Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 08-02-2020

Default Upgrades for Cougar Laydown

I am about to buy my son and I a pair of Cougar Laydowns and build them together.
As we are buying kits the rollers will be standard.
I am always a sucker for hop-ups and upgrades, but as I now have to buy two of everything I wanted to get some advice from seasoned LD owners.
We race on astro outside, mainly dry (we have other cars for wet conditions).

Which upgrades are 'must haves' (ie alloy parts, brass weights, springs and pistons etc)?

Which are 'could gets' if you fancy it.?

Thanks in advance.

Neil

Hobbywing Xr10 Pro - Savox -Much More - Sanwa

SURREY AND HANTS RADIO CONTROLLED CAR CLUB - SHRCCC
Old 10-02-2020

You May be best going down to the club/track you race at to see what everyone else is using on their Laydowns or have a look at the setup sheets on the Schumacher site to see what the pros are using on your intended track surface as a ref point.

The upgrades I currently have on my laydown are; Brass radio tray, under servo weight, Trishbits shin splitter, Alloy 5 degree yokes + hub carriers, Alloy link mounts front and rear, Alloy centre track rod V2 + radius arms, Rear ARB, 3 plate slipper conversion, CNC idler gear & U/J drivershafts.
The upgrades have been added over the last 8 months of racing the car starting with the brass weights as these gave the car better handling/traction. I then started adding the speed option alloy parts to the front of the car for strength and better steering responce.

The rear of the car saw the last of the upgrades with the CNC idler gear, 3 plate slipper, U/J driveshafts and rear ARB.

Future upgrades may include the X-Brace conversion & battery cradle + the alloy differential gear once the current one has done its duty.
I use the car for both indoor club meets and astro racing outdoors

Last edited by Spils77; 10-02-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-02-2020

I've just gone back to a cougar and would say the must haves are the alloy 5 degree yokes, alloy CTR and cnc idler gear. The brass electronic weight and under servo weight are great for tuning as is the rear brass hanger.
Old 13-02-2020

Nothing is a must have, but if you want to buy something, the alloy centre track rod allows more adjustments that you both will notice, if your going outside, the new V3 ball differtial works well on low grip or wet surfaces and takes a couple of minutes to swap with the gear differtial.