Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Ansmann Racing

Old 03-08-2010

Default Team C TC04 Build thread (Ansmann X4 Pro) (TQ Racing SX10-4)

Ok here we go!, I must thank Dennis from rcmart/dinball for going out his is way to get a car for me that he doesn't normally stock and tcmodels for setting some kind of EMS postage record getting the tyres and swaybars here in 3 days.

The Box very pretty

Inside the box, even better

Part bags

The chassis and the first part of the build

The only real problem so far was this alloy motor mount, one of the holes wasn't tapped all the way into the hole, which resulted in this. A second hole was also short but I managed to still seat the screw with some effort. Tomorrow I'll shorten a screw and then that will get a screw in the dodgy hole

So for now it's only held in with two screws, I don't have a 3mm tap so I might just buy the option mount.

Moving right along and forgetting the thread issue for now, the diffs were assembled, Sorry we missed a picture of them half going together but they are pretty standard a little tight spot on one of them but not too bad and it should smoothen out. Please note the front diff in this shot is back to front don't do this since I had to open the case and flip it around later .

Here's the rear diff, I could have used just two shims here, but 3 made it snug so I used 3, So I only used 1 in the front diff (only had one left) It seems ok with just one but perhaps could have fitted 2 in there. The rear definitely needed at least two (the instructions suggest one but you get 4 in the kit).

One of the diffs complete

The completed slipper, very nice bit of hardware, the spur had a bit of a wobble in it like usual so I've tightened the slipper right up to see it it ill get convinced to be a straighter in the morning

Since the slipper is so lovely you can see it twice

Here we have the slipper installed, still looking lovely

And one overhead shot
Old 03-08-2010

Default Team C TC04 Build thread (Ansmann X4 Pro) (TQ Racing SX10-4)

Lets take some time to sit back and see where we are up to now

Steering installed

Front upper brace and front shock tower mount installed

It was very late at night when we started the build so that's where we called it quits, we will finish the car and the thread tomorrow

Ok back now

Front shock tower installed

Rear tower installed

Overview of the car so far

Looking down the front of the car

Spur cover installed

One again the entire car

Side profile

Showing the crush tube spacer thing that goes between the bearings and the 10 degree hubs (the kit comes with both 10 and 13 degree hubs), I installed the first one I grabbed randomly for starters, which were the 10s

Front arm and hub installed

Underneath the front end

Close up of the front hex adapter and roll pin that presses into the axel

Front end wide shot

Close up of the roll pin before being knocked into the axle

Loosening a couple of screws to easily get the rear arms on
Old 03-08-2010

Overview so far

And from the back

Rear hub closeup showing how the pins are captured with a small screw, as you can see all plastics on the car have a very high carbon content and are very stiff

Almost completed car, minus shocks which I'll do tomorrow

The only optional part I have on it apart from using up my left over grade 12.9 hex head screws where possible, this rear sway bar (because I saw woody uses one)
Old 03-08-2010

The cars complete, I forgot to take pictures building the shocks but you all know how they go and that they are the most awesome part of the Team C cars so that's ok.

I'm going to get the 5.5Turn speed passion motor and a 120amp XErun ESC, wont be finished for a while but it should be pretty good . I would just make a suggestion to tcmodels that if the stickers had 2 of each so you have the same for the other side of the car, that would be better . The car's really good, I'm 100% sure it's going to be the fastest rc I've ever had
Old 03-08-2010

Aha, my kit was short a shim or 2 for the diffs as well. Did the slipper go together easy, did you have to flip the spur over?
Also were you able to tighten the 2 screws on the upper plate without binding the steering?
Very nice pics!
Old 03-08-2010

Thanks for the build thread, looks good and interesting !
Old 03-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by notme View Post
Aha, my kit was short a shim or 2 for the diffs as well. Did the slipper go together easy, did you have to flip the spur over?
Also were you able to tighten the 2 screws on the upper plate without binding the steering?
Very nice pics!
The slipper was much more complex than the 2wd buggies I'm use to for sure but it all went together fine once I figured out how all the millions of pins held it together and nope I didn't have to flip the spur around as far as I know, it seems to only go on one way? because there's a pin slot on one side. The steering screws aren't done up tight yet because all that section isn't quite complete yet so everything there is half a turn away from being seated, so I'll have to let you know tomorrow about that
Old 04-08-2010

I would be careful with the front diff according to your set up. We found in testing if you followed the directions and put a shim on each side of the diff, there was a much better chance of no issues. Yes you can put two on one side and one on the other for a tighter mesh, but the kits only come with 4 shims. Our part number is TR4057 for additional shims (not sure if everyone is using the same part numbers). The drive train is so free out of the box. I would recommend the extra shims, especially if you are going to run a hotter motor.

