Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 18-09-2017

Default Replacement for TRF511

I've been out of the RC world for a while and in the process I sold my Tamiya TRF 511, which was a mistake lol.

Looking at getting another 4wd car and was wondering what people would suggest, really liked the way the Tamiya drove, far more so than the BJ4 I had before that. Not sure if it was the belt drive vs the shaft drive but regardless the TRF was great.

K2 seems like an obvious choice but was wondering if there is much feedback on the likes of the PR Racing and Sworkz cars, don't seem to have much recent discussions on them and I like to consider the less common cars aswell; worked out great with the Tamiya.

Last edited by liquid ideas; 18-09-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 18-09-2017
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Well you have loads of choice!

The 4wd car of the moment is the XB4 17 version but new car coming from tekno which looks interesting the EB410

Best bet as ever is go to your local club/track, see whats a popular well supported car and go from there!

P.S, I still have a 511 in my fleet, such a cool car

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 18-09-2017

i'd be a big fan of my b64d i got from MB, it replaced a 22-4 2.0 that was fully hopped up i using before and love it. Its the first AE car i've had since a second hand tc3 back in the day (really hated that car it put me off the brand for 10+ years) and i'm super impressed, so much so i've been seriously considering trading in the 22 3.0 for a b6. Unlike the losi the AE cars seem to have a lot of aftermarket parts being made, along with most major online modelshops having a good stock of spares, which can no longer be said for losi since horizion nazi's fucked that deal up.

A friend also runs a hotbodies d413 and the thing is a tank, parts arn't hard to get for it either since hotbodies was re-retaken over and even though its an old design at this stage its still a force on the track.

must be said that i've not broken a thing on the b64d (not for lack of trying) and nor has the mate with d413, but the 22-4 2.0 was constantly breaking front pivots, but exotek has released an alloy option part to fix that problem.

if i was given any of the 3 above i can't say i'd be dissapointed, but given the choice b64 every time.
Old 19-09-2017

Thanks for the input . The Tekno car looks interesting, think I'll wait a little while to see how that goes before deciding.
Old 19-09-2017

I too have gone to the AE from Tamiya - although I still have the 511 and 503 "operational" and still love running them at fun days, but for competition, they just don't have the edge now.

I have found the B64 and B6 though tough to run on grass tracks. The inside of the rear wheels run very close to the kit hubs on both. Means any loose grass builds up inside the wheel - had really bad issues on some club tracks where lack of manpower means compromising the amount of attention to small things like any grass cutting left on the ground. I've never had a car "collect" grass as efficiently as the new AE cars. And I've tried a few different wheels - AE, Losi, Schumacher, even Absima wheels. All the same.

I didn't want to lower the outer mount point for the top links, as it would mean same on the inside and having to compromise/establish the correct settings, as well as having to take a dremel to the top of the kit hubs. But I will, if I must...
...the cars are brilliant on many surfaces and really excited about the winter season as well as next year's local regionals.

To resolve, I've recently purchased the alloy hubs and ball studs, and hoping this gives the clearance to clear out any grass. Failing that, I may have to revert back to the Tamiya...
Old 10-04-2018

How much better is the 503 than the 511 and would you consider selling either of them?
Old 12-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieStewart View Post
How much better is the 503 than the 511 and would you consider selling either of them?
503 is the better car. Still subtle the difference and we're only talking about a couple of tenths or maybe upto half a second a lap, depending on the surface, but both are thumped by the latest crop of 4WD astro cars.

If you're wanting to experience them and run them for fun - go for the cheaper of these if they are available - 501 / 511 / 503 - even the DB01 hopped up is very close in feel.

The DB02 / 502 are different cars in feel - shaft drive. These are very difficult to find.

Sorry Jamie - wouldn't ever part with either.
TBH, I'm on the hunt for a cheap 502 to add to the collection...