Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 16-04-2013

Default Bloomfield Kidderminster Set Ups

Here is a link through to a report from Darren on his weekend at the national. Also in there is his set ups for both Wet and Dry conditions for his 22.

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/autoon...cles_pg30.html
Old 16-04-2013

Location: Nottingham till I retire, then Caribbean or Palawan.

The links seem to be broken right now. Getting a 404 for both setups.
Old 16-04-2013

Should be fixed now
Old 16-04-2013

I see a few things on darren's setups that don't make sence to me. Maybe someone can clear it up for me.

On the setup sheet it says that the track is rough and darren is using a black front and a red rear spring. Wouldn't that unsetle the car on the rough track?

A lot of the team guys are using 1.6 pistons lately while darren uses the standard ones. Does anyone know why?

On the dry setup darren uses no shims under the inner camberlink mounts,on most setups you see 2.5 mm on the front and 1 or 2 mm on the back. Does anyone know why?

Why does he uses the LRC blocks instead of the HRC ones?

Grtzz
Old 17-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigooloo View Post
I see a few things on darren's setups that don't make sence to me. Maybe someone can clear it up for me.

On the setup sheet it says that the track is rough and darren is using a black front and a red rear spring. Wouldn't that unsetle the car on the rough track?

A lot of the team guys are using 1.6 pistons lately while darren uses the standard ones. Does anyone know why?

On the dry setup darren uses no shims under the inner camberlink mounts,on most setups you see 2.5 mm on the front and 1 or 2 mm on the back. Does anyone know why?

Grtzz
Hey there

I cannot explain the what for and whys as to what he did on the day but I can clear up a couple of the points for you.

Firstly the UK team have been running 4 hole standard pistons for a while now, Im not sure which ones have been running 1.6 pistons? I know some of the guys in the states have been using 2 hole 1.6 pistons if thats what you mean?

As for why LRC over HRC. I think this is a driving style thing, the LRC grips harder initially and breaks away quicker which I believe suits Darren's driving style. The HRC block gives less overall grip (for the same toe obviously) but is more consistent throughout the turn.

Hope this helps.
Old 17-04-2013
Banned

Quote:

Grtzz
All can be explained as "Personal Preference," and the willingness to adapt his set-up to the current track conditions.

This is also where people need to come up with their own set-ups, instead of being so reliant on others'. If you don't try different things, so as to come up with what works for you, then you don't understand how certain changes affect the car.
Old 17-04-2013

@ Delves

Yes i mean that the US team is running it, i saw it also on a setup sheet for the EOS on carpet and i asumed that it was the new standard for every surface. I didn't know that the uk team where using the standard 4 hole's for a while.

@ Robby

That is exactly the reason why i like to know the reasons for certain setup changes. Since i don't have unlimited time to test every possible thing,i will only test the things that i see on setup sheets form top drivers.
Most of the time i do feel the setup changes, but sometimes they are so subtle that i can't discribe what exactly changed.
At this point it's very usefull to know the reasons for certain setup changes.

Grtzz
Old 17-04-2013

I thought the LRC change could be down to the track being bumpy? If you check DB's setups for indoors he runs HRC blocks on smooth tracks so it's not totally down to driving style as he uses both. I'm sure I'd read somewhere the LRC is better on rougher tracks but I have been wrong before?
Old 18-04-2013
Banned

Quote:
@ Robby

That is exactly the reason why i like to know the reasons for certain setup changes. Since i don't have unlimited time to test every possible thing,i will only test the things that i see on setup sheets form top drivers.
Most of the time i do feel the setup changes, but sometimes they are so subtle that i can't discribe what exactly changed.
At this point it's very usefull to know the reasons for certain setup changes.
And that's why you shouldn't be chasing random set-ups. You should find something that works for you, and then make minor changes (if any) based on what you're looking for your car to do. Since you have limited track time, you don't have the time to wrench on it not knowing where you're going with it.
There are tons of generalized set-up guides out there, even losi did one for the xxx-cr, and they all follow the same basic premises of explaining what does what (find one, print it out, read it, learn it, stick it in your pitbox).
I think that you'll find that chasing what the pros do, especially when they're running on carpet and you're not, is going to not only be terribly problematic but leave you chasing your tail and going slower because you don't have the skills to drive a car set up for someone more talented.
Old 18-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulj View Post
I thought the LRC change could be down to the track being bumpy? If you check DB's setups for indoors he runs HRC blocks on smooth tracks so it's not totally down to driving style as he uses both. I'm sure I'd read somewhere the LRC is better on rougher tracks but I have been wrong before?
I know Darren has been running LRC more recently indoors at Maritime. He tested the HRC vs LRC one Tuesday night before the 2 day event down there and preferred the LRC.
Old 18-04-2013

@ Robby

A while ago someone posted the following setup http://www.oople.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1366308630

It worked quite good for me, but i liked some more steering so i used a green front spring and 4x55 piston in the rear. I still drive with this base setup but sometimes with a pink rear/ bleu front spring, and sometimes i play with the rear camber links for more or less rotation/steering.

The car works fine as it is, i am just trying to learn more about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TLR22_DBStarting Setup2012.jpg (365.3 KB, 32 views)