Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Xtreme - VEGA

Old 11-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Tamiya Vega set-up

Here is the set-up me and Alec Springer are running on the Tamiya Vega at EPR.

Front
Stagger ribs, normal ones with no insert, wheel cut down.
Shocks -3 piston, blue spring for alec, kit spring for me, 30 weight losi oil
2nd outer on tower, middle wishbone.
4 mill under out ball stud on steering turnbuckle. Inner side front hole on the drag link.
Camber turnbuckle, inner on hub, inner on tower with 2 mill under ball stud
hub in middle, spacer either side of the hub.

Rear
Yellow mini spikes with Mr O foams.
Shocks -4 piston, yellow spring for alec kit spring for me, 25 losi oil
middle on shock tower inner on wishbone
0.5 hubs on my car, 0 deg hubs for alec.
Long wheel base.
Link, outer on hub with 3 mill under ball stud.
we played around with the inner ball stud, i ended up on the upper 2nd inner hole.
3 deg toe in brace
1 mill shim under the front brace

I have a speed passion speedo, speed passion 6.5 motor on kit spur(79) and 23 tooth pinion.

The car was very good today. It was my fourth meeting with the car, but the first time with the car right, I had the servo saver waaaaaaay to loose and the car was doing very random things, locked that up and the car was sweet!!! I ran a used set of tyres in practice and put a new set of rears on for Q-1 and kept the same set on all day, I wanted to see how the car worked at the end of the day with worn tyres. There was a big drop off in performance in my final with shagged tyres. For big meetings I will make sure a good tyre is on at all times.

I also rebuilt the diff last week with Lazy balls from R/C lazy with NUCLEAR R/C grease and the diff is probably the best diff I have ever built!
And for those of you that know me this is an amazing fact hunt haha

Both Alec and Myself will continue to develop the setup all this year and we both will regularly update our set-up in this section.
Old 11-04-2011

Must say the car looked very good yesterday Dave.

Mike
Old 11-04-2011

Thanks for the set up but I have a few questions.

See red

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Church View Post
Here is the set-up me and Alec Springer are running on the Tamiya Vega at EPR.

Front
Stagger ribs, normal ones with no insert, wheel cut down.
Shocks -3 piston (1.3 x 2 piston?) , blue spring (tamiya spring?) for alec, kit spring for me, 30 weight losi oil
2nd outer on tower(starting from inside?), middle wishbone.
4 mill under out ball stud on steering turnbuckle. Inner side front hole on the drag link.
Camber turnbuckle, inner on hub, inner on tower with 2 mill under ball stud
hub in middle, spacer either side of the hub.

Rear
Yellow mini spikes with Mr O foams.
Shocks -4 piston (1.4 piston?) , yellow spring for alec kit spring (Color?)for me, 25 losi oil
middle on shock tower inner on wishbone
0.5 hubs on my car, 0 deg hubs for alec.
Long wheel base.
Link, outer on hub with 3 mill under ball stud.
we played around with the inner ball stud, i ended up on the upper 2nd inner hole (starting from inside?).
3 deg toe in brace (Flipped?)
1 mill shim under the front brace

Ride height?

I have a speed passion speedo, speed passion 6.5 motor on kit spur(79) and 23 tooth pinion.

The car was very good today. It was my fourth meeting with the car, but the first time with the car right, I had the servo saver waaaaaaay to loose and the car was doing very random things, locked that up and the car was sweet!!! I ran a used set of tyres in practice and put a new set of rears on for Q-1 and kept the same set on all day, I wanted to see how the car worked at the end of the day with worn tyres. There was a big drop off in performance in my final with shagged tyres. For big meetings I will make sure a good tyre is on at all times.

I also rebuilt the diff last week with Lazy balls from R/C lazy with NUCLEAR R/C grease and the diff is probably the best diff I have ever built!
And for those of you that know me this is an amazing fact hunt haha

Both Alec and Myself will continue to develop the setup all this year and we both will regularly update our set-up in this section.

LRP Flow, Orion R10, Orion VST2, Speed Passion, Speed Power, B-Fast, Much More CTX, LRP X 20,
Old 11-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Happy to share set-up info.

Answers.

1.3 pistons, well this is what the manual says, I run them as kit standard, Alec has drilled his with a 1.3 drill bit. Same for the 1.4 pistons, I use mine as kit standard and Alec drilled his with a 1.4 drill bit.
Yes Tamiya springs.
On the front shock tower say 1 to 4, 1 being closest to the middle and 4 being the furthest away from the middle we are on #3
Im either on red or yellow rear springs, I didnt build my car cause Im lazy and the colour has worn off the spring, but what ever was in the kit is on the car.
yes starting from the inside on the rear turnbuckle ball stud.
The toe in block is the right way up.
Ride height is wishbones level front and rear.
Old 12-04-2011

Cheers for the info.

Are you running the 92gr plate under the esc and 28gr under the servo?

