Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 10-01-2009

Thanks guys. Guess dremelling that iron is the way forward

Will leave the bullets out of it for now as agree they look messy. Maybe change my mind if I ever get another motor.

p.s. flat black paint s going to look shiney if painted inside a shell surely? Thats why I was thinking I'd have to matt up the outside?
Old 10-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassp0nk View Post
Thanks guys. Guess dremelling that iron is the way forward

Will leave the bullets out of it for now as agree they look messy. Maybe change my mind if I ever get another motor.

p.s. flat black paint s going to look shiney if painted inside a shell surely? Thats why I was thinking I'd have to matt up the outside?
You can try it with the pointy tip, but id go for the flat tip. Dremel, or what ever you need to do. Makes soldering SOOO much easier IMO..

Nope, mine looked like flat black. Just painted it in, no sanding or any of that. I wish I had pics.

Schumacher/Speed Passion/Black Army Racing/Owen RaCing Anodizing/NNFaN Paints/Scooter Motorworks
Old 10-01-2009

Can definitely recommend getting down to Eden Park - but don't wait until the summer!
The journey cross town might not be great but there's likely to be not much traffic at 7am on a sunday morning and you'll be grinning too much to care on the way back home
1st Feb is the next meeting in their winter series - there was a good turn out at the last meeting considering it was -4.5 deg C when I got to the track.

Will be running my CAT there next time so we'll be able to scratch our heads together if you're struggling for a set up - plus there's normally at least one team driver there so there's always someone else's brains to pick as well.

Hope to see you there - you too Glypo (don't wait until it warms up!!)

p.s. your kit looks awesome. Glad to see you've gone for a proper car racer's Radio - none of this aero modelling stick radio malarky
Old 10-01-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly Old Dog View Post
Will be running my CAT there next time so we'll be able to scratch our heads together if you're struggling for a set up - plus there's normally at least one team driver there so there's always someone else's brains to pick as well.
If your struggling, print the setup out that I have posted in the setups thread, its excellent.
Old 10-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
If your struggling, print the setup out that I have posted in the setups thread, its excellent.
Does it require any option parts?
Old 10-01-2009

Quote:
TBH, the car seems good out of the box but investing in some optional springs would be wise. At the moment, it seems that Red and possibly Grey fronts are useful plus red rears for the Lipo car. Some additional shock pistons will enable you to fine tune at little extra cost and the optional narrow upper link plates (with longer front turnbuckles) are good for when you need to lose some grip.

Take a look at the RACER mag review this month (sorry for the shameless plug). We ran at EPR with the car out of the box (with no additional weights) but with the above link plates and springs. It's a good starting base as it seemed fairly viceless and confidence inspiring - especially with the narrow link plates.

You'll find more up to date set up info either on the schumacher website or on this forum than the set up that the instructions define.

You can bling it even further with the alloy transmission uppers but they're not strictly necessary to begin with.

Come over to EPR on the 1st and have a play...
Old 10-01-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
For my setup: Essential
Narrow rear camber link plate - 39mm
Longer rear turnbuckles (I used 60mm to reach outer most hole on hub)
One way front diff
1 pair of 2 hole pistons
Ney grey front springs & new red rear springs

Not essential, and I am using:
Alloy shock mounts
One way roller layshaft
Old 10-01-2009

Front 1 way diff means no front brakes right? How can that be good? (I'm approaching this from a real car perspective so it makes no sense!)
Old 10-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly Old Dog View Post
TBH, the car seems good out of the box but investing in some optional springs would be wise. At the moment, it seems that Red and possibly Grey fronts are useful plus red rears for the Lipo car. Some additional shock pistons will enable you to fine tune at little extra cost and the optional narrow upper link plates (with longer front turnbuckles) are good for when you need to lose some grip.

Take a look at the RACER mag review this month (sorry for the shameless plug). We ran at EPR with the car out of the box (with no additional weights) but with the above link plates and springs. It's a good starting base as it seemed fairly viceless and confidence inspiring - especially with the narrow link plates.

You'll find more up to date set up info either on the schumacher website or on this forum than the set up that the instructions define.

You can bling it even further with the alloy transmission uppers but they're not strictly necessary to begin with.

