Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Mansfield RC Club

Old 23-09-2013

Possibly a silly question, but can't you create your own slicks from worn tyres?

Last winter we ran GT14 RTR cars in Grantham, on carpet indoors. I ran one set of scale treaded tyres that came with the car , they were almost bald towards the end of the season but it was hard to detect any lack of grip as they've worn out.

If you've got an old set of mini pins/ spikes, mount them in a drill and sand them to slicks...worth a go at recycling?
Old 23-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz1318 View Post
i agree john, i dont think a control tyre will completely work at mansfield but like you, i think people will see that it makes alot of sence to change to slicks. i'm sure some people will dig there heels in but i think in the long run they will be racing alone
well i did say i wanted to see them tested first but i never thought it would happen this quickly but the results seem to be very possitive and i am prepared to give a least a set a try and if i think that they are ok and the ware rate is much better then it would be daft not to switch really as any saving on tyres which is what we tend to spend most of our money
on every 2-3 weeks or so has to be a good thing
Old 24-09-2013

Ive now got venoms and i will try them back to back with my slicks, the slicks work once they are warm, venoms seem too work straight away i also tried my mini pins sunday and they are still the quickest tyre at mansfield but not by a lot, so i can see it will end up being a personal preference?