Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Trade Room > Wanted

Old 17-12-2007

Default Brushless setup

Im after a brushless system, preferably an Lrp/Nosram and a 4.5/5.5 motor. Am sick to death of changing brushes and then skimming it, its got boring!!!
Im not sure how many variations of brushless systems there are but its for an x-5 so would like something small-ish.

Thanks
Old 17-12-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

Don't get a 4.5, it's way too fast.
Old 17-12-2007
Smirnoff Ice dancer

Send a message via MSN to ben

What sort of track will you be running on? I think a 4.5 will be too aggresive for a belt car and you might end up doin some damage to the belt and pulley. Most people tend to run a 6.5 or a 5.5. Hope this helps

lil ben
Old 17-12-2007
oOple Tattoo Dancer!

hi ben ye i told him the same at teeside hell be running at regionals and in a club at hull which is similiar to york minus the jumps
Old 17-12-2007

Right ok that sounds fair enough. And yea, ill be running mostly regionals. 5.5 sounds like a good option then and i can always turn down the speed easily, im a bit unsure of the motor specs as iv never ran one so thanks for all your help.
Old 17-12-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
What sort of track will you be running on? I think a 4.5 will be too aggresive for a belt car and you might end up doin some damage to the belt and pulley. Most people tend to run a 6.5 or a 5.5. Hope this helps

lil ben
Cos gears are bulletproof ben? A 4.5 is far too quick for indoors, sometimes my 5.5 LRP is too much, but it is a good balance for indoor and outdoor.
Old 17-12-2007
Smirnoff Ice dancer

Send a message via MSN to ben

yeh gears are quite reliable lol. Quicker to replace than taking nearly every screwout of the xx4 to change the belt tom.

lil ben
Old 17-12-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to blitzboy

matrix eloution is a good speed and nosram 5.5 or 6.5 is a good choice i run on grass asto truf and carpet and its about right but im only ruunin a b4 mate ,,,,well happy with the matrix though
Old 17-12-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

ESC wise you want to be looking at an LRP Sphere TC or the Nosram Matrix ISTC (same thing, different colour case). The Novak's look pretty good too from what I've seen of them, but seem to run a bit hotter than the LRP/Nosram.

As for motors I would advise you to stay away from the LRP/Nosram's, I have broken more motors than most for some reason (I seem to change motors more than Mr Foot changes cars ) and in my experience the LRP/Nosram motors are very prone to failing. Another thing to consider is how the manufacturer/distributer deals with replacements, again another reason to stay away from LRP in my experience - swapping a Nosram might be different. Getting replacements for the Novaks has been fine

In order of reliability in my experience - Orion (never had a failure) - Novak (a couple of rotors have had the magnet come unglued) - LRP (one motor stuttering, 2x rotors exploded and ruined the can's - none have been replaced)

YMMV
Old 18-12-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Well you could always do what I did and buy a Mamba Max Esc and use Orion brushless or any brushed motor.

I hear Novak is good (Dan Greenwood uses one) and I know LRP are good but the company that has been in this field a lot longer than them is Castle creations and thats why i bought it.

They have a better package for me due to being more tunable than the others, but it doesnt have sensored technology, its just a brushless sensorless and brushed esc, but is incredibly efficient and no matter how bad you treat it the esc still keeps on going like stink.

Have a look at the web site http://www.castlecreations.com/products/mamba_max.html
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 18-12-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx

Also the new novak L series motors are coming out soon, might well be a good idea to wait for them if running a belt driven car.

Also i could never get my Vortex to run on the mamba max ESC, i ended up going for a GTB (cheaper than the LRP) and never looked back, although the LRP/Nosram speedo's seem a little more adjustable ect.
Old 18-12-2007
oOple Tattoo Dancer!

josh them motors are already out
Old 18-12-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

L motors already out and are great, however I have no issues running a 5.5R in my X5 (belt driven) and have run it all year (except when I tried a 4.5 )

Don't think the Mamba will fit in Swiftkids X5 to be honest, I would like to try one sometime to see what they feel like, same as Tekin. In my mind I can't see how they could be any better than a sensored system and you do read of people having issues (more issues) with cogging.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 18-12-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to josh_smaxx

Didnt know they were out, good stuff

My mamba was as smooth as my GTB/orion set up on start up, it seemed more brutal through the rev range and the orion motor didnt not work at all on the mamba when pulling away, but when moving it was great.
Old 18-12-2007

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyG

PM Sent
Old 19-12-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by super__dan View Post
L motors already out and are great, however I have no issues running a 5.5R in my X5 (belt driven) and have run it all year (except when I tried a 4.5 )

Don't think the Mamba will fit in Swiftkids X5 to be honest, I would like to try one sometime to see what they feel like, same as Tekin. In my mind I can't see how they could be any better than a sensored system and you do read of people having issues (more issues) with cogging.
Dan,

If your ever down my neck of the woods you can try mine. Its roughly the size of the original Mtronicks ESC well slightly smaller in length and a lot slimmer, if you remember it was that green brick that I blew up just before the basildon worlds warm ups at the newport club, when it was being run by Sandra. I do agree, its almost like having a Tekin 410K in my car, as it is similar.

I havent had any problems with it and the accelaration is rapid and so is the top end, and you can gear the hell out of it and it still keeps pulling. The heat sink can get ridiculously hot but Castle say in their emails to me that they can get a lot hotter but wont ruin the performance. I havent tried in a shaft 4wd but in my belt car its a tight fit. Mind you the capacitors are all built in so no capacitors needed to be stuck on your chassis anywhere.

I also prefer the settings as you can have as many as you want in the race, so you are not set to three or four settings supplied by the manufaturer. I can like the Tekin 410K set the esc to be rapid for ten seconds then mellow the power for two mins and raise it gradually until the end of the heat where I can go up to full power or whatever suits you, even tho you wont do this the options are there, but thats why I opted for it. I came close to buying the Novak tho.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS

Last edited by Welshy40; 19-12-2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: .