Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 13-10-2013

Default Differing gauge of wiring

Hi all,

I'm in the process of tidying and re-doing the wiring in my Losi. On the advice of other threads I am going for 12AWG for the ESC to motor connections, and 14AWG for the ESC to battery connections - this hopefully should be more than sufficient.

My question is relating to my batteries, and the connection convertors that I am using. I use EC3 connectors from the ESC to the battery, and have 1 lipo that has 10AWG into a Deans connector, attached to which is a Deans to EC3 convertor using 14AWG wiring. A second lipo has 12AWG wiring to an EC3 connector, and a 3rd lipo has 12AWG wiring to an EC5 connector, to which is attached an EC5 to EC3 convertor (no wires in between the converters, just EC5 to EC3). Confused? I sure as hell am!!!

Will the set up above be safe to run? I have a Tekin RS Pro speedo (155amp), and run 10.5 and 6.5 turn motors.

Thanks.

Steve
Old 13-10-2013

last thing you want is connectors into connectors. Every connection has a resistance and is a potential failure point.

Pick one and change everything to that by soldering new plugs and sockets on.

EC5 is the highest rating you have they are 5mm connectors I believe, after that is EC3 3.5mm connectors. Deans are the worse, only rated @ 40A and thats the real mccoy not the cheap knock offs, ok for charge connectors but not in the car.

EC5 rated 120A cont
EC3 rated 60A cont

most hard case lipo are 4mm bullet which is good for about 80A
Old 13-10-2013

I'd put the thicker wires from the ESC to the battery, they're the ones that take all the current all the time.

I run 12AWG ESC to battery and also 12AWG ESC to motor (which is overkill but my ESC can take it and you do get smaller losses due to the larger cable).