Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Yokomo

Old 09-10-2013

hi mikescott

ypou don´t like the quality of the bmax2?
yesterday i sold my associated b4.2 because i need a car for carpet and don´t want spend so much money in a conversion kit for the b4.2.

so i need a new car. i was looking for yokomo or tlr.
Old 09-10-2013
Mad Member

Really? You must be the first person I've heard saying that. I've had all of these cars and apart from the RB6, the Yok quality is far superior. Fair enough, I've had to to replace the idlers with metal ones but apart from that the car is spot on.

I think it's unfair to compare it to the Kyosho considering the RB6 is about 60% more expensive.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 09-10-2013

First prototypes are shipped. I will test them this weekend.

Just a teaser :

Carbon rear-towers and chassis will be kept a secret until I receive them. (I've seen them though) I will make pictures when mounted.

If the quality is the same as the XB4 towers I will have a production batch soon.
Old 09-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyaflake View Post
First prototypes are shipped. I will test them this weekend.

Just a teaser :

Carbon rear-towers and chassis will be kept a secret until I receive them. (I've seen them though) I will make pictures when mounted.

If the quality is the same as the XB4 towers I will have a production batch soon.
Nice.....need 2 front towers and 1 for rear mm

Bent
Old 09-10-2013
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by discothesnake View Post
Really? You must be the first person I've heard saying that. I've had all of these cars and apart from the RB6, the Yok quality is far superior. Fair enough, I've had to to replace the idlers with metal ones but apart from that the car is spot on.

I think it's unfair to compare it to the Kyosho considering the RB6 is about 60% more expensive.

I'm trying to take this into account as yes I agree the RB6 is in a different target market. I owned one.

I know it's like many things in life, big cars, watches, quality shoes you can tell when you pay for a higher quality item.

I've got the gears on order along with a few other items.

Got a lot of side to side movement with the ball diff, which I'll be rechecking tonight..

My LRP shorty LIPOs are a very very tight fit too, don't just drop in. Again will check. Don't like the feel of the battery brace system too, so carbon upgrade being considered. However think I'll run the car first..

First run this weekend on the very high grip indoor track at Silverstone.

Still at this time feel the TLR22 2.0 would have been better, just hope the car proves me wrong.
Old 09-10-2013

+1!

I also had a full blinged up RB6 and the quality was of course very good. On the other hand I didn't like how it handled, not even with all the mods that are available (flat rear arms, rudebits lipo cradle etc...)

Sold the car and bought 2 MR's, 1 V2 for high grip and 1 "standard" car with plastic chassis for low grip.
The quality is just a bit below Kyosho but at least as good as a Tamiya and FAR better than associated.

I'm almost 1 lap quicker with the MR and way more consistent.

Just drive the car and you will be blown away how it handles.

Quote:

LRP Flow, Orion R10, Orion VST2, Speed Passion, Speed Power, B-Fast, Much More CTX, LRP X 20,
Old 09-10-2013

Quality of Yokomo is nice imo. I've driven X-Factory (and thus Associated) before and i find that Yokomo is a bit better. Especially with the arms, they are soooo sloppy on the Asso.

Gears are the only downside on the B-Max2 imo, but they are replaced (as an option though) with Alu versions - even though I still drive the standard ones -
Old 09-10-2013

MR2 is top quality for me!
I had an asso before, except for the slop, i remember every anodized bit stripping colors after a pack! Especially those shock standoffs went from blue to silver just by assemblying the car.
I have raced the car in really harsh dirt tracks and the plastic chassis has only a few scratches without a protecting film.
I replaced my lower arms yesterday just to have fresh ones, cause the stock ones wouldn't want to break for any reason!
The only part i have broken quite a lot of times is the transparent washer under the front hubs.
Yet i have seen a lot of rb6 breakages without believing it is an inferior quality car.
Old 09-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
I'm trying to take this into account as yes I agree the RB6 is in a different target market. I owned one.

I know it's like many things in life, big cars, watches, quality shoes you can tell when you pay for a higher quality item.

I've got the gears on order along with a few other items.

Got a lot of side to side movement with the ball diff, which I'll be rechecking tonight..

My LRP shorty LIPOs are a very very tight fit too, don't just drop in. Again will check. Don't like the feel of the battery brace system too, so carbon upgrade being considered. However think I'll run the car first..

First run this weekend on the very high grip indoor track at Silverstone.

Still at this time feel the TLR22 2.0 would have been better, just hope the car proves me wrong.
Hi Mikey,

I have run a Bmax now for about 4 months. I have found the handling much better than my SV2.

The ball diff does have side to side play in it. I assume it's so a gear diff can be used if the gear diff is wider, I don't know that though. I shimmed it out.

