Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 07-08-2011
Mad Member

Default Scalpel related injuries

Am I the only accident prone one on here with these super sharp things ?

The other week I dropped it, while standing in the house, barefoot. Luckily it didn't go in my foot but did shave several layers of skin off down the side causing claret to leak on the carpet...

I think my worst one was having finished spraying effects over a job I was wedding off lots of small pieces, as they were so small it was difficult to get them off the scalpel so I found the best way was to wipe it on my jeans and I could go much faster doing that. Or so I thought...

One of my mates popped in to see me, completely unexpecting to see anyone that day I miss judged by previously flawless technique and stuck the said sharp implement into my leg, we both watched for a second as my paint coloured jeans turned a distinctive blood colour around the area, before I had to pull the scalpel out and apply plenty of pressure to stop it bleeding.

There have been many others which I won't scare you with so I was just wondering if it was me or if everyone does it. I came to the conclusion that it was something I used every day, to the extent it just became like something you instinctively pick up, like a pen, therefore you become slightly blasé with it as you're so used to using it, because of that you also become less concerned that you can injure yourself with it and with that probably less careful.

Aside that I've got thinners in my eye's a few times, that smarts a bit, so, anyone else as bad as me ?

My paintwork thread
Old 07-08-2011

if it makes you feel any better, your not, i slipped once and took part my thumb out, i never wanted the shell going red lol

Old 07-08-2011

oooo not forgeting, glueing tire and geting glue in eye and stickin eye lids together.

Old 07-08-2011
Super Moderator

Managed to cut the top of my middle finger 3 times the other day while removing mask & still holding the scalpal, all cuts were 1mm apart & were straighter than my cuts on the shell!!! amazing how much you use the top of the finger for things until you can't
Old 07-08-2011
Mad Member

Default soldering

I've lost count of the number of times I've burnt myself soldering bits!!! Arrgh...it's the worst thing about this hobby I think! Especially when your joints are crap!
Old 07-08-2011
Mad Member

I found it hurts when you drop a soldering iron on your leg while wearing shorts and i have done this more than once Also the glue in the eye is a bad one too

Trader feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25152
Old 07-08-2011
Mad Member

Took me a while to learn not to try and catch falling soldering irons, knock it off the table, let it go. I still attempt to take hot drill bits out of chucks.......
Old 07-08-2011
Mad Member

I've picked touring cars up while marshalling that don't have a cover on the underside of the chassis and burnt my fingers, you soon learn... until they change their body shell

All in all this is quite a dangerous hobby !

My paintwork thread

Last edited by eyeayen; 07-08-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: inebilitie two spel
Old 07-08-2011

I heard a tale about a lad wearing shorts, trying to get the top off a fresh bottle of thin Zap cyano. He managed to break the neck off, spilling fresh cyano all over his nether regions, gluing his shorts to his tackle inmmediately, and as it went off, burning him quite badly. His screams could be heard from some distance away....

On the scalpel front, yes, been there done that. It's amazing how much flesh you can lop off a digit, and it still grow back!!!
Old 07-08-2011
Super Moderator

Battery acid on clothes is also not good, spilt some on a pair of new jeans, washed them straight away & when they came out they were holey!!! very holey & are now shorts
Old 07-08-2011
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to mole2k

I would describe myself as moderately accident prone with scapels.

I once cut a lump out of my thumb trying to shave the little tab of a futaba servo plug to fit it into the rx. I bled all over my new car and had to entirely rebuild it after it's first meeting and wash everything!

Thats about the only time I've actually cut myself badly but I have on a number of occasions been very lucky! I've dropped scapel's towards my bare feet on numerous occasions, broken the blades of them in spectacular fashion and bounced the snapped blades off my face, etc.

www.rcbearings.co.uk
Old 07-08-2011

When I had a job as a signmaker I was weeding the vinyl and wanted to use a new scalpel. On this particular new scalpel the plastic protective lid was too tight, so holding the lid in one hand I pulled extremely hard on the handle of the knife with the other.