Come over to EPR on the 1st and have a play...
Thanks for all the info. Is that mag in Smiths etc?
Old 10-01-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via ICQ to lochness42 Send a message via MSN to lochness42 Send a message via Skype™ to lochness42

Maybe another stupid Schumacher/Losi question from me, but do Losi springs fit Schumacher shocks?
Old 11-01-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Front 1 way diff means no front brakes right? How can that be good? (I'm approaching this from a real car perspective so it makes no sense!)
When you brake an RC car, which in scale is VERY light in relation to full size (i.e. 15-17 kilos!!!!!), if front wheels brake then the car will tend to understeer when braking quite severely. The same physics do not fully apply but I can see the logic.

With a roller layshaft, then only the rear locks up, but being so light it isn't like handbraking a real car - it just makes the rear stepout enough to get into the corner and on the power. We have more rear toe in on an RC car than a real car, otherwise its likely the RC car would spin out though.

With a one way diff, same as above, but getting on the power the car will have more aggressive steering as it will not "diff out" from the front and instead pull hard from the front. Much like a rally car/auto-test real car having a welded up diff and only using handbrake - but with less severe effect.

Hard to explain, but do try the setup.
Old 11-01-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochness42 View Post
Maybe another stupid Schumacher/Losi question from me, but do Losi springs fit Schumacher shocks?
Yes

To use AE silver rear springs, you will need AE spring retainers as the spring is too long, and without these you won't get your ride height low enough.
Old 11-01-2009

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. Is that mag in Smiths etc?
Yes,
It's the current issue so you shouldn't have any problems in getting hold of one.
Instantly recognisable - it has the CAT on the cover

Cheers
Old 11-01-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislong View Post
When you brake an RC car, which in scale is VERY light in relation to full size (i.e. 15-17 kilos!!!!!), if front wheels brake then the car will tend to understeer when braking quite severely. The same physics do not fully apply but I can see the logic.

With a roller layshaft, then only the rear locks up, but being so light it isn't like handbraking a real car - it just makes the rear stepout enough to get into the corner and on the power. We have more rear toe in on an RC car than a real car, otherwise its likely the RC car would spin out though.

With a one way diff, same as above, but getting on the power the car will have more aggressive steering as it will not "diff out" from the front and instead pull hard from the front. Much like a rally car/auto-test real car having a welded up diff and only using handbrake - but with less severe effect.

Hard to explain, but do try the setup.
Thanks. Beginning to get the picture, but couple more questions to clarify if I may?

When you say diff out, you mean spinning up the inside wheel?

Do RC cars never have LSDs?

What's the behaviour of a 1-way diff? Locked under power and disconnected from drive on the overrun?

When RC cars brake, are the braking wheels pretty much always locked?

Seems like the physics is more rally car than race car!
Old 11-01-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yeh, diff out - that means to spin up the inside wheel through a turn rather than drive forward.

LSD, nah, we can't concentrate on the cars if we take that shit. But seriously the diffs are a slight form of LSD, if one is tightened then the diffing out is less, but it becomes more like a fixed axle. A true LSD has been thought about but in the sizes we use one can't be made with ease, or with reliability.

A 1 way diff - basically the outdrives on each side are independent of each other mounted on a one way bearing. So when the diff gear is stopped or slower than the car is travelling, the outdrives can roll forward. But when the diff gear turns the outdrives turn at the same speed and no slower. This means when you turn and break, rear can step out, then re apply the power and the car pulls hard from the front. Through a turn the car will be pulled by the inside front wheel whereas with a stock-diff this wheel would diff out.

Also, if one wheel leaves the ground, there is still drive from the other.

I suppose it is more rally car than race car, but for a lot of things it is trial and error to proove it works.
Old 11-01-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

[quote=Cassp0nk;194728]

Glad to see you comeback to the sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eden Park is a great track!!!!!!! Winter series runs the first Sunday of the month during winter months.
Please come in Feb!!!! You will be made to feel very welcome and many will help with setup and any questions you may have!!!!
Old 11-01-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Guys, can you fit normal servo's in the cat lipo or only low profile ones?
Old 11-01-2009

Normal fit in a treat all the spacers are in the box
Old 12-01-2009

[quote=David Church;195480]
Quote:

Glad to see you comeback to the sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eden Park is a great track!!!!!!! Winter series runs the first Sunday of the month during winter months.
Please come in Feb!!!! You will be made to feel very welcome and many will help with setup and any questions you may have!!!!
Thats great. Think it may be a month or two before I'm going near any races though