Thanks

LRP Flow, Orion R10, Orion VST2, Speed Passion, Speed Power, B-Fast, Much More CTX, LRP X 20,
Old 12-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I only have 20 grams behind the servo, no other weight in my car, I'm not sure what Alec has on his, but I'm sure he will he will say when he see's this thread.
Old 12-04-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
I only have 20 grams behind the servo, no other weight in my car, I'm not sure what Alec has on his, but I'm sure he will he will say when he see's this thread.
Hi,

Got lots of weight in my car at the moment - mmm time to experiment.

Got the rudebits weight under the servo, ESC and lipo at present!
Old 12-04-2011

Talked about this with Kev Lee and he said that the car is more stable and planted with the weight in.
The weight distribution would also be much better.

Something to test maybe?

Old 12-04-2011
oOple Advertiser

Remember Kevin runs a 'Kyosho' Vega and in his car he runs 90g under the speedo more or less everywhere. He uses the under servo 28g and under Lipo weights where he sees fit as a tuning aid/balance of the car. - Hope this helps you guys.
Old 12-04-2011

As this is the same chassis and the weight distribution "should" be the same I was thinking the same weights are used or am I missing something?

What lipo's is Kev using and what lipo weight is he using on dry and wet medium high grip astro?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeTony View Post
Remember Kevin runs a 'Kyosho' Vega and in his car he runs 90g under the speedo more or less everywhere. He uses the under servo 28g and under Lipo weights where he sees fit as a tuning aid/balance of the car. - Hope this helps you guys.

Old 12-04-2011
Kev Lee oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustARcFan View Post
As this is the same chassis and the weight distribution "should" be the same I was thinking the same weights are used or am I missing something?

What lipo's is Kev using and what lipo weight is he using on dry and wet medium high grip astro?

Thanks!
Even though the chassis parts and layout are the same the weight distribution could be quite different between the cars, so its not easy to compare. The Vega Losi CR i ran breifly had a completely different distribution to the kyosho (by about 2%). I'd start with Dave and Alecs setups and go from there.

I have tested various weights and as Tony said i generally stick to 90g under the speedo only. As i mentioned in the RB5 setup thread, if it's wet/slippy i'd take that weight out. Its still early days though...

I'm using ORCA 5400 45C saddles... not sure on the weight though sorry

Kev
Old 12-04-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideLineRacing View Post
Even though the chassis parts and layout are the same the weight distribution could be quite different between the cars, so its not easy to compare. The Vega Losi CR i ran breifly had a completely different distribution to the kyosho (by about 2%). I'd start with Dave and Alecs setups and go from there.

I have tested various weights and as Tony said i generally stick to 90g under the speedo only. As i mentioned in the RB5 setup thread, if it's wet/slippy i'd take that weight out. Its still early days though...

I'm using ORCA 5400 45C saddles... not sure on the weight though sorry

Kev
Food for thought and a testing session required... Once I sort out the other issue
Old 12-04-2011

WHat cells are you running?

Thanks

Quote:

Old 12-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Muchmore Impact 5000 35c
Old 12-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

What spacers are you guys running on the rear shocks on the tower, on pictures it looks like the rear shocks are vertical, but having built mine even with no spacers they are leaned back at the the top, no badly though, probably at a similar angle to the anti squat?

Also, wheelbase, on the rear inner hingepin I only have 0.3mm play, very little and much less than Tamiya kit, are you guys finding the same (that wheelbase needs adjusting on the outers?)?

I am using Ali front and rear suspension blocks on the back by the way...
Old 12-04-2011

I've put a 2mm washer on the arm and it's perfect like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
What spacers are you guys running on the rear shocks on the tower, on pictures it looks like the rear shocks are vertical, but having built mine even with no spacers they are leaned back at the the top, no badly though, probably at a similar angle to the anti squat?

Also, wheelbase, on the rear inner hingepin I only have 0.3mm play, very little and much less than Tamiya kit, are you guys finding the same (that wheelbase needs adjusting on the outers?)?

I am using Ali front and rear suspension blocks on the back by the way...

Old 12-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
I've put a 2mm washer on the arm and it's perfect like this.
Hmmm, how come I can only fit a 0.3mm shim in there!?
Old 12-04-2011

Maybe we are talking about something else?

I've put a 2mm washer between the shock eye and the rear arm and I have no washers on the tower (I'm using the option alu bit)

Old 12-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Hmmm, thinking about it, this all links together...my driveshafts are angled forward, and my shocks too, it's like my rear wishbones are too far forward!??

A 2mm spacer on the inner hingepins in front of the rear wishbones would fix all this, except I can't fit one in as the space between my front/rear suspension mounts is too short! What could I have got wrong here?

What way up are you all running the rear mount, right way up or upside down? Your all running the wish ones wrong way round like in the pics yeah, swept forward so with the "R" wishbone on the left and vice versa??
Old 12-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Maybe we are talking about something else?

I've put a 2mm washer between the shock eye and the rear arm and I have no washers on the tower (I'm using the option alu bit)
Ahhh, now that makes sense, I misunderstood you!!