PDA

View Full Version : Preds are so brittle!!!

njc11
20-07-2008, 06:10 PM
First venture out today with the pred.. and gave the B4 a blast too...

Went to Bury... just a free for all as they didnt turn up to get a race meeting going.. :( but the plus side of that i could set the cars up,try them, set them up etc..

B4 was spot on...

The pred.. mmmmm.... these cars are so brittle! :thumbdown: in field and stuff superb.. but get a jump wrong and it breaks.. did 2 top rear wishbones! and a bent a turn buckle (hadnt put the titanium ones in up to that point) very frustrating, scared of breaking it again so wasnt giving it a proper run..

Anyone else have problems with breakages?

Cheers

Nick
:thumbsup:

footey
20-07-2008, 06:22 PM
yes fit the titanium turnbukles and they shouldnt bend again as for arms i havnt broke any of them

markmarshall
20-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Sorry to hear that nick got to say i have never broken that part before and have only broke a bit on it when its been driver error. Give it time and dont give up with the car once set right im sure it one of the quickest and strongest cars on the market.if you have any questions on the car drope me a pm or anyone else on the team will only be to happy to help:thumbsup:

thanks mark

njc11
20-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Cheers for the words of confidence.. :thumbsup:

Im running at Southport next weekend in 2wd.. im guessing you guys will be there?? if so can you have a look at the car for me please?!?!

Also the titanium turnbuckles, do team extreme do a purpose made spanner for them?

Cheers

Nick

footey
20-07-2008, 06:56 PM
not sure they do the orbells made some for us

mattym0310
20-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi nick, again I am also sorry to hear about this. I haven't had any problems with the wishbones before, I haven't broken one yet :) the only plastic/graphite part I have broken so far on the car is one front upright, so no.. I wouldn't class it as a brittle car. Once the Ti turnbuckles are on the car you should have no problems with this anymore.
Just stick with the car and practice. I haven't been to Bury with the car yet, not been there for a while actually :(, but I think Tom goes there frequently so may be a good source of help track side (thats only if you need it of course ;)
I can assure you that the Pred is a strong car, but remember that all cars have weaknesses, the Pred is no different. If you need any help at all, drop me a pm or my email address is on my profile.

Thanks
Matt

mattym0310
20-07-2008, 06:59 PM
The spanner i used was a Lunsford item however, i'm not sure if it fits well being quite wide. If you don't have the turnbuckles yet, let me know as I have a full spare set lying about.
thanks

niggs98
20-07-2008, 07:59 PM
like everyone else on here im yet to break a top wishbone and at the recent euros i had mine dremmelled right down and did strenth test them due to the testing nature of the track without issue.

either the lusford adjuster or a 4mm spanner work fine for the turnbuckles as long as they are the newer titanuim ones (ie same as the steering ones). we will be at southport so feel free to come over for a chat about anything you need to know. if you cant find anyone from the team just ask in race control and they will put out a call for me

thanks

Nathan Ralls

Tom3012
20-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Hi there!

I have also broken a rear upper wishbone and that was at bury, but you have to remember, bury has a reputation for being a "car breaker" track because it is so challenging! I still dont have confidence to push the pred as much as i would at southport in fear of breaking it, but its all about practice and getting to know the track so you can pick the fastest lines for the car! (im sure you already knew that though :p)

As said though, stick with it and you will in time, be rewarded! The first couple of weeks i struggled to settle with the car but with the new parts coming out it is definately getting better and more of a pleasure to drive!

You should bring your pred to southport one week, i think you will find it easier to drive round southport and see the true potential the car actaully has.

I think ill be at southport on the saturday just to help out (ill bring my pred), but only till around 4 as im workin later on... Your welcome to come and take a look at my car and ask me any questions you see fit!

Any questions, pm or speak to me on saturday :)

Tom

Belsten
20-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Ive not broken one of those either, I have found it to be a really solid car :thumbsup:

njc11
21-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Hi there!

I have also broken a rear upper wishbone and that was at bury, but you have to remember, bury has a reputation for being a "car breaker" track because it is so challenging! I still dont have confidence to push the pred as much as i would at southport in fear of breaking it, but its all about practice and getting to know the track so you can pick the fastest lines for the car! (im sure you already knew that though :p)

As said though, stick with it and you will in time, be rewarded! The first couple of weeks i struggled to settle with the car but with the new parts coming out it is definately getting better and more of a pleasure to drive!

You should bring your pred to southport one week, i think you will find it easier to drive round southport and see the true potential the car actaully has.

I think ill be at southport on the saturday just to help out (ill bring my pred), but only till around 4 as im workin later on... Your welcome to come and take a look at my car and ask me any questions you see fit!

Any questions, pm or speak to me on saturday :)

Tom

Im going to stick with it for now, going to be ordering some spares shortly..

Anyway, any set up tips for southport?? there might be a chance im in for 4WD :thumbsup: suspension settings, what shock oil / piston i need etc springs and spacers? ( i have the new shocks)

The upper wishbones which broke, i wasnt even at racing speed, just practising over the first dbl jumps after the cobbled hairpin, simple tumbles and they broke.. annoying really.. anyway..

Set up tips for the pred would be much appreciated, at least im halfway there then i can just fine tune! (as long as it doesnt break again! lol!)

Cheers

Nick

Tom3012
21-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Small breaks like that are annoying, but as you get use to the car you should find they become less and less.

As for a setup for southport, check the setup section on here, it should have my southport setup which i have found to be the best so far out of a few i have tried.

Any more questions just ask, or come and find me on saturday :)

Tom

njc11
21-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Tom,

You have a pm!

Cheers

Nick:thumbsup: