Round 5 Sunday 13th December
Round 6 Sunday 3rd January
Round 7 Sunday 24th January
Round 8 Sunday 31st January
Round 9 Sunday 7th February
Round 10 Sunday 14th February
Round 11 Sunday 28th February
Round 12 Sunday 6th March

* AGM Date is provisional. No racing on AGM DAY.

Reserve dates – March 13th & March 27th

7 rounds from 12 to count.
Racing in South West: http://www.mendiprcraceway.co.uk/
Racing in Wales: www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk
Kept running by: Yokomo via MB Models & www.tracksidespares.co.uk
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 24-09-2015

I know we've had a few discussions around the track about the club championships ...

7 to count from 12 rounds over the course of the winter seems a lot to me ..

My personal thoughts are that 4 to count from 6 rounds, maybe the first meeting of the month as a championship round would be a way of getting more peeps to actually run all the required rounds ..
Old 26-09-2015
Mad Member

Tough call Si, give the incentive for maybe more people to only show up once a month...or to get maybe slightly lower numbers showing up more often....

No idea what the right answer is...but this is what we've done the last few years, and not sure it was really a broken system?

Winter is traditionally just as popular as summer....overall at least. The summer suffers from drop in numbers due to holidays, nationals, various other race commitments, etc, etc. Winter just suffers from some people not liking the cold!

Do any of the other racers have any opinions on this? We can run what ever way you want us to by consensus
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 27-09-2015

Its our normal winter callender of 2 meetings per month with 50%+1 to count.

We normally start early October and finish the end of March but this year due to committments and the need to avoid other winter race dates we are starting a little later and finishing a little earlier so that is why January & February have 3 race meeting each month not the usual 2. We also need maintenance time during March to work on the whole site before Easter and the summer and national series start.

You only need 7 rounds to count so if you dont fancy all 12 dates its no biggie and with possible bad wather 12 meeting may not even happen so it would stioll be 50%+1 if bad weather affect more than 2 meetings.

We normally have a strong turn out through the winter, 7 rounds will focus racers attension if they want championship points! Some people care about the championship some dont so, some dont like the cold others love it, lets have a good winters racing!

Last edited by DrPaul; 27-09-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 27-09-2015

Maybe this has been answered before or maybe never even brought up, not sure. What about having some form of incentive for the series champs? Like top 10 or something. Maybe even just plaques?

Last edited by fivepointnine; 27-09-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 28-09-2015

Hello Fivepointnine,

Its not so much as incentives are needed as we have a good turn out for the winter series, obviously not eveyone enjoys racing in the cold, its just Mr Speedy has raised the question of how many rounds we race. Most of the club racers race for the fun, some care about championship points some dont, some just like the bragging rights over their race buddies.

In the past its always been 2 meetings a month which is the same in the summer so the plan is to continue that pattern, most people ask for even more race dates but 2 meetings a month is more than managable.
Old 28-09-2015

There's nothing wrong with the setup we have .. but the numbers of peeps that actually raced enough rounds to count towards the championship was pretty low if I remember right .. and in fact was prob only around half a dozen .. if that !!

A better idea in opinion would be to have fewer championship rounds and then you have a better chance of peeps doing enough rounds to actually count ...

7 rounds to count over a winter is a lot ..

Just my thoughts ...
Old 28-09-2015
Mad Member

I have been wondering if we should do some prizes for those who do enough rounds to count...typically the person winning it will most likely have a big enough collection of trophies at home already, so we've not really worried about it before....but some T-shirts or Mugs or something could be cool I think

One thing we have spoken about, and not gotten around to doing yet....having a winners board in race control, so we can show who won each series each year.
Shells by Square Crabs
Old 28-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pinky View Post
I have been wondering if we should do some prizes for those who do enough rounds to count...typically the person winning it will most likely have a big enough collection of trophies at home already, so we've not really worried about it before....but some T-shirts or Mugs or something could be cool I think

One thing we have spoken about, and not gotten around to doing yet....having a winners board in race control, so we can show who won each series each year.
Maybe a raffle for those that did the minimum amount of rounds?
Old 28-09-2015

Some interesting stuff......

My two pence worth

Series/points,
Leave it alone. If it isn't broke, why are we trying to fix it? There are more important things to worry about. People who want points will do 7 rounds. There are also enough rounds for everyone to make the ones they can around 'life' commitments and still score enough to count. Weather will also play it's hand at some point. More rounds = an opportunity to be able to drop a round without everyone kicking off about it. Good news if you ask me.

Trophies,
Plaque - £15 on eBay
Plate thingys - pence
Small trophy - £3 (for each final winner at the end of the season)

It doesn't have to be very much. Bragging rights are everything. A plaque would mean more want their name on it (I would)
I am 100% behind this happening.
People have something to win/aim for. A championship is great to win, but a trophy you can wave in your mates face is priceless I would wave a trophy in Dr.Pauls face for decades, given the chance.
If you have sooooooo many trophies that yet another one would just get thrown out of the car window on the way home, was it worth attending the series anyway?? I think that's just a sad thing to happen to someone. A head so big, a mere club championship win is meaningless. Great example to set for the guys starting out and just how the hobby/sport should be advertised.

Raffle,
Great idea! It works at oOple, but get's a lot of support from sponsors. Sadly, we don't have any sponsors as a club..... Maybe food for thought there. It's not like we don't have advertising space around the tracks....

I have more, but I think here is a great place to stop.

CML - Team Associated - Reedy - Savox - Nuclear RC - Schumacher Racing

CML UK Team Driver - Team Associated B6.1 - T6.1 - B64 - B6
A State Of RC podcast presenter
www.astateofrc.com
[url]https://www.facebook.com/groups/483687655122491/[url]

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQ..._as=subscriber
Old 29-09-2015

You say it isn't broke but you do realize who won both 2wd and truck championships this summer !!!!

Taking nothing away from them as you still have to be in it to win it .. but I still feel it would be good to have a more credible championship ...

... or maybe its just the quick guys aren't bothered about club champs ..
Old 29-09-2015

Personally I was very disappointed with the club not to have got anything for winning the winter series last year! Matt is correct having something to show for it does mean something no matter what it is you have won. Junior racers love getting something to show for there efforts and will come back but also as Andy said something in race control would be cool
Old 29-09-2015

For plaques...you could do like we did back in the US, thick clear perspex with a graphic on the back (I can email you examples if you need) much cheaper to make than traditional plaques and are a bit more "showy" You could have that style for the top 10 of each class for the same price as the traditional style plaques for the top 3 of each class.

It probably would not be too hard to solicit for a small sponsor for the series who gives some prizes for the winners in exchange for advertising? (Not sure how that works here in the UK)
Old 29-09-2015

Talking Newbie

Well I'm only just starting out and will crash more than the points I will receive but the more dates the better and a trophy at the end has gotta be good.maybe trophies for some stupid categories ( worst paint job, slowest lap,)