Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 20-02-2011

Default Spektrum DX3e vs DX3.0

Hi all

Sold some stuff on the bay, so thought I'd upgrade my FS GT2 radio gear to a Spektrum (Steerwheel).

Been looking around tonight and have ruled out the 3s, mainly due to price. So that leaves the above title - as far as I can see the main differences are around the DX3 having a greater model memory and an LCD readout.

The DX3e only having the one model memory ain't too much of a problem for me as the FS GT I have been using is equally only 1 model memory, so just rebind it when I want to switch between cars/receivers.

So, my question really is, other than the differences in model memory and LCD screen, does the DX3 really have any major pluses over the DX3e?

Cheers
matt
Old 20-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattJT View Post
Hi all

Sold some stuff on the bay, so thought I'd upgrade my FS GT2 radio gear to a Spektrum (Steerwheel).

Been looking around tonight and have ruled out the 3s, mainly due to price. So that leaves the above title - as far as I can see the main differences are around the DX3 having a greater model memory and an LCD readout.

The DX3e only having the one model memory ain't too much of a problem for me as the FS GT I have been using is equally only 1 model memory, so just rebind it when I want to switch between cars/receivers.

So, my question really is, other than the differences in model memory and LCD screen, does the DX3 really have any major pluses over the DX3e?

Cheers
matt
Depends on which DX3 you want to compare it to, and if you really need three channels. The DX2S is a brilliant radio if you go computer, has five model memory, expo adjustment, telemetry options(temp, volt, speed), Count down, count up and intermittent timers, modelmatch. It's compatible with all Spektrum surface and marine receivers, and hey, it even comes with three different rubber grips!

The DX3S is pretty much the same story, but comes with 10 model memory, two receivers and has throttle punch, plus the auxiliary channel.

I use the DX3R and love it, but I could probably get away with having a 2S really. But I'm a gadget freak, so this week I'm getting a DX3R Pro!

Spektrum DX4R Pro - TLR 22 2.0 & TLR 22-4 - Absima

Team Smallsize
Old 20-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer View Post
Depends on which DX3 you want to compare it to,

Hi there, was essentially looking at the 3e vs the 3.0 (hadn't even thought of the DX2 range in theory tho, would I be right in thinking that the dx3's are an improvement on the dx2's?)

In reality, am bit of a gadget freak too, however the FSGT set up has served me well and TBH had all the adjustment that I really needed, so was kind of pointing towards the 3e - has all the same adjustments that I'm used to and for only 69 posted brand new with a servo and reciever seems like quite a good deal.

Best price for the 3.0 seems to be a nearly new combo from modelsport which is is also 69.

(just seen the price of the 3r pro...ouch)
Old 20-02-2011

My vote would be to go for the DX3e because it is native DSM2. DSM2 is a more robust signal system when compared to original DSM (due to the way that it processes the 2.4GHz signal).

That said, its one of those differences that you'll never really ever notice - but the tech behind it makes it stronger Tx/Rx link with faster rebinds in the event of a failsafe condition.

That said, both are good radios - the DX3 has the multi memory but the 3e has the DSM2 plus really cool looks :-)

Both will do the job you're looking for.

HTH
Old 20-02-2011

Cheers for that Gnarly, was pointing more in the 3e direction I think - as prefer both the looks and the manual trim controls (had an LCD control one a while back and really didn't get on with it).

Will go for the 3e

Many thanks
matt
Old 20-02-2011

Default now onto receivers

Sorry, one last question....is there really that much difference between the sr300 and sr3100 receivers?

Can get a brand new sr300 or used sr3100 for the same price

cheers
Old 20-02-2011

Matt,
Yes the difference between the 2 receivers is that the SR300 is DSM whilst the SR3100 is DSM2.
You can also use the SR300 with the DX3e but the SR3100 (and the SR3520) are DSM2 and so have the advantages of DSM2 signal transmission.

Hope this helps
Old 20-02-2011

Cool, sounds like better to get the sr3100 then, thanks again
Old 04-03-2011

Well, following this thread, got the dx3e and an extra receiver....well impressed with it - tis amazing the difference between my previous flysky 2.4 ghz................

However my question is, as have two receivers, two bind plugs, and one receiver, is there any reason why I can't leave the bind plug in each receiver so is easier to rebind when swopping and changing between cars?
Old 04-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattJT View Post
Well, following this thread, got the dx3e and an extra receiver....well impressed with it - tis amazing the difference between my previous flysky 2.4 ghz................

However my question is, as have two receivers, two bind plugs, and one receiver, is there any reason why I can't leave the bind plug in each receiver so is easier to rebind when swopping and changing between cars?
Glad you like it - it is a nice piece of equipment with some seriously heavyweight tech behind it.

Yes - don't leave your bind plug in permanently.
It won't damage your Rx as such - but you'll probably find that each time you wiggle your steering that it will go back into bind mode (I think).

I normally keep my bind plug on my Tx aerial - you'll find that it is possible to tease it and push it down to the base of the aerial. That way, I've always got a bind plug where I need it
Old 04-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly Old Dog View Post
but you'll probably find that each time you wiggle your steering that it will go back into bind mode (I think).

Cheers mate, did think that there may be some adverse reaction to leaving it in there (and good tip for the bind plug )
Old 04-03-2011
Mad Member

Sorry to jump on this thread. Do you have to use the bind plug that comes with the receiver or can any be used cheers.
Old 04-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Mulcahy View Post
Sorry to jump on this thread. Do you have to use the bind plug that comes with the receiver or can any be used cheers.

Ne worries mate....will test it now as still got my other 2.4 ghz....will let you know in a mo..........
Old 04-03-2011

Well, good to know, as yes, my flysky binder just did the job fine
Old 04-03-2011
Mad Member

Cheers for that.