02-08-2010

bashing around parks ect is fun and free and no budget is needed appart from when you crash bad, no extortional season cost nor day race or practice charge and you dont need so many spares, race any car ect.. you can afford having fun with ya m8s, I prefer bmx tracks.
Old 02-08-2010

well my AM is working fine, so I guess I don't need to upgrade for now. I just need a couple more receivers. Anyone got any spare.. I will put something in the wanted section.