PDA

View Full Version : 2wd and 4wd

tisher
04-09-2011, 08:05 AM
just wondering why we run 2 and 4 wheel drive heats separate.
the last meeting i was there was when southport was shut so it was really busy yet there still only ended up with 14 4wd cars in the finals 10 in A final and only 4 In B final. surely it would be better to just run mixed heats on fun days based on your ability. That then would also eliminate the problem with having the children marshalling the top heats. I'm pretty sure most of the top 2wd drivers would not mind running against 4wds because there doing the same amount of laps

coleman758
04-09-2011, 08:36 AM
just wondering why we run 2 and 4 wheel drive heats separate.
the last meeting i was there was when southport was shut so it was really busy yet there still only ended up with 14 4wd cars in the finals 10 in A final and only 4 In B final. surely it would be better to just run mixed heats on fun days based on your ability. That then would also eliminate the problem with having the children marshalling the top heats. I'm pretty sure most of the top 2wd drivers would not mind running against 4wds because there doing the same amount of laps

Nick Cox normally runs his B4 in the 4WD A, and normally wins haha!
I can't see there being any problem?

Si Coe
04-09-2011, 08:52 AM
We used to do that a year or so ago when we only had enough racers for 2 heats at all.
The issue is that running that format is what got Phil his Durango - He got beaten in the final racing his B4.1 against Mark's Bmax. It was clear Phil was the better driver, but the 4wd offered just enough advantage to push Mark ahead.
In fact, when we mostly ran 'Fun' class, 2wds were rare because few would choose not to have the advantage. In contrast, at a typical Southport meeting, they will have 3-4 heats of 2wds and 1 of 4wd. Because the classes are split, 2wd is more popular.
TBH 14 4wds is a good turnout for most clubs.....

tisher
04-09-2011, 10:55 AM
We used to do that a year or so ago when we only had enough racers for 2 heats at all.
The issue is that running that format is what got Phil his Durango - He got beaten in the final racing his B4.1 against Mark's Bmax. It was clear Phil was the better driver, but the 4wd offered just enough advantage to push Mark ahead.
In fact, when we mostly ran 'Fun' class, 2wds were rare because few would choose not to have the advantage. In contrast, at a typical Southport meeting, they will have 3-4 heats of 2wds and 1 of 4wd. Because the classes are split, 2wd is more popular.
TBH 14 4wds is a good turnout for most clubs.....

I can see where you are coming from si ;)It was just a thought because at ribble they just run heats on abilty which means the children end up not marshalling the top heats with it only being club days it also allows the top drivers to run either there 2 or 4wds during the same day it just seems to make more sense because it then allows all the top drivers to be racing against each other and makes the heats much more even on ablity and would surely give more time for more racing