Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 26-06-2012

Default Wanted, Help & advice for taking better pics

Hi, Im new to this section, i've just purchased a Nilon D3100 and attempted to take a few pics on sunday just gone. I was using the camera in auto mode and burst shooting , When I got home I uploaded the pics and I was a bit dissappointed with the results. I had quick search on this forum and found the link to Jimmy's help section , and realised where I went wrong, (use manual mode) The only item i could'nt find out about was the ISO setting! im guessing that this would have to be quite high?.
The lens I was using is Nikon 55-200 that came in the kit.
Here's link to the best pics.
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...d=1#post668826
Any help would be appreicated or links to some photography web sites if thats permitted.
Tony
Old 26-06-2012

look not bad mate. i have as yet not photographed rc but i regularly take pics off ice hockey which is just as fast paced.
manual is the best way forward to get the higher shutter speeds. With the rc im guessing you can kind of plan on where cars will be coming through. try manually focusing at this point then firing them off as the cars pass through. if its jumps your looking for try setting up before the race and getting a friendly marshal to stand in the area where the cars will be in the air giving you something to set your focus on before the race starts.
just my thoughts im far from a pro at this but its things i would try.

looking forward to seeing more photos soon
Old 27-06-2012
Mad Member

As you increase iso you will get a drop in quality, you will have to decide where it matters in your pictures, newer (and top of range) cameras are better at this, I would expect 800 to be unnoticeable, 1600 just starting to see changes and so on. You have to play, it will help.

Perhaps you can adjust the colour to be a bit more vibrant, if you can get titchfield to look like california if you like . It will get better/easier on sunny days, indoors is almost impossible.
Old 27-06-2012
Mad Member

Depending on how into this you want to get / how into photography you want to get having a faster lens will help. This is a lens with a bigger aperture or if you've got the cash a lens with a constant aperture.

If you look at your lens you'll see it has f4-f5.6 on it, that means when it's pulled right into the camera if will be f4 letting a fair amount of light in but when you've got it zoomed out toward it's maximum it reduces the light so the max aperture you will be able to achieve is f5.6 which on a dull day is hardly ideal.

They cost a lot more but if you're serious about photography if you can get a lens that has a bigger aperture, say f2.8 you'll see an instant difference. If you can spend a little more and get one which only has one 'f' number on it you'll get even better shots as this means where ever you are in the zoom range the f stop which controls your depth of field will remain the same. f2.8 will let a lot of light in.

Jimmy's guide is very good but until you get used to the camera it might be better for you to stay on Auto and just concentrate on your panning. It doesn't look like you've done too bad though. It is a lot about practice and keeping doing it.

Post up if you want anything I've said clarified.

My paintwork thread
Old 28-06-2012

Thanks for help, Im just going to have to practise.
Old 28-06-2012
Mad Member

That will really make all the difference. I saw Mr Magoo post about helping you when he sees you up TORCH, if I'm up there at any point again I'll make myself known to you and see if I can offer any help.

Constantly using the camera just to make yourself more familiar with it will help, it doesn't matter what you shoot, you'll learn from every shot and also become more used to the camera so you're not nervous with it or what any of it does.

The 3100 is a fantastic starter kit as it has that guide mode so it tells you what each setting does, play about with that and see for yourself how you can alter your photo's and depth of field. Get on line and look for stuff too, so many people offering help ( not always good ) worthing looking about. And if you see a photo you like on a forum look at the settings so you know what shutter speed and F stop they set the camera at to achieve it.

However, after all that nothing beats just getting out there and using the camera. Good luck and enjoy it, photography is a very rewarding hobby !

My paintwork thread
Old 28-06-2012

Thanks again, I will not be at TORCH for a few weeks now as work and nitro racing are on the cards but i'll look out for you.
Tony.