Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-06-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Default TRF201 Build Thread....

Right, after lots of waiting, anticipation, swearing at Customs and Excise... it finally arrived in ParcelForce depot, and I couldn't wait any longer, and drove to collect it a day early!!.... It came in a nice little box, with a carry handle, some bumff inside, including a flyer with a pic of Lee Martin's car. I also ordered some parts at the same time, front end bits and the Imperial front stub axles (54220). So, after a day of doing other things, on with the build.

GEARBOX

Gearbox comes in the hard graphite plastic, and it is also like the new gearbox on the Kyosho, and the motor is centralised, rather than off set to the left.

The diff now uses an alloy diff nut, but Tamiya have been clever, and the diff screw comes with threadlock on it.

The diff is a normal diff (no fancy Schumacher tricks inside), but only comes with standard diff balls and not Carbide ones.....

But once assembled, is very smooth in operation

The gearbox cases are pretty substantial, with lots of internal ribbing to control any flex that may go on, as the gearbox is an internal structure of the rear end, to control flex...

And everything fits in very tidy, the only thing I could mention, the topshaft could do with a lot more shimming, as there is plenty of endlfot (about 1.5mm). Also, the layshaft gear is held on by a pin and o-ring, not being the trusting sort, I fitted the pin with loctite too...

Once together though, the gearbox runs smooth, no tight spots at all, and it a neat little unit, as capable as anything from AE, Losi and Kyosho.

Next step.... Rear End