differant surfaces added but features left as they are 1 2.70%
differant features but suface left as it is 8 21.62%
move rostron back 1m from edge of track + re weld it 1 2.70%
build custom clubhouse with electric , no track mods 3 8.11%
nothing at all , bury is perfect as it is 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-07-2013
Mad Member

Default New forum disscussion track improvements.

Right guys after chatting with a good few members and non members today and their thoughts on the track and the general opinion was its to big and to flat so let's have a broad disscussion on what we want.

1st. New race control built in brick ? We are absolutely miles away financially it'll take years before its even a consideration to invite planners and architects.

2nd improve the track which I think if we spend what we have now on different surfaces and some bigger features ie the ramp infront of the table top today was good and that it should become like that permanently wouldn't cost much and the upside down saucer in the middle should be a huge 4ft volcano type mound with long fast jump length ways and slow high jumps width ways would be cool I think if we spend it now the new race control would be funded faster than if we proceed on this crown green characterless track

3rd but a roof on the rostrum

No silly responses please just constructive opinions

Buds

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 28-07-2013

Default Ramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfish View Post
Right guys after chatting with a good few members and non members today and their thoughts on the track and the general opinion was its to big and to flat so let's have a broad disscussion on what we want.

1st. New race control built in brick ? We are absolutely miles away financially it'll take years before its even a consideration to invite planners and architects.

2nd improve the track which I think if we spend what we have now on different surfaces and some bigger features ie the ramp infront of the table top today was good and that it should become like that permanently wouldn't cost much and the upside down saucer in the middle should be a huge 4ft volcano type mound with long fast jump length ways and slow high jumps width ways would be cool I think if we spend it now the new race control would be funded faster than if we proceed on this crown green characterless track

3rd but a roof on the rostrum

No silly responses please just constructive opinions

Buds
We have loads of ramps not even used most of the time and think maybe surface change in places would be easy and cheap to do... But I also think bury as a club which i have gone to on and off since i was 14 which adds up to over 20 years when the divs at bury model shop ran it and in all that time as always had good steady number but i don't think you will change the number of people because of few track changes just won't happen with best will in the world which is the reason roger always said no... But I do agree that a few cheap changes without blowing loads of money would be more suited to bury
Old 28-07-2013
Mad Member

2 years ago at the agm we decided to put club racing fees up to a fiver from 3 quid the basis of the decision was purely based on to raise extra cash for track improvements. Since that point virtually no money has been spent by the club on this agreement. That's why there's the money is there

4 years ago the club said it was closing since then we've had a new track attendance is up year and year costs ain't going up only by a gallon of petrol a month which ill tell you now is roughly the same as the rent if or when they collect it.

Over the years I spoke many times about this to roger at my house his house and at the track and I know it's what he would want

As for numbers again I beg to differ I've loads of mates/buds balls sponsored f1/f2/f3 drivers all over the country the one thing they take away with them from our track is its crap

The quality of a club is measured by the quality of its track full stop

Old 28-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfish View Post
2 years ago at the agm we decided to put club racing fees up to a fiver from 3 quid the basis of the decision was purely based on to raise extra cash for track improvements. Since that point virtually no money has been spent by the club on this agreement. That's why there's the money is there

4 years ago the club said it was closing since then we've had a new track attendance is up year and year costs ain't going up only by a gallon of petrol a month which ill tell you now is roughly the same as the rent if or when they collect it.

Over the years I spoke many times about this to roger at my house his house and at the track and I know it's what he would want

As for numbers again I beg to differ I've loads of mates/buds balls sponsored f1/f2/f3 drivers all over the country the one thing they take away with them from our track is its crap

The quality of a club is measured by the quality of its track full stop
I do kinda agree with you it's boring as hasnt got anything to it really but numbers wish people wont change there habits any time soon although batley is flooded so people may come from there unless they take up boats lol i just think maybe some new bits be great idea
Old 29-07-2013
Mad Member

It's a great starting point we just need someone with the balls and the cheque book to say yes. Trust me it would pay dividends look at what the gymnasts got holly mollie what if the built them a gym with no changing rooms or no bleeding ropes hanging from the ceiling would they have excepted that? You should of seen the fools the council sent to build it they hadn't a clue.

Me and rob mills on one of the many jumps we used to have

The wood on the block paved hair pin on top of one of our high speeds jumps at the end of the straight

Old 29-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The problem as I see it is that people always say they want stuff, but then they don't like it when they get it....

The track isn't flat. Its got more jumps than Southport for a start - the difference is that Southports track banks up towards the back. Also Southport has more bumps, which substitute for jumps.

Whilst on the subject of Southport, people grumble that Bury is all one surface, but at Southport they complain about tyre wear instead. Because the new track lacks the cobbles of the old one tyres last forever - you can't have it both ways.

My concern is that more than a few people have told me that the 'Death or Glory' ramp on the old track was what nearly killed the club - because getting it wrong meant a broken shock tower. But that is exactly the sort of thing gets built when you ask people what they want.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 29-07-2013

Default Jumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
The problem as I see it is that people always say they want stuff, but then they don't like it when they get it....

The track isn't flat. Its got more jumps than Southport for a start - the difference is that Southports track banks up towards the back. Also Southport has more bumps, which substitute for jumps.

Whilst on the subject of Southport, people grumble that Bury is all one surface, but at Southport they complain about tyre wear instead. Because the new track lacks the cobbles of the old one tyres last forever - you can't have it both ways.