Facebook: Viper R/C Solutions
Twitter: ViperRCTeam

sponsored by: Viper R/C Solutions, J Concepts, ARC USA, X Factory, Xpert R/C US

Last edited by nikos2002; 04-08-2010 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Wrong part #
Old 04-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos2002 View Post
I would be careful with the front diff according to your set up. We found in testing if you followed the directions and put a shim on each side of the diff, there was a much better chance of no issues. Yes you can put two on one side and one on the other for a tighter mesh, but the kits only come with 4 shims. Our part number is TR4039 for additional shims (not sure if everyone is using the same part numbers). The drive train is so free out of the box. I would recommend the extra shims, especially if you are going to run a hotter motor.
Hi Nikos It's sitting on my table so I went and double checked the instructions, part TR4039 is the diff rings. Nicefrog was referring to part 86000 to take play out of the rear gear mesh.

Old 04-08-2010

Thanks positronic- never try and read spreadsheets on your iPhone in a car!!

The shims I was describing go on the diffs themselves and place the gear mesh tight by moving the diff gear (39T) closer to the ring diff gear (16T). I can see were adding shims behind the ring gear will move it, I have never tried that. I know adding shims on diff to adjust mesh has been done ever since the original Predator shaft drives.

Facebook: Viper R/C Solutions
Twitter: ViperRCTeam

sponsored by: Viper R/C Solutions, J Concepts, ARC USA, X Factory, Xpert R/C US
Old 04-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos2002 View Post
Thanks positronic- never try and read spreadsheets on your iPhone in a car!!

The shims I was describing go on the diffs themselves and place the gear mesh tight by moving the diff gear (39T) closer to the ring diff gear (16T). I can see were adding shims behind the ring gear will move it, I have never tried that. I know adding shims on diff to adjust mesh has been done ever since the original Predator shaft drives.
We didn't even think of doing that way, same end result I guess (hope)
Old 04-08-2010

I also added the 3 shims like you did for the rear. Not just to adjust the gear mesh but there was too much play. I'll be trying the car on the track tonight. will see how it goes.
Old 04-08-2010

The cars finished now apart from the shocks, I have pictures of everything but no time to update the thread until tomorrow night. I checked the mesh of the crown and pinions in the diffs and they look fine to me, I setup the mesh in the diff in my actual full size car so I think these will be ok :0. The front one could have used 2 shims to be snug, but it's going to be fine for now with one. I can see where nikos is comming from with moving the crown gear across but I think with this car it's not the right way to go about it (or at least defiantly not needed)
Old 04-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by notme View Post
Very nice pics!
I'm not able to do up those screws all the way without it binding, I'd be happier if I could so I'm going to see if I can fix that. I like the car a lot though, all around it feels to be made stronger than the 2wd, the carbon plastics make a HPI kind of TING :0 very hard
Old 04-08-2010

When I get a chance I will look for a fix for that (binding). Im sure theres a way to shim it or whatever it needs. Also my rear rims rubbed on the hub carrier, I used a washer between the hex and the rim. Ive not tried dish rims yet, it may not rub.
Old 04-08-2010

I was going to mention I had a problem with one of the rear rims rubbing on the hub!. I thought it was a much more sinister problem in the first moment . Actually one of my rims cleared ok, so I swapped them around and now its OK, *just*. I actually didn't glue the tyres on because I'm never happy with the Team C wheels, they are a bit soft and I hardly ever get a straight one. If tcmodels reads this I think we would all like to see the wheels made a bit stiffer and rounder, bent rims anoy me more than anything else. So if they could be made a bit better if that's possible it would be great (and fluro yellow/green ). Or better yet made from un-dyed nylon and let us go at all the colours of the rainbow ourselves .

Anyway I didn't glue them on yet because I will probably get some other wheels before I run it. But other that the couple of issues I've mentioned in the thread now, I'm more than happy with everything else on the car. I'll show more more pictures tomorrow about all the cool little bits on the car. The hex's with the roll pins and he little screws that capture the pins on the arms, all that stuff I liked. I also have a sway bar on the rear of the car. (I think I'll order another sway bar kit for the front just in case). It takes quite a bit of time to build, muuuuuch longer than the 2wd's did but I think that adds to the value of it
Old 05-08-2010

Threads updated, one more update tomorrow and it will be complete
Old 05-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicefrog View Post
Threads updated, one more update tomorrow and it will be complete
so your painting it tomorrow
Old 05-08-2010

Who knows what can happen tomorrow, I just hope this thread gets to the second page soon because it's a bit long to load the first page each time
Old 07-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicefrog View Post
Who knows what can happen tomorrow, I just hope this thread gets to the second page soon because it's a bit long to load the first page each time
looks like nothing happened

I put the DF03 next to it today, they are the same wheelbase