Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 21-02-2008

Send a message via MSN to GAZ
Default Front oneway or centre oneway

Front oneway or centre oneway what are the differances in performance.
Old 21-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

A one way diff will always have 100% drive on both front wheels helping you to pull well out of the corners. It will have more turn in than a diff but you will only have rear wheel braking. On any given track a one way diff will normally be quicker but can be harder to drive.
A centre one way will always give most drive to the wheel with the least traction, but you can adjust the amount of brakes on most by locking the one way to give you some front brakes. I don't ever run one so other ppl will be able to explain them better.
Old 21-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Seems a fair enough assesment to me ....

Some people prefer one over the other .... for example I prefer the centre one-way over the diff as I feel it's smoother and thus I can be more consistent.

A lot of people like the "drive from the front" feeling of the one way and a lot will claim it is quicker over a lap than any other option ..... you do have to hang on to it though!

Best thing to do is the same advice as when choosing the car in the first place ..... drive the options and see what suits YOU best.
Old 22-02-2008
Super Moderator

It really depends on the car.

I haven't even felt a need to try the 1 way diff in the HB D4 yet, the car has awesome steering. I have the centre 1 way, and at times have even locked that for no 1 way at all! Still loads of steering

But from experience in the pred you win and loose on different areas of track. I had a prototype 1 way diff in at Ozfest couple of years ago when they had that silly woodern jump in front of the rostrum, it felt soooooo fast but I couldn't keep it in front driveshafts I had to change to the std diff (with prop 1 way), the car felt slower but the lap times were identical. I could feel the car wasn't as good in a couple of hairpins, but it must have been better somewhere else.

G
Old 22-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Diff/Diff/fixed - 4 wheel braking - not as sharp on turn in - does not hold onto the corners as well when on power - very safe

Diff/Diff/centre-one-way - only rear wheels brake - fronts are still connected by a diff so it has more turn in than a fixed 4WD, but less than a one-way - same as diff/diff/fixed on power - safe but with the ability to move the rear end around under braking

Diff/one-way - only rear wheels brake - fronts have independant rolling so you get the most amount of turn in of all the setups - on-power its is a fixed front axel so it drags the car around the corner by the front, lots of on-power steering - not safe to drive, on very bumpy tracks it can make the car 'snatch' from side to side as there is no diff action so cusion the effect of getting a wheel in the air.

the fastest one is the one that gives you the best 5 minute run.
Old 22-02-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Chris,

that is probably the best answer to that question I have ever read!!!!

If oople had a FAQ section I'd say that reply would need to go in there!!!!!!
Old 25-03-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Well I prefer the layshaft one way, the one way on the tamiya 501x front diff doesnt suit me, mainly due to it not being a diff at the front but it does work for a lot of other racers.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS