Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 28-05-2015

Default How to help new people starting out in the hobby

Hi all,

I get a few questions a month via the club website about taking up the hobby with little or no knowledge. When I lay out the details of what the club does and more importantly what the cars are like they often waiver at the start up cost.

Now I appreciate that people don't want to necessarily dive straight in at the deep end with top flight race buggies, expensive speed controllers, radio gear that is peerless etc etc. So I therefore have wondered about the idea of an introductory class - something with a low cost buggy, basic handset, etc but the main focus being low cost to start.

Then if they want to progress they can go into the full flight as it were once hooked rather than stumping up £500+ to just get going for something they may not like after a few sessions.

I appreciate there is eBay for re-sale but I was hoping I could get some ideas for a set up which is:

Low cost
Reliable
Strong as they likely will crash into everything
Still give them enough of a flavour of racing to get them hooked

What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Every Thursday evening from 6:30pm and alternate Sundays.

Check out http://shrccc.co.uk
Follow us on:

Facebook - Surrey and Hants Radio Control Car Club
Twitter - @surreyhantsrc
Old 28-05-2015

FTX Vantage RTR for £99 brushed or £185 brushless. Easy to drive, good support, robust and competitive enough to learn to drive.
Old 28-05-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting42 View Post
FTX Vantage RTR for £99 brushed or £185 brushless. Easy to drive, good support, robust and competitive enough to learn to drive.
Good idea, but how about FTX Edge? As per above, but 2wd so easier to work on?

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 28-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlandchris View Post
Good idea, but how about FTX Edge? As per above, but 2wd so easier to work on?
Forgot that one ;-) Also I was thinking was that a 4WD is easier to drive and even a beginner can have a laugh ragging it around. I know that my son much preferred 4WD until he got better.
Old 28-05-2015

Back in the day, we used to have a 380 class, mainly Hornets, or Frogs with a 380 motor.. It was ideal for new people and youngsters, fairly robust cars, cheap, standard, slower than 540. It produced some of the best, and closest racing. Even very experienced drivers joined in. It was only spoiled when somebody found a quick 380 motor ( helicopter wind I think) which was almost as fast as the 540.. end of class..!
So, it is probably more about the motor than car.. The stock, brushed, 540, class run at some clubs could be the answer, but maybe restricted to 27 turn.
Old 29-05-2015

Default clubs

clubs and the brca need to be involved more stock classes say set motor limits or club days that are specifically designed to get new members into the sport a specific class for new members to run over the winter or summer series of races. I just returning after 20 years out of sport and I finding that there is very few clubs or even the brca that are involved in getting people back or new people interested few clubs run a starter series that has limits to help the new or returning people
york run a 540 sealed can series for 2wd and 17.5t blinky class for 4wd and reading many club websites no other club has this type of series the 540 sealed can is cheap and fun for returning and new members.

so from my point of view clubs and the brca need to be involved more at promoting the sport to encourage new members
we all have to remember not everyone can afford to spend hundreds of pounds on a top car top electronics and be able to jump straight into top racing and not have some one who has raced for a long while shouting at them because they are in race that in reality they shouldnt be in because they have no options to race in a learner class due to

A) clubs not promoting standard/stock class racing
B) no brca sanctioned standard/stock class racing

there are ways to encourage new members but clubs, brca and the members of the clubs need to be more involved to promote the sport by organising club days brca sanctioned events in standard/stock events to get new members into the sport.

on the club front maybe reduce the entrance fees for new people for a week or two or on that type of series for say the first x amount of races those new people race in

on the brca front maybe a series aimed at new racers