PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 14th March?

simoncrabb
11-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Is there racing on this Sunday morning?

I've not been before, coming over from Bournemouth, what time does it open?

mikeyscott
11-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Hi,

Yes there will be and I think the aim is to start at 9am. I'm not there this week, but the usual crowd will be. Steve B will be racing is Cat SX as normal I think.

I'll be back on the 21st.

Can you PM me your details etc. such as class, car, PT, frequency etc etc. as I'll then get Julain to add them to the database before you come.

Matt-h
11-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Simon, if the weather holds i will be there mate

mikeyscott
11-03-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm not racing :( and it would have been a B4 weekend!

jkonline
11-03-2010, 06:26 PM
I should be there this week.

super gripper
11-03-2010, 08:49 PM
I will be there, tweeked the car some what from last week, should go better now with the less weight of the lipo's

weather has remained dry and looks to stay that way if a little cold

I use three weather web sites

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=so32&day=3

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/11?&search=southampton&itemsPerPage=10&region=uk

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/southampton_forecast_weather.html

when they all say the same thing............:thumbsup:

lets hope we have some more numbers this week

mikeyscott
11-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Yup good weather and I can't make it. Should be there weather petting each Sunday until the 11th April and maybe more if my cougar turns up soon :)

mikeyscott
13-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Weather is looking good and if Simon comes it'll be something other than a B4 :)

Captain-Codpiece-The-2nd
13-03-2010, 05:50 PM
I am going to come over from Bournemouth too, been a while so though I should show my face.

Simoncrabb if you fancy sharing a lift over let me know, I get lonely all that driving on my own....lol. Got a whopping big van too.
________
Ford Contour Specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Contour)

mikeyscott
13-03-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm not going and all these people :(

Lloyd can you pm me your frequencies, class, car and PTs etc if you have one so I can forward them on to the chap with the laptop.

Where are running a AMB based timing system, so please can new members have their PT numbers to hand etc.

Normally I'd add them to the laptop etc. but I haven't got it.

mikeyscott
14-03-2010, 03:25 PM
How did it go today?

simoncrabb
14-03-2010, 05:22 PM
18 cars, we had a great time, we'll definitely be back!

Our thoughts for improvements (if you're looking for outsider opinions!):

* Wider track width - it's very narrow
* Shorter lap length (15-20 laps per race is average?)
* More heats - 4 heats of 4 or 5 cars with a couple of minutes between each would have worked wonderfully today with much better flow of racing.
* Improve marshalling positions - often too much track to cross to get to cars

But all in all the club is great, has a lot of potential, and great for learning astro setups and accurate driving.

Also, any evening mid-week meetings in the summer, or opportunities for practice etc?

mikeyscott
14-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Hi,

Always open to ideas within reason :)

I'll be back next week

simoncrabb
14-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Cool. Tyres confused me a bit today, I tried yellow minispikes, and they generated too much grip.

I was under the impression that yellows were the 'usual' dry astro tyre? Is Titch unusual in needing blues?

mikeyscott
14-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Cool. Tyres confused me a bit today, I tried yellow minispikes, and they generated too much grip.

I was under the impression that yellows were the 'usual' dry astro tyre? Is Titch unusual in needing blues?

Yup welcome to the WTF grip track! EPR was great as you as you say picked yellows in the dry and had nice amounts of grip!

Steve knows his stuff and can drive etc. but I'd be interested in other peoples tyre comments etc. I.e. we need Grant Williams etc. come on down ;)

Were your Yellows new or worn?

What did you race in the end?

When I get the laptop back I'll get the results online.

www.torchracing.org.uk/results - ignore the Tuesday result as I need to delete that entry

simoncrabb
14-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Oh, so maybe it is unusual then!

I ran the rb5 mainly, on worn yellows and it was good.

But gave the 511 a few runs on worn yellows and grip rolled everywhere. Felt way too soft, though the front inserts seemed knackered. I'll have to experiment.

mikeyscott
14-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Oh, so maybe it is unusual then!

I ran the rb5 mainly, on worn yellows and it was good.

But gave the 511 a few runs on worn yellows and grip rolled everywhere. Felt way too soft, though the front inserts seemed knackered. I'll have to experiment.

When I raced my Cat SX in the dry last year with yellows the fronts had very little tyre left and I can't remember the state of the rears.

Losi XX I used staggered ribs and worn yellows or blues. I'm wanting to run my B4 (Cougar SV soon) with mini spikes all round and work on the shocks

Hurrah!! a 2WD car that's not a B4!!! Very nice, I'd like to see the 511

simoncrabb
14-03-2010, 06:10 PM
The RB5 is a sweet car, though I'll not hesitate to change it for the Tamiya 2wd when it's available!

mikeyscott
14-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Cool, just as long as it won't be another B4!

I'm going to struggle next time I'm there as I haven't raced at TORCH for a while and sounds like the grip levels are a nightmare again!

mikeyscott
14-03-2010, 06:27 PM
So numbers were good today, with some tweaks we could be in for a great summer!

I know the track is a bit narrow in places.. Hence why I think the max numbers if possible per heat should be 7/8 but that depends on race entry numbers

mikeyscott
14-03-2010, 06:45 PM
2wd for me next week as I am chassis less in my cat sx. Sold the bottom deck and now need to order the sx2 deck

I think we were missing some regulars today too, so 18 is pretty good. March 28th is looking good on the long range forecast

robh
15-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Top fun at Torch, and its so close to me i can't believe i've never been over before:blush:.

Great track and with the addition of the table top and who knows what after the track work day its got real potential.

Thanks.

Rob

mikeyscott
15-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Top fun at Torch, and its so close to me i can't believe i've never been over before:blush:.

Great track and with the addition of the table top and who knows what after the track work day its got real potential.

Thanks.

Rob

Cheers for the comments. We've got a few technical issues to sort then I think things can be focused on the facilities etc etc.

simoncrabb
16-03-2010, 04:35 PM
I don't think the track width limits the numbers in a heat, it's so long that they all spread out anyway. And I'm all for more heats with less cars in them.

I'm more of the thinking that it needs to be wider so you can go offline without going into or over a track marker.

I've posted a blog entry about my visit:

http://rclazy.com/2010/03/16/torch-titchfield-off-road-car-hants/