PDA

View Full Version : B4 shocks on a gold tub?

tymill
16-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Can it be done? Are the lengths similar? Can I use the original RC10 shafts if need be to get the lengths right? Hmmm..

Love the old gold shocks - but despite rebuilds with new seals and rings they just weep too much and just seem plain tired. Thinking of upgrading...

It's funny - brought my old RC10 out of retirement 2 years ago after about 20 years of storage (I used to race it back in "the day") and it's slowly bit-by-bit becoming another car now that I'm racing it again....

Will never part with the 6-gear though!

Cheers,
Ty

Spoolio
17-06-2009, 05:33 AM
Dunno if it can be "done" properly (shaft lengths etc) but I've got some on the back of mine and they seem to work fine. They are just Stealth ones that I had lying about after I'd upgraded to a set of FT threaded shocks on my B4. Far less fafffing about than refilling the ancient old ones.

I had to space the bottom mount out from the arm so I used a longer screw and a brass bushing which was also ex-B4 (steering rack) to get the shock to sit at the correct angle of dangle.

superdez
17-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Altough i have never run an RC 10, I do have experiance of the associated shocks as i have just restored a Yokomo Works, and have used associated shocks all round, and after reading numerous posts on RC 10 Talk i am pretty sure you will need the following itmes.

.56 or .71 shocks on the front with the applicable shafts.

1.02 or 1.32 shocks on the rear. the 1.32 will require a spacer inside the shocks, again with applicable shafts.

The rears are available from tower hobbies in the states as whole kits as are the .56.

They use the same internals as modern associated shocks as well as the caps.

You can get the .71 bodies from CML still.

VALKYRIE RC MOTORSPORTS on ebay usually as good second hand/vintage rc 10 stuff

Hope that helps

4wdlover
22-06-2009, 12:08 AM
don't use the b4 shocks on the rc10 they'll cause the rear universals to eat up your outdrives. they're not long enough.

it could be done, but the fronts will be an issue. unless you get a larger front shock tower from ebay or some where else. the rears could be matched with threaded 1.32" shock bodies part# 7415. depending on what you're going to do with your buggy, race or bash you could go with either the 1.02" shaft or the stocker 1.32" shaft. i would recommended the gold 1.02" shaft part# 6417. for the fronts, if you find the shock tower, you could do the threaded 1.02" body part# 7414 with gold 1.02" shafts. or the .71" shafts part# 6418. contact this guy on ebay... kuongkw (http://myworld.ebay.com/kuongkw&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID) . he makes shock towers for the rc10 in carbon fibre. his front shock tower allows you to use .89" shocks up front. if you go this route you could get some threaded .89" bodies part# 9312 and the .71" shafts. and your set. i recommended this route because finding a longer shock tower for the front would take you for ever and you'll probably pay a stupid amount for it. wouldn't be worth it. just contact the guy for the front shock tower, and maybe the rear too, and get your 1.32" and .89" shock bodies and you'll be set.

tymill
22-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Sounds pretty complicated - will do some comparing etc next time I've got the car right next to a B4 and figure out what might be poss.

Thanks for the info though!