PDA

View Full Version : Ball Studs...

antnee
31-10-2007, 03:05 PM
How are ball stud's measured?

the ones for my xxx-cr should be .375" on the front camber link, so is this .375" the thread length?

Chrislong
31-10-2007, 03:12 PM
How are ball stud's measured?

the ones for my xxx-cr should be .375" on the front camber link, so is this .375" the thread length?

All the round bits of your ballstuds are the same.

Some have a shortneck, and this is stated if so, if no mention they are normal neck. This is the height of the ball from the shoulder upwards.

The .375" is 3/8th of an inch, this is the length of the thread - from the shoulder down to the end.

antnee
31-10-2007, 03:49 PM
thanks, it is the ones that are one at the moment then

hmm.. can you suggest what length ones to go for, even though its the length losi says should be on the front, they are stripping the bulkhead too easily :mad:

Chrislong
31-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Oh no, bad news mate.

How deep are the holes? If you have a .050" driver, prod it down the hole, put your thumb where the hole ends and pull it out - that should be the length (or next smallest) your ballstud needs to be.

But saying that, I would have thought you'd get away with as long ballstud as you'd like in there :wtf:

So, here's what do do - seeing as the material on most cars is prone to stripping threads when heat is generated by cutting new threads. Use the driver to screw the ballstud down, but don't tighten it, leave it approx 1mm from tight - and then do the other side, the same, leave it 1mm. (I bet you can feel it quite hot, this is because it is cutting new thread). Let it feel cool to the touch, and then tighten it, only touch tight.

but if your ballstud is too long, that'll need addressing first. Doing the thing above when tightening any screw/ballstud into Losi plastic is always a good idea, as the heat from cutting new threads can literally melt the plastic and that strips the threads.

Chris

antnee
31-10-2007, 04:43 PM
thanks, had a look around but cant find much :(

can someone point me to some 4-40 ball studs that are about 1/2" or longer :D in the UK, and pref in stock

bigred5765
31-10-2007, 09:37 PM
i have to agree with Chris on this one, we race Losi for over a year and used as long a ball stud as possible, as the material seems get hot quick then strip way to easy, i would pre tap all the holes first,then let it cool and add the ball stud when its cooled