Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8th ELECTRIC Off Road

Old 08-03-2013
Mad Member

Question Need 1/8th electric advice please

Hi Guys,

A track has sprung up in Muscat, where I', currenty living & working... I visited today with my 1/10th electric buggy but it was useless against the 4x4 SCT's and 1/8th brushless buggies on 4S compared to my puny little wheels and 2S power. I quickly shoved my 1/10th back in my boot and borrowed someone elses toy.

I had a go of someone's Associated RC8e and also an SC8e, both felt more than capable on the track surface which is relatively deep sand with bumpy rutted sections and some hard packed areas although these are minimal.

So my question is, I want the most capable vehicle for the track you see below - the 2 I tried suffered huge under-steer, maybe due to the setup, tyre choice of perhaps just the deep sand??

I am a complete newbie when it comes to 8th scale but i want an electric car to go and show them who's boss!

Please help

Dan

The track:

Old 08-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB4 View Post
Hi Guys,

A track has sprung up in Muscat, where I', currenty living & working... I visited today with my 1/10th electric buggy but it was useless against the 4x4 SCT's and 1/8th brushless buggies on 4S compared to my puny little wheels and 2S power. I quickly shoved my 1/10th back in my boot and borrowed someone elses toy.

I had a go of someone's Associated RC8e and also an SC8e, both felt more than capable on the track surface which is relatively deep sand with bumpy rutted sections and some hard packed areas although these are minimal.

So my question is, I want the most capable vehicle for the track you see below - the 2 I tried suffered huge under-steer, maybe due to the setup, tyre choice of perhaps just the deep sand??

I am a complete newbie when it comes to 8th scale but i want an electric car to go and show them who's boss!

Please help

Dan

The track:

from the picture i would say 1/8th truggy BUT make sure it is allowed at the club if not then 1/8th buggy.

i have had a few buggys and so far i really love my rc8.2E

i am currently running a tekin motor and esc.

can i ask, how long are the finals? as this will govern the size motor that you will be running and the lipos cell size as well

what type of budget are you on? as this will also limit the elecric gear and rc kit?
Old 08-03-2013
Mad Member

Thanks for the reply!

Well they aren't really up to speed with qualifiers and finals yet, they just get together and giggle to each other whilst boasting who has the highest kV motor and largest capacity LiPo.....oh and if you can get a 4WD to wheelie into a corner (forgetting actually steering round the corner) then that seems to be a bonus

Anyway, sarcasm aside - I'm hoping to introduce 5 minute heats and finals but at the moment it's just stick the car on track and thrash around trying to beat everyone else for as long as the LiPo lasts - they all seem to just drive until the low voltage cutoff activates (ouch).....

I want to teach them a lesson! Slaughtered them all in 1/10th electric on road so plan to do the same in 1/8th!

How about an HPI Trophy Flux buggy or truggy?

Problem with RTR is that I'll want to use my own stick TX with Spektrum module and they all seem to come with wheel TX's.

I have several 2S LiPo's from my touring cars so guess I can just hook them up in series to make 4S.

Budget-wise, nothing budget but also I'm not going to be entering any IFMAR or EFRA events any time soon with it......

Cheers,

Dan
Old 08-03-2013

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

Well they aren't really up to speed with qualifiers and finals yet, they just get together and giggle to each other whilst boasting who has the highest kV motor and largest capacity LiPo.....oh and if you can get a 4WD to wheelie into a corner (forgetting actually steering round the corner) then that seems to be a bonus

Anyway, sarcasm aside - I'm hoping to introduce 5 minute heats and finals but at the moment it's just stick the car on track and thrash around trying to beat everyone else for as long as the LiPo lasts - they all seem to just drive until the low voltage cutoff activates (ouch).....

I want to teach them a lesson! Slaughtered them all in 1/10th electric on road so plan to do the same in 1/8th!

Problem with RTR is that I'll want to use my own stick TX with Spektrum module and they all seem to come with wheel TX's.

I have several 2S LiPo's from my touring cars so guess I can just hook them up in series to make 4S.

Cheers,

Dan

i am not to sure on the HPI range so i can nto comment on that sorry.

then if that is the case.... something in the 2200kv range and a good old 150 amp esc from hobbywing. that will get you at least 18 min on 5500 40c

yeah.. run the lipos in series and then get it working as a 4s just make sure you connect it all up correctly.

if they are not going to bother with long finals you can get a 2650 motor and anything over a 5400 40c rating motor and you should get 15 to 16 min run times if you want to get or do who has the biggest D1.k

LOL

post up more if you are nto sure.
Old 08-03-2013

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

Budget-wise, nothing budget but also I'm not going to be entering any IFMAR or EFRA events any time soon with it......