When the seal finally broke my arms flung apart from the force I had been exerting. Unfortunately my natural reflex was to counter this movement, meaning my arms flung back inwards with quite a force.

I didnt feel a thing, but when I looked at my hand that had been holding the lid I had managed to embed the entire length of the scalpel blade into my finger during the recoil of my arms.

It was so sharp it sliced straight through without me even knowing it had happened, but it left one hell of a deep slice into my finger!
Old 07-08-2011

When I was in my teens, I was building a Tamiya Thundershot whilst sat on my bed. Had a tray with all the bits/tools on, as well as the box it came in. Wanted to get it built so worked late into the night.......and fell asleep!!

Woke up in the night with a terrible pain in my right thigh. Rolled over to find my scalpel sticking out, perpendicular, to my leg. It was such a shock that I snatched at it to get it out, which made it much worse than it should've been as the blade came out at an angle and opened me up like a filleted fish!!

It bled like crazy all over the place as I ran like an idiot to the bathroom, only to remember that the first aid kit was downstairs. As I got to the utility room I heard screaming from upstairs......
Imagine the thoughts that must've run through my Mum's head as she woke to hear someone crashing around the house. On hearing them run down the stairs she bravely came out of her bedroom and was greeted by blood splatter all over the landing. bathroom and stairs!!!!

I still feel guilty to this day, and have a wicked scar on my leg to remind me!!
http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...ab=AllFeedback
Old 07-08-2011
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

This thread is supremely boring without pictures...
Old 07-08-2011

Slashed my thumb open down to the bone chopping thru 2 tendons fixing a washing machine.
I wrapped it in a T towel, phoned the missus to come and get me and take me hospital, then finished fixing the washer with my left hand while I waited.

3 months off work and 2 weeks after I went back I fell over and bust my ankle. Plates, wires, screws, pins and a further 6 mths off work. I just got all my bad uns out of the way more or less at once.
Before that I'd managed more than 15 years in engineering without seriously damaging myself.

Old 07-08-2011
Mad Member

Ah yes, next time I accidentally stick a sharp cutting tool into me before I stop the bleeding I'll be sure to reach for me camera and snap a few shots off

When I were a nipper... with my first mardave mini stock, I'd cut the body out but kept effin' up the wheel arches, nothing else for it but to cut toward myself in the sort of manner you see adults do in the garden with semi blunt instruments on flowers stems. How hard can it be ??? Sliced right down the centre of my thumb ! About ¾ of an inch long, still got a dent in my thumb now, some 26 years later

When I was at college I did a lot of airbrushed projects, being a poor stoodent I only had one scalpel at the time, was working hard on 3 illustrations at once. Lost scalpel, searched everywhere for it, couldn't find it. Went off out for the rest of the evening. Came home slighty under the influence, was getting into bed when I stabbed my toe onto the end of the blade, it was just under the bed, much pain ! More claret lost...

This is getting like american pie, this one time at band camp... this one time at scalpel camp...

My paintwork thread
Old 07-08-2011
Mad Member

Has some lost a screw in your ankle Deano ? It looks like it's just floating about

I wish I'd got the xrays from my bike accident, that would have been impressive to put up

My paintwork thread
Old 08-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeayen View Post
Has some lost a screw in your ankle Deano ? It looks like it's just floating about

I wish I'd got the xrays from my bike accident, that would have been impressive to put up
Yeah lol, I mentioned that to my consultant, he just smiled. They're quite blase and not a little bit without a sense of humour when it comes to these things. He didn't get it when I was trying to point out what I thought was a similarity between the plate and those bits of perforated strip that sometimes come in the box with a new car stereo.
Old 08-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

What a load of wusses cut fingers and broken ankles are nothing compared to what I did. This really hurt.
LOOK AWAY IF YOUHAVE A WEAK STOMACH

Picture did get deleted but probably for right reason

This is going to get deleted so copy it quick.
This is a boner-fide picture.

Last edited by Oscar; 08-08-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: That was pretty funny, but probably shouldn't be on the forum ;)
Old 08-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

www.rccarshop.co.uk