Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 31-01-2013

Default Hobbywing Xtreme Stock or Speed Passion Reventon

Got these two ESCs in mind but have read that Hobbywing and Speed Passion are the same, or very similar.

Not sure which of the two to get. It will be with a 13.5T motor in a touring car if thats relevant.
Old 31-01-2013
Mad Member

Speed Passion used to have a Hobbywing tiie in..

The Reventon Series is now made in house and is nothing to do with Hobbywing
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 31-01-2013

Xtreme stock all the way! Great price and crazy fast without breaking a sweat, best stock esc hands down, my mate just bought a v3.0 and it's twice the price, slower and has no brakes, I have a lot of experience with the different firmware and the stock firmware ending in 0119 or similar is the fastest by far to me, it came in either the v1.64 download or v.1.63 the v3.0 firmware was just not as fast and aggressive i suggest not to update to latest firmware, you need to def get the programme card as well, that is when he magic happens when you apply 50 deg of boost!
Old 31-01-2013

I have the program card for a Hobbywing EZrun ESC. I assume I can use that? Or through the card to a PC and fiddle with the firmwares?
Old 31-01-2013

If ur looking at reventon the pro for £100 and that esc will do any class and has the programmer with it to link to pc so save urself £20 there also, the r is just alway month or 2 behind with updates and the hobbywing is great but his mate must of done something wrong with the v3 if its slow and no brake, I have a v3 also and just as good as any other esc very fast great brakes
Old 31-01-2013

xtreme stock all way. you need that usb program card...
Old 31-01-2013

I have both the Xtreme stock and the Xerun SD60A the Xerun is slightly bigger but you can by one with the pro LCD box for the same price as the Xtreme and put the same firmware in.
Old 31-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddscott View Post
Got these two ESCs in mind but have read that Hobbywing and Speed Passion are the same, or very similar.

Not sure which of the two to get. It will be with a 13.5T motor in a touring car if thats relevant.
Hobbywing. Xtreme Stock for boost, Justock for blinky. Make sure you get the LCD programmer and update to the latest software. The latest blinky software fixes the issue with soft braking, not sure what the latest boost software is like on the brakes (there were issues with that too).

I'm not convinced by the quality of the lower spec Reventon - I had a Stock Club Race and it was finicky on the BEC. Pro might be better but it is bigger than the Hobbywings.
Old 31-01-2013

Bigger by a tiny bit (1-2mm)but does every thing handle most motors 3.5t and will run cooler as made for 3.5t motors
It's £60-70 the xtreme the £20 for programme it's only 60 amp the softwear isn't getting any update only v3 hobbywing so u have a brand new out dated esc
So if u can push extra £10-20 get a reventon pro fits in a tc with all the electrics on the chassis is 140amps (top esc power) and comes with the programmer

I am not saying the hobbywing is bad but why do u want a old v2-2.1 when the v3 is out
Old 31-01-2013

Also if u haven't got ur motor I know rcmart does cheap deal on esc and motor £120-130 an its the 13.5 t Mmm speedpassion motor
Old 31-01-2013

Thanks for the feedback guys. I got a good deal on an extreme in the end.
Old 01-02-2013

Chaps, is there anything 'wrong' with the Reventon Pro? It looks like a really tidy piece of kit, but everywhere i look shops are dropping prices, i haven't seen many trackside (sooo many HW v3's) and it looks as though Speed Passion having brought out STOCK software (13.5t/21.5t specific) for it yet based on the blurb i read and the Speed Pasion website (would happily be proved wrong though )

Any reports of people who use it in TC Stock?

Cheers, and apolgies for hijacking the thread

Chris
Old 01-02-2013

The pro is a good esc and the price dropped due to the softwear being hard to get working on ur pc for the first few times releases but has been fine with the last 3-4 releases ,I also have the r but got a pro as it handles so much more ,the v20 stock1 softwear is blowing the r but not the pro due to the 140 amp limit and is meant to be really fast with timing

The pro has also gotten good results with buggies also due the the mod2 softwear
Old 01-02-2013

Thanks for the reply, i just looked at the SP site again and there is STOCK1 software out, but this caters for 10.5 down, they say Hybrid Boost software for 13.5t upwards will be available soon...but its said that since release, how mcuh difference that would make i'm not sure.

Just have to wait and see.

Cheers.
Old 01-02-2013

no that was v18 or v19 stock1 softwear but u could still use it with a 13.5t i did was ok but lacked mid, it just didnt use as much timing i guess as was more for mod motors now v20 is all turns and has better mid i heard for 13.5t
Old 01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddscott View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I got a good deal on an extreme in the end.
The only thing with the extreme stock is they come into two half's in a crash, and stop working. I would advice any one with the said ecs to apply a little super glue to the lugs on the ecs so this do's not happen.
Old 01-02-2013

everyone I know who has had the reventon has ended up buying another esc after a few weeks. make what you will, but I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole
Old 02-02-2013
Mad Member

I switched to the Speed Passion Reventon Pro from Lrp sxx v1s. The Reventon is very smooth, fast and adjustable, with great brakes. I do need to run the fan in 4wd with a 5.5 , but not in 2wd with 6.5.
Great driveability with this speedo, and plenty of setups from the speed passion guys.
Both programming card and pc software work fine.
Old 02-02-2013

I am on my 3rd reventon has done me proud and u say u know lots of ppl buying other brands after getting them unless its failure I know lots of ppl the swap esc because they just can't set them up in one meting and get bored
Old 02-02-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispattinson View Post
I switched to the Speed Passion Reventon Pro from Lrp sxx v1s. The Reventon is very smooth, fast and adjustable, with great brakes. I do need to run the fan in 4wd with a 5.5 , but not in 2wd with 6.5.
Great driveability with this speedo, and plenty of setups from the speed passion guys.
Both programming card and pc software work fine.

I also changed from a LRP SXX V2 TC Spec ESC, had two fitted to my 2wd/4wd with 6.5 / 8.5 motors, basically LRP after-sale's was shite, they had a problem with the BEC board, knew it but didn't want to know it or fix it, just wanted me to wait for stock of the new boards then charge me for their known faults !

Jumped to Speed Passion Reventon Pro's when they came out with their V3 Motor's as well.
They did had a couple teething problems at the start as it was a brand new in house design and it took a couple software updates to get things right, now all is OK, Reports of faults were taken in and fixed with the next update. Team drivers were on hand for advice and setups.

It's smooth through the rev range, great brakes, runs cool and so adjustable compared to the LRP's. Wouldn't look at another ESC at the moment, SP Tech's have answered all my questions when asked.

I do run a Hobbywing in my Losi Mini 8, but if I could fit a Speed Passion in then I would !!

Just my two pennies worth
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311