Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 03-07-2011

Default Tamiya 502x front bulk head help!

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has managed to find a way to stop the front bulk head/ gear box housing from braking. They seem really weak and cost a fortune every time, I am almost at the point of getting rid of the car, even though I really like it!

Thanks Chris
Old 03-07-2011

I have started building a 502x and noticed that it was hard to install the forward top deck, and when it was installed, there was a noticeable tweak.

I'm not saying this will help reduce your front gearbox breakages, as I do not know exactly where they break, however it would not hurt as currently the top deck is putting too much stress in the g/box housing in my opinion. Also with the top deck jammed against the g/box housing, it is creating a too rigid front end and if the housing has no 'give' in it, it will just break. Where as if they were separated by just a little distance, the g/box housing would have just a little more flex and possibly reduce breakages. Anyway just my thoughts anyway, I'm liking the build so far, it looks really bling

As I was building this car, it reminded me so much of the hot bodies d4 design, and both cars seem to have weak front g/box cases.
Old 04-07-2011

Speedtech RC stocks the bulkhead if you want to compare pricing. How are you breaking this part?

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...d=972&id=10531
Old 05-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcongo View Post
are you freaking kidding me ....... $39 for some plastic ?
Old 05-07-2011

Maybe they make the plastic by melting down old Avantes
I have yet to break this part on mine...........fingers crossed.
Old 05-07-2011

Hi,

Chris here agin the Bulk heads always shear at the bottom set of screws to hold the shock tower on. Yeah that is the flaming problem £40 (by the time you get them into the uk) every time so person leaves there car in the middle of the track! Any big front impact brakes them!

I am almost at the point of getting rid of the car! It is just silly I have broken 3 of these! But haven't broken anything else, I would consider myself to be dquite a good driver, good knows if you are a beginner it would cost you a fortune!

Would someone please make aluminum ones! Or would Tamiya please just sell that front bulk head on its own! Rather then all the gearbox bits costing a fortune!

Chris
Old 05-07-2011
Mad Member

When i first built my 502 i could see that the front gearbox tops were weak so i did a little mod (as per pic below)

I cut a small piece of hard brass, cut and bent it to shape and fitted 2 longer screws through the shock tower and threaded into the brass. This worked as a strengthener and supported the 2 lugs in which the shock tower bolts to.

Ive run the car now over 50 times both indoors and out and ive yet to break it, and it has taken a real beating.

If anybody is interested i can supply a few more of these for around £8 each. P.M me if interested and ill get a batch made up near the end of the week.

Old 05-07-2011

Thank god for that, brillaint design! My dad has just ordered 2 from you one for me and one for him! Well done I hope it works!

Chris
Old 05-07-2011

Great thinking,

Are the top nuts missing on purpose? Does that allow some flex or something?

I got into RC Buggys back in the days when cars still had front bumpers (turbo Optima). Looking back, that bumper was not such a bad idea. It's not like it weighed a whole lot.

Sell lots of your brass mods before someone makes them in blue.....
Old 05-07-2011
Mad Member

No, the top nuts arent missing, instead i tapped thread into the brass itself, but as it threads into the bulkhead anyway, it doesn't really require a very strong fixing onto the brass.

Also, the nuts are only protruding as i couldn't be bothered to unwind them off just to trim them down. lol