I am also using shorties, Orion ones and they are a snug fit, doesn't seem to be an issue, maybe the LRP ones are marginally larger.

The car has good grip with the plastic brace, but I found that I would forget to turn the retainers to lock the brace down. I did fit the carbon upgrade, mainly so I had to turn the blue thumb screws down. It does make the car stiffer so better for high grip surfaces.

Keep with the car, it seems to work for me.
Old 09-10-2013
Mad Member

The metal chassis and carbon brace will be great upgrades if your running on high grip surfaces like Silverstone...chassis in particular!

I'm still using the plastic idlers and have seen no sign of any trouble with mine, so have no thoughts of going to the ali idlers at all at this point!

Either way, hopefully you'll be as impressed with it as I was...I'm still loving it! Overall preferring it to the AE's and xfactory's I ran before.
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 09-10-2013

100% agree with Andy!! Enjoy the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pinky View Post
The metal chassis and carbon brace will be great upgrades if your running on high grip surfaces like Silverstone...chassis in particular!

I'm still using the plastic idlers and have seen no sign of any trouble with mine, so have no thoughts of going to the ali idlers at all at this point!

Either way, hopefully you'll be as impressed with it as I was...I'm still loving it! Overall preferring it to the AE's and xfactory's I ran before.
Old 09-10-2013

Mine is the nicest car I've built, everything just fell together. Just run the car as STD to try it first mikey. It's so smooth running, quiet and consistent to drive. I love it! No alloy chassis on yet either, that and the idler gears are sitting here waiting to go on.
Good luck with it, let us know how it goes
Old 09-10-2013
Mad Member

That's saying something too because you've had them all griff

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 09-10-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danosborne6661 View Post
That's saying something too because you've had them all griff
Are you weakening yet Dan? Another go on mine on Sunday, and now trawling the Yoke section on here
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 09-10-2013

I'm loving mine, so consistent and never bites you back when trying too hard. It felt a little on the numb side with the plastic chassis and battery brace. I put the red springs on the front with the 2 x1.6mm pistons which stopped the front collapsing when cornering hard. I put the carbon battery brace on and it was a lot sharper. I've just bought the alloy chassis but haven't ran it yet but stiffening the chassis just seems to make it better without affecting the balance.

One thing which amazes me is the amount of traction it has compared to other cars. It always makes me smile.

As for quality it is far superior to TD and Associated. People complain about idler gears but the way to stop it is simlpe......RTFM. Don't go beyond the slipper setting in the manual otherwise it won't work and all the shock is transferred to the gearbox.

I can't wait until I get the new BMAX4 if this car is is anything to go by.
Old 10-10-2013

Indoor season has started for me. I took the B-Max2 MR with me and I had (so) much traction , was really fast in corners. The car was very decent. Last year I've only driven 4WD over at the indoor track, but 2WD got me hooked again. Of course, when the B-Max4 III is here I will take it to the track as well.

Drove DBoots Nanybyte in the rear and cut-stagger in front, great combination. I could turn in (and keep the pace ) faster than most Mid-motor 2WD's on the track yesterday. They changed the layout compared to last year, so first couple of heats everything was new, but when time processed I was making less mistakes. I also was playing around with weight near the front and I still need to add some more. It makes a huge difference on the indoor track.

Next time I will test the carbon parts. Prior to testing, pictures will be here of course.

I will post my yesterday used setup tonight.
Old 10-10-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pinky View Post
Are you weakening yet Dan? Another go on mine on Sunday, and now trawling the Yoke section on here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpackster1980 View Post
I'm loving mine, so consistent and never bites you back when trying too hard.
This is exactly why im trawling the section! Whenever I've drove yours Andy you can push the car without it biting you in the ass! I think I'll try a longer chassis, no anti-squat and maybe dial in some bumpsteer on my DEX210 first but then we'll see

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West
Old 10-10-2013

Anyone know what size the wheel pins are on the rear as I'm looking at ordering some solid ones instead.

Also ordered the hex conversion parts as indicated on Petitrc so will so how Kyosho rear wheels fit.

I really hope a compatible Pro-line wheel hex conversion is in the works.
Old 10-10-2013
Mad Member

You need to replace the kit rear spacer with the older type cone spacer to make the off-set work. Can send an image later if you like.

Dave
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 10-10-2013

Quote:
You need to replace the kit rear spacer with the older type cone spacer to make the off-set work. Can send an image later if you like.

Dave
This part number Yokomo part #bm-011s ?

Yes a pic would be great please. I have circa 20 rear Kyosho wheels, 4 sets ok AKA wheel.

Haven't done the conversion on the front yet. I've heard there is an official hex option coming from yokomo