Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 09-05-2012

Default Team Tamiya Top Force

I have been asked to scan this magazine article so thought it deserved it's own thread. The Article is from the September 1992 edition of Radio Controlled Model Cars (it has the Tamiya Williams FW14 and Nigel Mansell on the front cover). This was about the time I was racing my Procat but really liked this car as I had had Tamiyas before but they weren't competitive races cars. This was their first attempt and they were doing quite well. Without this, there would never have been the TRF line of buggies, anyway enjoy:

If anyone wants a clearer pdf version, let me know and I can email it.
Old 09-05-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ace
Old 09-05-2012

Many thanks, great work!
Old 09-05-2012

Sweet Casio at the bottom of page 48
Old 09-05-2012
Mad Member

Awesome post. I saw an Ebay sale last week that reminded me of this model, and then this thread pops up, theres something mysterious going on lol.
Check those wishbones, OLD school.

lee
Old 09-05-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Remember those days...think that was Allan Harman's I'm sure he ran that paint job, I also think there is a man on here somewere who still has a team car

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 09-05-2012
Mad Member

I have that "Off Road Buggy Book" here! Worth anything??
Old 09-05-2012

I've just looked at my Evo and its got the same rear suspension pins hangers on mine too, i do remember that the car came from Riko all built and with a box of bits and tyres. Id love to find all those ally suspension parts.

jk
Old 09-05-2012

The modified rear suspension was initially a team mod to get more anti-squat, but quite a few clubmans cars were modified based on it as there was an article on how to do it in the mag not long after this issue. You just made different graphite parts for different degrees of anti squat. The wishbones were just cast in a stiffer material, ive got some of them.

A lot of the Team mods came standard, like the modified alloy motor mount that allowed smaller pinions and better heat dissipation. Front caster blocks were originaly MMS, but again Tamiya's came out after. There was a carbon LWB chassis version as well used with a longer RW carbon propshaft, but havent seen one of those in a while and werent that popular at the time.

I raced my Team copy in our Vintage series a couple of years back and still a very capable car on smaller tracks with a 8.5 or 10.5.

Even back then you could buid a 95% Team replica as you could get or make almost all of the parts required.

Great car, ill never get rid of my two versions
Old 09-05-2012

Dyna,

Do you have some pics of your cars to add to the thread?
Old 09-05-2012
Mad Member

i had one of them that car was awsome.:th umbsup:
Old 11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyna View Post
The modified rear suspension was initially a team mod to get more anti-squat, but quite a few clubmans cars were modified based on it as there was an article on how to do it in the mag not long after this issue. You just made different graphite parts for different degrees of anti squat. The wishbones were just cast in a stiffer material, ive got some of them.

A lot of the Team mods came standard, like the modified alloy motor mount that allowed smaller pinions and better heat dissipation. Front caster blocks were originaly MMS, but again Tamiya's came out after. There was a carbon LWB chassis version as well used with a longer RW carbon propshaft, but havent seen one of those in a while and werent that popular at the time.

I raced my Team copy in our Vintage series a couple of years back and still a very capable car on smaller tracks with a 8.5 or 10.5.

Even back then you could buid a 95% Team replica as you could get or make almost all of the parts required.

Great car, ill never get rid of my two versions
Sounds really interesting. Do you still have that magazine issue where the mod was explained more in detail?
Old 11-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesk View Post
I've just looked at my Evo and its got the same rear suspension pins hangers on mine too, i do remember that the car came from Riko all built and with a box of bits and tyres. Id love to find all those ally suspension parts.

jk
Pics!! especially of the rear suspension
Old 11-05-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyna View Post
There was a carbon LWB chassis version as well used with a longer RW carbon propshaft, but havent seen one of those in a while and werent that popular at the time.
I had one of the RW manta ray conversions with that propshaft, wish I still had it!
My recollection of it was that it struggled on tighter tracks but was fab over the bumps
Old 12-05-2012

Default My Evo

I have a few pictures here of the rear of the car, its still used from time to time. I love driving it, so much fun and not much slower that the newer stuff. I,ve also put a picture of my last resto project Avante

jK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010262.JPG (172.9 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg P1010264.JPG (170.1 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg P1010265.JPG (173.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg P1010266.JPG (176.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg P1010267.JPG (181.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg P1010268.JPG (169.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg P1010269.JPG (166.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg P1010259.JPG (172.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg P1010260.JPG (168.7 KB, 81 views)
Old 12-05-2012
Mad Member

Great pics of a great car, id love a Top Force, next to the Dynastorm, two of the best looking buggies ever created...and the YZ10 of course lol.

lee
Old 27-05-2012

Default I've just bought a top force.

Hi guys,

I just scored a Top Force on eBay and just getting to grips with it. It's a great runner.
Any tips or good hop ups you can recommend? I have a few alloy parts on it and ordered some new pressure plates and a alloy gearbox cover and have an old Dyna Tech 01R motor installed. I have a new Torque splitter coming and the 1/10 touring spur gear...... I think I have a 20T pinion on it......
I'll get some pics up on my own thread and introduce myself properly when I'm back from holiday.......

cheers,

Mark.
Old 28-05-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Brings back memories when i did Radio Race car and Nationals Jamie Booth and Alans cars were superb. This car did win the nats and euros so was good at the time.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS