Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 08-04-2013

Default KMC ZX5 or FS

I've had my ZX5 for about a year now and have found it a great car for getting back into the hobby. However I'm looking to improve my competitiveness at club level and am toying with the idea of a KMC conversion to go saddle lipo instead of stick pack. Would this make a car as good as an FS or should I look for a cheap second hand FS? Doing some research I've noticed that the KMC is closer to the ZX5 prototypes raced at the 2007 Worlds with the mid spur gear Position rather than upfront in the FS. Was there a reason Kyosho went away from this when the FS was launched?

Apologies if this was answered like 5 years ago but I couldn't find anything, nor can I afford £300+ for a brand new car right now.

Cheers
Darren
Old 08-04-2013
Mad Member

It depends what you are after really, if you want to be different get the KMC, although how many do you see racing? I've never actually seen one in the flesh only pictures so things like set-up advice will be tricky!

If you want something very easy to drive, strong and with good support get the FS... not as pretty as the KMC carbon bling etc, but its performance makes up for that!
Old 09-04-2013

I would hang fire for a while... There are pictures of a Rudebits DB4 conversion on InsideLineRacing's facebook page here..
Old 09-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmurphy View Post
I would hang fire for a while... There are pictures of a Rudebits DB4 conversion on InsideLineRacing's facebook page here..
That looks good Dan, price will be interesting. KMC kit is currently £40 on german ebay hence my interest in it.
Old 09-04-2013
Mad Member

The kmc conversion is cheap at £40 I'm sure they was well over £100 back when it was released.

What zx5 have you got? a compition or the rtr with plastic outdrives? The best zx5 I ever had was the zx5 sp and I've had them all

Buds

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 09-04-2013

I have a slightly uprated ZX5 (not RTR). I am looking to convert the front and rear to SP spec also. Its easier (financially) to upgrade bits here and there than buy a new car
Old 09-04-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmurphy View Post
I think this conversion is for the latest Lazer so it would be an expensive conversion. I would lookout for a cheapish FS2. You can get them for quite reasonable money now.
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 09-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzieboy View Post
I have a slightly uprated ZX5 (not RTR). I am looking to convert the front and rear to SP spec also. Its easier (financially) to upgrade bits here and there than buy a new car
you might be better off just getting a used FS.

i had the KMC kit on the first generation ZX5. the conversion kit was nice but the original ZX5 parts, well .. ermm .. let's just say i broke a lot of shock tower retainers, (Front & rear) and many arms . my fault entirely.

the subsequent ZX5s (SP, FS, etc .. ) improved on the front arms and knuckles, stronger rear bulkheads, etc ...

by getting a FS, you will get a kit with all the improved/upgraded parts. this is better than a conversion kit which still retained the original ZX5 parts (if that makes sense).

if i had to do it all over again, i would get the FS.
Old 10-04-2013

Thanks for the replies guys, I also went back 50 odd pages in this section to read some of the old posts and while some were happy others said that the quality of the carbon wasn't that good.

With that in mind I think I will concentrate on getting it to SP spec and maybe look for an FS in a year or so.