Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 20-02-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default best transmitter for a 6 year old?

I'm trying to get an old madrat rolling for my son to use (he will be 6 in a few weeks).
I just wondered what the best transmitter would be for his little hands? Anyone else have any recommendations from when their kids started driving? I currently have a Core Code which is probably one of the smaller stick ones around, but it still may be a little big for him.

Not having used a wheel before (god knows how people can get a car round the track with those horrible things!) i'm not really sure of the different models and sizes etc.

any recommendations gladly received.
ta

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 20-02-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've picked up a Spektrum DX3.0 for my 5 year old as it's pretty light.
The other must have for it was the end point adjustment so that I could turn the power down at the transmitter - although he was watching me do it and I caught him turning it back up again!
Old 20-02-2011
Mad Member

DX3e and DX3R depending on your budget mate. My kids have both, Jake started with the DX3R and has been using it for 2-3 years. He is turning 8 in May. My little girl is not 5 yet and she uses the DX3e.

The only thing that might be a problem is braking. At first I started them on using quite a bit of drag brake but they would nose dive every time they jumped. I took that off and modified the trigger with an extra bit of fuel tubing so their fingers touch the front of the trigger. Now they can brake too, not that they bother to though
Old 20-02-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Wheel with endpoints, I tried my kids on sticks, big mistake.
Old 20-02-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

thanks for the pointers guys. I was hoping for a tranny with end points as suggested, until he learns to at least go in a straight line!
i'll keep my eyes peeled for a cheap DX3

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 20-02-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

sorry, does the basic DX3e have end points Carl? or is it only the higher spec models?

anyone come across one of the etronix wheels? they do a 2.4gz for £35. Not sure on the full features, but it's tempting as a starter until he makes up his mind if he enjoys it.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 21-02-2011
Mad Member

My lad is 7 and uses sticks. I tried to get him to use a wheel as thats what the 'cool' kids use but he really didnt like them as brakes were a problem, and he didnt like the steering.

He uses an old KO esprit which I fixed up and he loves it. The new code handsets are also pretty decent, and really light.
Old 21-02-2011
Mad Member

Sorry, just checked, she has a DX3S and my boy a DX3R. But yes, I believe the DX3e also has end points. Added benefit of any of these radio's are that they only use 4 x AA's and if you use the lithium ones it's very light and easy for them to use.
Old 21-02-2011
YORCC legend

My daughter - slightly older at 12 - has just started using my old Ansmann W3 2.4 gig system and she loves it. My question: why do you 'need' to buy a more expensive Spektrum system for a 6 year old? The Ansmann has end points and dual rate so you can set it up for a child and it costs a fraction of a Spektrum system.

Just a thought.
Old 21-02-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

cheers farmboy. as i said, i have no idea about wheels, so i'm open to all suggestions. The end points will be useful so i can limit his speed at first to save money on breakages! But if the cheaper handsets have this feature then that's fine.

also, do all the handsets mentioned have a clip thing to attach a neck strap too? Being young the tranny may feel heavy after a while for him, and he is clumsy so prone to drop it!!

cheers

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 21-02-2011

Send a message via Skype™ to Carole_MH
Default Etronix pro

The etronix pro wheel system has all the features of the more expensive ones and is very light and easy for a child to hold. Can't remember about attaching a neck strap as I've not had to use mine for a while ( bought as a back up incase my 4pks developed a fault ). The 3 channel one is great and also can store multiple models so you could set it for him for various scenarios I.e. Club nights, bit of practise in street/garden etc. You can also adjust the curve on the etronix pro so not only turn the end point down to limit the speed you can turn the throttle curve down too to limit acceleration and braking so he won't shoot off or stop dead if he pushes or pulls the trigger too hard.

Carole.
Old 21-02-2011
YORCC legend

I've just checked and the older W3 Ansmann Tx doesn't have a loop for a strap. The newer W6 does, but costs a wee bit more. I think Ansmann stuff and Etronix are very similar, if not identical. Plenty of people at the York club have both and are very happy with them.

Last edited by farmboy; 21-02-2011 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake