PDA

View Full Version : Anti squat

ryan
23-08-2006, 04:37 PM
hi

please can somebody tell about anti squat on the b4, i thouhgt adding helped it ride the bumps better but in other 2wd cars manuals say taking away helps it go over bumps better. Im CONFUSED:confused: HELP ME!!!!

ryan

PaulRotheram
23-08-2006, 05:35 PM
The way i've been told.. and used anti squat is like so:

more is better over bumps but less rear end. less has more rear end but worse over bumps.

jimmy
23-08-2006, 06:06 PM
I think it also depends whether you are on or off power over the bumps ?

I'm not really good enough to notice the difference of changing the anti squat. The only thing I use the anti squat for is to rotate the car in the corners. More anti squat will give less rear bite and the car will turn more.

Oscar
24-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Surely it the other way, less anti squat rides the bumps better ie: 0 is better over bumps than -2:confused:

PaulRotheram
24-08-2006, 10:27 AM
I think because the squat is there and giving an angle on the wishbones that it makes the car ride the bumps better rarther than having a flat base.

for example the front kick up on a 2wd, if that was 0 degrees I can imagine it wouldnt handle the bumps better than what it is now.

Cree gave a good explanation on the doughty forum:

'just so my answer doesn't seem totally pointless, first of all we don't actually run antisquat on our cars, we just angle our lower wishbones which is a different thing, however.....

More angle - same as softer spring off power and stiffer spring on power. If you have trouble with bumps going into corners then more is good

Less angle - opposite of above, if you are having trouble going over bumps while accelerating then less angle is good.

More angle, jumps further and makes more of an arc in the air, more drive, less sidebite.'

yin
28-09-2006, 07:32 PM
from niel craggs set up at tiverton.he added a note at the bottom of the set up sheet.
that said when the track became more bumpy.he changed from 2 degree anti squat to 1 degree.
hope this helps.

PaulRotheram
28-09-2006, 11:30 PM
maybe is varies from different tracks surfaces? :confused: i was told from pidge (lee martin) that anti squat - more is better over bumps, less rear end, less is worse over bumps, but has more rear end grip.. hmmm

confused? you bet yah :D

jimmy
28-09-2006, 11:56 PM
Lots of opinions about I guess. Afaik mick cragg takes off anti squat on bumpy tracks because it stops the back end hopping side to side.

U.S.CAT3K
05-12-2006, 07:17 PM
....takes off anti squat on bumpy tracks because it stops the back end hopping side to side.

This is what I've noticed as well.

OldTimer
05-12-2006, 07:46 PM
We have found while testing the S4 that the less anti squat the better the car is over serious bumps, and a lot better over high speed bumps.

Eg at coventry we use 0deg as it is pretty bumpy there and at kidderminster we use 2deg as it is smooth compared with Cov.