My concern is that more than a few people have told me that the 'Death or Glory' ramp on the old track was what nearly killed the club - because getting it wrong meant a broken shock tower. But that is exactly the sort of thing gets built when you ask people what they want.
In fact the double jumps on the old track that took roger and stu ages to do some members came and dug them up lol it's not all bowt what people think because sumone always have diff view and my view a prem table top be mistake when we have 2 wooden 1s both diff sizes sure people can have ideas that arnt expense and easy to try maybe a diff type surface on the track?
Old 29-07-2013
Mad Member

It was the edging stones and the dodgey joins in the astro that threw you into things like trees/bushes/cabins/over the grassy knoll that killed the cars 20 ton of hardcore 20 square metres of block paving would be all we need the astro we cut up for the block could be used to patch in the extra proposed jumps

Old 29-07-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil9144 View Post
In fact the double jumps on the old track that took roger and stu ages to do some members came and dug them up lol it's not all bowt what people think because sumone always have diff view and my view a prem table top be mistake when we have 2 wooden 1s both diff sizes sure people can have ideas that arnt expense and easy to try maybe a diff type surface on the track?
Ever been to the astro track at robinhood Phil?

Old 29-07-2013

I'm fully aware I've only been once, but maybe a fresh set of unbiased eyes and opinions helps.....
I personally like the idea of improvements to the roofing of the rostrum, to include improved railings.
I enjoyed the track, joins in the astro are well done, I do feel that a change of surface to part of the track if carefully done would be of benefit.
The up ramp to the right hand table top would be better as a permanent feature, however please take care that seeing the upside of the ramp isn't possible from the rostrum.
The 'X' bump I felt broke the consistency and flow, because it's not consistent across the track.
Electric supply to the control would also be of benefit.

You are very lucky having such a location, I look forward to seeing the club and track continue it's development.
Old 29-07-2013
Mad Member

IMHO I think the old track was way better
The new one is boring and unpredictable
The table top jump is rediculous and different every lap and to have that as the first major corner at the start of a final is crazy not just my opinion.
The quads are ok they can be done every lap quite consistently but are also random as there different on both sides and also a car braker if you get them wrong.
Think personally going from the old track with multiple features to the new one was a massive down grade but that's not my decision.
The people who moan about tyre wear need to spend a bit more money on tyres if they want to be competitive which is what racing is all about isn't it!!!!
Also think its very wide the track and where ever you stand on the rostrum you can never quite see each part of the track especially when someone sticks there big head out!!!!
Old 29-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

There are other things to consider. I did like John's ramp before the tabletop - it worked really well but I also noticed that getting is sufficently wrong (think novice driver with powerful car - we've seen a few of those) could cause the car to fly out into the pits! It was also a marshaling hazard which is why we moved Alan off there.

Anyway I've been thinking about this and realised the problem isn't the track but what we do with it. The blank canvas approach means it can be different every week which is good, but also bad - where is the consistency, the improvement? The week 17 laps was good, next meeting it might only be 12 so how do you know you are driving better?
RC Timing has the ability to set up circuits. I propose we use some astro paint in different colours to mark up a few possible course options (Lets call them red, blue, yellow etc) We can choose a layout for the meeting and RC timing will let you compare your times against your best for Blue circuit.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 29-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
There are other things to consider. I did like John's ramp before the tabletop - it worked really well but I also noticed that getting is sufficently wrong (think novice driver with powerful car - we've seen a few of those) could cause the car to fly out into the pits! It was also a marshaling hazard which is why we moved Alan off there.

Anyway I've been thinking about this and realised the problem isn't the track but what we do with it. The blank canvas approach means it can be different every week which is good, but also bad - where is the consistency, the improvement? The week 17 laps was good, next meeting it might only be 12 so how do you know you are driving better?
RC Timing has the ability to set up circuits. I propose we use some astro paint in different colours to mark up a few possible course options (Lets call them red, blue, yellow etc) We can choose a layout for the meeting and RC timing will let you compare your times against your best for Blue circuit.
I like the idea of a choice of set circuits, an intelligent approach to such a space.
Old 29-07-2013
Mad Member

The track nearly closed last time due to the fact the club roger and woody wouldn't listen to the drivers and their attitudes. Novices??? Who cares!! Novices don't stay novices very long. If you remember Si even woody didnt come and race at goshen for the the first 12months me,you and rob started.it was only when the numbers went up he started coming back.

It just wants the time and effort putting in which none of us can afford so pay someone to come and do it! As I reiterate this was the agreement at the 2011 AGM when we nearley doubled the race fee to do theses things.

Stop running winter meetings that don't make money at count hill for starters it's in Oldham.its a crap venue

As for the new track it's not even about attracting more numbers but keeping the ones we have got.

Yesterday's marshalling and the track quality was very poor. I raced batley last week and loved it ill be racing southport next week end. Bet you don't have to wait untill everyone's lapped you before a Marshall eventually responds to your 12th shout to turn you car over it just ruins your day

Old 29-07-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky View Post
I like the idea of a choice of set circuits, an intelligent approach to such a space.
This isn't London we don't need diffrent coloured lines everywhere that's why we have moveable hoses

Old 29-07-2013
Mad Member

Old 29-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

That picture actually shows some of my point though - our current track isn't 'flat' in terms of its track features, but it is in terms of pure geography. The old course had dips and banks but no more actual jumps.

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Old 29-07-2013
Mad Member

A dip is a jump but going down instead of up

Old 29-07-2013

Marshalling/racing with large rear drops to the fences causes problems I feel. Better to have barrier follow the contours? Safer and quicker....?
Old 29-07-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

There are marshaling issues with cars ending up between the fence and tabletop for both tabletops - and the banked bend too. I'd rather fill in to the fence but we've been told we can't for some reason.....

Yz4 - Yz2
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC