Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > JConcepts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Unhappy BJ4WE and total lack of balance

Right then, before I make a choice between the for sale section or encasing the car in a block of concrete I want to make sure I am not missing a trick!!!

The BJ4WE seems to be a total piglet .... absolutely without balance in any way shape or form!!! The only place I have got it anywhere close to how I want it has been indoors on carpet and then it was passable at best!!!

The problem is a lack of balance, if you have front end grip you don't have rear and vice versa.

At kiddy I just couldn't get the nose into the corners without having the rear set so that you couldn't carry any throttle through the corners let alone adjust trottle mid corner.

At Coventry today I had absolutely no traction or sidebite at all and trying to set the car soft to help traction and sidebite it became really random (rolling about too much). I then stiffened the car back up and although it was much easier to drive it was a full second a lap SLOWER than when it was soft. Ok, it was consistently slow and much easier to drive but at least 1 second a lap slower than before (The top of the A went quicker than they had done all day so th track hadn't given out).

I've tried Richard Lowe's set-ups and working around those but they have FAR too much high speed understeer for my tastes.

I am convinced it is a combination of the rear inner link position not being outboard enough of the lower hinge pin and the fact the weight is too far back. Both of these will lead to the collapsing of the rear end.

My question is what have people done to deal with this this .... other than the S4 conversion obviously??

I have a couple more runs this year with the car and want to make sure I use them wisely. I don't mind rubbish placings due to constantly changing the car during the winter, all part of learning your way round a new car. The only problem is that I am going to have to do this with the 2wd too so have to move onto that in the new year.

If anybody can help I'd be greatful, if not I'm going to have to chance chassis.