Cheers,

Dan
Hi dan got this in the for sale section if your interested?
Can use the lipo's from your tc
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123733
Cheers Mick.
Tamiya M06 low rider pumpkin
TLR 1.0,3.0 scte
Yeldnips racing products
Xfactoryuk
Dms racing
Corally uk
Old 08-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindles69 View Post
Hi dan got this in the for sale section if your interested?
Can use the lipo's from your tc
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123733
Cheers Mick.
Hi m8

Under the terms and conditions you have to state a price and i am sure there is not one.

Also the OP is better suited for a truggy for the track he races on, now i am not saying the buggy is poop just it will not curlt it on the track conditions he races/bashes
Old 09-03-2013

Look, if you are new to 1/8th then a "top" level racer kit will likely not get maxed out (capability wise) with you or the track or against a group of guys like this. I wouldn't worry about it. A vorza tuned right can be a threat on any track and just as fun to blow peoples minds when they are doing the antics these guys are since it is over powered and you can string 4s or even 6s to its motor and electronics and win the who can blow the rubber off their rims contest. Get some 60k diff oil to put in the center diff so you can do wheelies and use other traditional tuning to make it race well too. You win on all levels man. Have fun and get others into the hobby thats the main goal at a new and budding track like this one.
Old 11-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwipf View Post
Look, if you are new to 1/8th then a "top" level racer kit will likely not get maxed out (capability wise) with you or the track or against a group of guys like this. I wouldn't worry about it. A vorza tuned right can be a threat on any track and just as fun to blow peoples minds when they are doing the antics these guys are since it is over powered and you can string 4s or even 6s to its motor and electronics and win the who can blow the rubber off their rims contest. Get some 60k diff oil to put in the center diff so you can do wheelies and use other traditional tuning to make it race well too. You win on all levels man. Have fun and get others into the hobby thats the main goal at a new and budding track like this one.
Agree 100% about the Vorza, if I was racing mine there i'd probably remove the long rear shocks and Hara D8 rear tower because it looks so flat. In other words you could probably do quite well there with a standard one if you got some sand paddle tyres:

http://www.panthertires.com/store/in...product_id=101

I have to say I love my Vorza, it's the best value for money 1/8 brushless buggy by a mile, a proper blue-collar racing machine.

It comes with a top-of-the-range motor/ESC and the chassis/drivetrain is basically just a HotBodies D8 with a motor mount instead of an engine mount, meaning you get virtually unbreakable case-hardened steel internal and external diff gears, alloy wishbone mounts (unlike some "proper" 1/8 e-buggies which cost twice as much), excellent 16mm shocks (with 4mm shafts-i've never bent one!) etc.

To make it raceable out of the box at your track all I would do is double up the front shock tower (this is a weak point on all 1/8 ebuggies because they're heavier than the nitro equivalents-buy an extra one when the car is new, fit them back-to-back with longer screws and you'll never need another one), play around with tyres and gearing and get a temp gun, but you'd need to do this in a desert climate whichever ebuggy you go for.

Below is a pic of mine having a good look at the curvature of the earth in July last year

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vorza Jumping 1.jpg (531.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 11-03-2013
Mad Member

Thanks to all of you - I'll take a look at the Vorza.

What about the 1/7 Kyosho Scorpion XXL VE? I know it's 2WD....guess it would be left for dead by it's smaller 4WD counterparts?

Dan
Old 11-03-2013

Quote:

What about the 1/7 Kyosho Scorpion XXL VE? I know it's 2WD....guess it would be left for dead by it's smaller 4WD counterparts?

Dan
Absolutely, 4WD is the biggest single improvement you can make to a vehicle's handling IMO. Get the Vorza
Old 12-03-2013

here is my suggestion i let the vid do the talking .its the hotbodies ve8 the vorza lighter faster cousin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVXpLNiTuP4
Old 13-03-2013

Quote:

Dan

this is a big no no

stay with the 1/8th 4x4 m8

listen to what hotshot said m8
Old 13-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevmister View Post
here is my suggestion i let the vid do the talking .its the hotbodies ve8 the vorza lighter faster cousin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVXpLNiTuP4
That's actually the 1st time i've ever seen a VE8 being driven, it looks pretty quick.

I did consider getting one but I was put off by the plastic chassis (which might explain why it's been discontinued in the UK), which is why I ended up getting the Vorza, also in the meantime HotBodies have decided not to release the composite-chassis CR8 nitro buggy after a protracted and troubled period of R+D which is why they eventually came up with the D812.

If i'm honest I think the VE8 is the (slightly) better car for serious racers, looking at the specs it's more race-focussed but to have a lot of fun racing at club level you can't beat the indestructibility of the Vorza
Old 13-03-2013

that was running on 11.1v not 14.8v so it can go quicker , very reliable the most neutral handling buggy i have ever driven highly recommend it
Old 25-03-2013

Vorza is the best Dan!!

1/10 Kyosho Lazer ZX
1/10 Kyosho Optima Mid Custom