Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 05-05-2011
Mad Member

Default Painters Logo's / Signing your work

I've been looking at all the work on here and also in the UK mags for a while now, occasionally you see a mention for the painter in the form of their name but not a link to a website or anything. What I've noticed more than anything else is no one seems to sign their work. I think there was one of Jon's logo's on the SC truck in the RRC recently but I've seen no others.

I think I've seen pics of some of Terry's older stuff with a logo at the top of a windscreen in a touring car but no one else seems to have signed their work ?

Coming from custom painting I used to sign everything, no job went out the door without my logo on it, and if it was a crash helmet for a magazine or for a race team it had bigger logo's in multiple places so I knew it would be included in photographs taken of it.

I appreciate the shells are quite small and space is especially limited on a lot of the tenth buggies and I can't imagine how difficult it is to paint the 18th stuff or anything smaller than that but surely on the tenth, eighth and especially 5th stuff where you'd get most of your repeat work you would do well to sign it.

You can get backwards decals made, they could go in the shell before you started painting or are people just not that worried about it ?

My paintwork thread

Last edited by eyeayen; 05-05-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: speling mixtakes
Old 05-05-2011

It surprises me also.

I think some people will think "I don't want some massive logo on the buggy/car/truck!" - but I think something small so that other drivers can see who has done it and get theirs done too.

Cheers, Mark
Old 05-05-2011
Mad Member

tastefully done is fine and i actually keep meaning to cut a load of masks in order to start adding my rcs to all the shells i do.
there are two sides, one it is my work and if i want to sign it i will do! on the other hand though, someone is paying for a particular scheme and so don't want your name plastered all over it. that's why i say 'tastefully' that doesnt impare the flow of the shell.

http://www.xfactoryrc.co.uk/

UK Distributors of RCS Products

Old 05-05-2011
Mad Member

i also hand out stickers with the shells to give them the option of applying larger logos if they want.

http://www.xfactoryrc.co.uk/

UK Distributors of RCS Products

Old 05-05-2011
Mad Member

Yes the tasteful thing needs to be taken into account with any design, however as I said before I didn't let anything go without me having my logo painted on. Another painter once said to me, don't put it on as a sticker after as it will come off / get taken off. So yes I had a larger area to work with but as the same time decals can be printed tiny and not encroach on the design. It's more difficult with the biggies as there is considerably less space than a touring car.

I still think it's something painters should start to try and actively do, especially if it's just a sticker, it would take less than 5 minutes to put 2 on (one each side) so when photographed / seen everyone knows who did it. Especially with so many pro painters springing up, just to mark out their work. Even just a web address.

In ten years I think only 2 customers challenged the fact I was going to do, I told them the price would increase without it so they agreed and I kept it subtle. The thing is you don't want to make your own design look bad so I think any logo the painter put on themselves would be in keeping with the design.

My paintwork thread
Old 05-05-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

hi John has done me two shells for rrci, one xray tc and one associated b44.1 which has part two in the latest mag. Both have had good visable decals on the rear wings, allways a mention and im sure i put his web address in. If it has been removed ill kick the ed.
Where ever possible anyone who assists me in my reviews will get a thank you and a plug.
Old 05-05-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

I used to give out stickers, but in the end, you get more work from 'word of mouth' than anything else, and as Jon said, if someone has requested a 'design', then more often they may not want a 'painted' logo on there.

Personally, I paint shells for enjoyment than 'work''.
Old 05-05-2011
Mad Member

From a customer point of view, when I pay for a custom piece of work I want it done how I want it done and I don't want a logo on there that I didn't choose the size, shape or location of.

I would happily accept a sticker and if it fits my over all look of the shell then I'll use it.

I always tell people who painted my shells if they ask and actively recommend my favourite artists. I really don't see how adding a logo in the paint adds anything.

I produce carbon parts for 1/16th scale cars and I supply a sticker with the parts in most cases. I am not offended in any way if people don't use them because I always assume that they will if it suits their 'look' or if they want to show off that they are using my parts.
Old 05-05-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

I used to put telsshells/tsdesign on the shells (TC on the sunscreen). And recently put stickers into the bag for customers to put on themselves.

But recently I have been doing shells on a 'non-promo' basis as I can't handle the amount of work that I used to at the moment, so don't want to advertise.

Thats why you haven't seen my logos around.
Old 07-05-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
From a customer point of view, when I pay for a custom piece of work I want it done how I want it done and I don't want a logo on there that I didn't choose the size, shape or location of.
I can understand this in one way as you want your design as you've asked for it but I don't think a painter would want to spoil it with a large logo interrupting the aesthetics of your paint job and his hard work any more than you wouldn't want it on there. I'm sure it would fit in with the design and as I mentioned before decals can be made small so it would hardly notice unless you were close ? Maybe if people had always done it then it would have been more accepted ( and I'd have never started this thread ).

Troy Lee Design in America who does everything Motor Cross (and has pretty much become a house hold name) started small painting crash helmets and now does clothing and bike graphics and everything, people put his stickers on their crash helmets even if it's a bought out of the shop one because they think they're 'cool'.

I wonder if anyone in the RC field will ever get to that status ?

My paintwork thread
Old 07-05-2011

I can understand what your saying here and alot of the time the painters don't get enough or even any credit for doing the work, I've only seen a few people actually sign there work and they all look good and don't interfere with the paint scheme.

I've seen a couple of Jons with the small RCS logo in the front grill that looks superb (not sure if they were stickers that were supplied or painted?) http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...=49790&page=20 .

Also theres a couple on rcnet that always add there name usually the top of the front window.

As long as they look good and aren't too big I don't think anyone would really mind, though stickers are a good idea and then they have a choice in whether they put them on.