Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 09-03-2017

Default Charger DC input Query

Hi All

I've just purchased a Corally 2100 Eclips duo charger but have a few questions regarding the DC input.

What is the name of the orange socket for the DC input?
Also i have a 12v supply in my car which uses a standard cigarette lighter plug so would like to purchase a pre-made adaptor to connect the charger. Any ideas?

All other chargers I've used like the Core RC UAC50 use a 5.5mm (i think) plug.

Many thanks
Si
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C-48489_Right.jpg (297.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-03-2017
Mad Member

connector looks similar to "XT60" design although I wouldn't 100% guarantee it (check hobbyking website

I wouldn't use a cigarette lighter socket in car there only usually protected by a small fuse and some only work when ignition is switched on

better buy a leisure battery for outdoor use

regards dave
Old 09-03-2017

Thanks Dave. Looks like you are spot on with the XT60.

Just seen this. Wondering if anyone has tried one.

http://alofthobbies.com/cigarette-li...0-adapter.html

Si
Old 09-03-2017
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It's an xt60. You can get bags of them from hobbyking. Pretty much standard connector now in flight and drones.

Lead available here:
https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/electric...bullet-300mm-p
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 09-03-2017

I certainly wouldn't use your car socket as a 12v supply, particularly with a dual charger.. You will probably flatten the car battery very quickly..!
As said above get a leisure battery around £50 off EBay....
Team Associated B4.2
RC10 Worlds
Old 09-03-2017
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiFlude View Post
Thanks Dave. Looks like you are spot on with the XT60.

Just seen this. Wondering if anyone has tried one.

http://alofthobbies.com/cigarette-li...0-adapter.html

Si
Car batteries are not designed for deep discharge and if you drop it below a certain voltage, not even flat, your car will probably not charge, if it's modern as dave says it will probably be ignition fed, and probably even shut down via body module.

Leisure battery or a generator for outdoors
Old 10-03-2017
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Car batteries are not designed for deep discharge and if you drop it below a certain voltage, not even flat, your car will probably not charge, if it's modern as dave says it will probably be ignition fed, and probably even shut down via body module.

Leisure battery or a generator for outdoors
I've used my old bosch 110 (85Ah) car battery for for the last 5 years during summer season. It gets charged the night before a meeting, and allows me to charge enough packs for running two cars at 6-8A. It's also lasted me over weekend races without recharge, and allowed a club member to also charge on occasion. Car batteries are fine for charging if you don't run them flat, or expect them to start your car. I race weekly thought the summer, so it gets plenty of cycles. Every year I've expected it to fail, but it carries on fine. When it eventually fails, i'll buy a new one for my car, and do the same with the old one.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-03-2017
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
I've used my old bosch 110 (85Ah) car battery for for the last 5 years during summer season. It gets charged the night before a meeting, and allows me to charge enough packs for running two cars at 6-8A. It's also lasted me over weekend races without recharge, and allowed a club member to also charge on occasion. Car batteries are fine for charging if you don't run them flat, or expect them to start your car. I race weekly thought the summer, so it gets plenty of cycles. Every year I've expected it to fail, but it carries on fine. When it eventually fails, i'll buy a new one for my car, and do the same with the old one.
Been easier to say you agree with me, they don't like deep discharge...

If op is buying one or another, then a leisure battery is the way to go.
Old 12-03-2017
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Been easier to say you agree with me, they don't like deep discharge...
If op is buying one or another, then a leisure battery is the way to go.
I do agree with you, but it depends one what someone can afford. for a new racer having to find another £80+ for a leisure battery may not be everyone's priority if they have a spare or old 12V laying round that they can use, which will work perfectly fine if treated well and kept charged.

I stick £100+ leisure batteries on my boat to start the chevy 5.7ltr 325hp V8 lump. The last one went dead over the winter, when it was deep discharged...
The old BMW Bosch battery works fine to charge a few packs at 7A.
Old 13-03-2017

I use a old car battery from the local breaker's he let me test them to see which one the best only cost £15 and it's lasted me 3 years so far