Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > oOple Talk

Old 18-04-2009
SHRCCC Legend

Default Back in the fold after 15 years!!! - Help needed

Hi All,

I used to race between 1988 and 1994 around the South East, mainly at Ash, Aldershot linked to Surrey and Hants model in Frimley.

I am thinking off getting back into it but I need a heads up on the type of machinery now involved?.

Cells?
Motors?
Cars 2wd/4wd?
ESC?
Controller?.

Have things moved on since Kyosho ZX-R stage?. Used the use 1800 cells with carbon stuff and temp charger.....

Regards

Neil
Old 18-04-2009
Mad Member

Things have moved on quite a long way now mate, most people use lipo battery packs, with lipo specific chargers. 2wd cars used at the moment are mostly the team associated b4, x factory x6 (mid motored version of the b4) Kyosho rb5, losi xxx cr. You can pick the b4 or losi up for around about £50-£100 2nd hand, the x6 is a bit more expensive as you need a b4 "donor" car to make it.
4wd is the schumacher cat sx, predator x11, yokomo bmax, kyosho zx-5fs (I think thats right) tamiya trf511 (a bit expensive) j concepts bj4, team associated b44. a 2nd hand 4wd usually start around £100 mark up to £250 for a barely used one...
Controller/transmitter... you can use a basic transmitter to start with, but you may want to spend more and get a decent computerised type for lots more adjustments.
most people use brushless motors nowadays, you need a brushless speedo to power this type of motor. sayint this, there are people out there using "old skool" technology ie brushed motors, but they require alot more maintenanace etc....
Checkout the for sale section on here.. you can grab your self alot of bargains... hope this helps you buddy

schumacher procat x Two, one bosscat, one rc10 gold pan, two optima mids, one cougar/club10
Old 18-04-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

Hi Neil...

I started racing about Jan 1993, so a good comparisons can be made compared to nowadays. Most things have got a lot easier to manage and look after nowadays in terms of maintenance.

1) Batteries: We are now able to use Li-Po packs, which do not require pre-charge balancing or any sort of discharging before peaking, then use. Just top up and go. You will require a Li-Po compatible charger, but these are very competitively priced. It is recommended to get a balancer/balance charger, since they often come with a cut off for the lipo packs to protect them during the charging process. Check your local clubs rules regarding charging, as they might say you need a 'safe charge pouch', which can be got hold of for a tenner.

There are several brands out there, including Reedy, LRP, Trakpower, etc etc. Check out the BRCA website (under Electric Board) for BRCA legal (and recommended packs).

2) Motors/speedo's: Sensored Brushless systems, mean that there is no skimming of commutators on motors, and regular changing of brushes which is a godsend! Special attention needs paying to the gearing of these motors though, and checking of temps regularly. Also worthwhile checking your speedo temps (if possible). The Nosram and LRP speedo's even come with a way to check how close to thermalling you are after the race. Other makes to look out for are: Novak GTB, Speed Passion, Losi and Tekin speedos.

3) Transmitters: We are now on 2.4Ghz systems (no crystals) which means that interferance is now a thing of the past (99% of the time) if installed correctly. Well known makes are Spektrum (although you might be able to get hold of a Spektrum module for your transmitter (if its not too old)). You can get hold of these for KO and other transmitters.

4) AMB RC Personal Transponders: These are very useful (although very expensive). It means that you don't have to keep changing transponders after your race (which is much easier if you race on your own/don't have a pit man). Your local club will need the AMB Rc system to use PT's though. Best to check before buying one IMO.
Old 18-04-2009
SHRCCC Legend

Looks like a lot has changed.......no more car light bulb discharging then!.

So it will be Lipo and Brushless.

What about a BJ4x4 car?, seems very much like the Kyosho ZX5 but more advanced?. Really want something that will put me on the pace, subject to driving talents!!!!.

Would prefer stick control..... any advice on this and the relevant radio gear?.

Neil
Old 18-04-2009
SHRCCC Legend

Bloody hell things have gone up!, £80 for a burshless motors, cells £100+.....Speed controllers £250............

GULP........entry level for me then!!!
Old 18-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

yes, but the motor will last you years and have no brushes to change, also no comm lathe to buy!
You can get secind hand brushless motor/speedo combo for around £150 for the good makes, Nosram, novak etc.
A new losi one is less than that but they have had mixed reviews.

I terms of radios, their are only 2 decent stick transmitters, the KO Universe, of the Futaba 3VC. Sanwa do make a mid priced stick transmitter. Or you can get an old Ko Esprit II second hand for well under £100.
The beauty of everyone moving to 2.4ghz is that hardly anyone is on 40 meg anymore!! I still run 40 meg and never have crystal clashes etc because it isn't that popular.

Ther BJ4 isn;t that popular anymore as it was "replaced" by the associated B44 which is cheaper and a carbon copy. spares back up is much better and more racers run them at tracks for set up help etc

going back a bit, did you ever run at Faversham, Herne Bay, Capel, Deal back in the day? Those were my local haunts in the early 90's

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 18-04-2009
SHRCCC Legend

Thanks for the info....will expand my mindset!.

My race track were:
Surrey and Hants
Basingstoke
Titchfield
Eden Park
Some place near Poole

Memory fades, its been a while!!!
Old 18-04-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

Your best off getting a brushless combo I reckon, will be cheaper in the long run. The speedo's are not really much more expensive, and like has been said, the motor will last much much longer than they used to (some people are using 3 year old motors without problems.)

Futaba are do some 2.4 Ghz sets (both stick and wheel), you could also do what has been mentioned and get some 2nd hand gear (40 Mhz) and brushless speedo, this will save you some dosh in the short term. Look out fot the Losi brushless sensored motors, as they are good value. The speedo's have had mixed reviews, but they seemed to have got sorted out now. They are very competitvely priced.

HTH
Mark
Old 18-04-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neildudman View Post
Thanks for the info....will expand my mindset!.

My race track were:
Surrey and Hants
Basingstoke
Titchfield
Eden Park
Some place near Poole

Memory fades, its been a while!!!
We may well have crossed paths before then
Old 18-04-2009
SHRCCC Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
We may well have crossed paths before then
I left circa 1994.....and start around 1985..... I remember Tony Evdoka and Martin Nichols from Surrey and Hants models....... then that shut and Tony went to run Basingstoke.......

....then I found women..............

Now bored of women and want to get the boy started.....its just to much not to have a go myself!!
Old 22-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neildudman View Post

What about a BJ4x4 car?, seems very much like the Kyosho ZX5 but more advanced?. Really want something that will put me on the pace, subject to driving talents!!!!.

Neil
I've had both BJ4we and several ZX5 cars ... look below to see the choice I made.

The plastic chassised cars are a lot easier to drive for most people as they flex a little more.

Basically there isn't a bad "competition level" car out there at the moment but some are very much marmite cars (for example the BJ4we didn't suit me at all) so it's all down to personal preferences at the end of the day.

Get down to your local clubs, have a chat to a few people and see what is supported locally then chose the one that suits your driving style best (most people will let you have a go if you ask nicely).
Old 22-04-2009

Send a message via MSN to Chris Green

I've put together a rough budget for 2WD:

2nd Hand B4 - including spares - budget £120. Hopefully including a set or 2 of tyres.
2nd Hand Nosram Matrix - £85
Used 7.5 Motor - £35
2 x New packs of Demon DL3600 Lipos = £80 for 2.
Transmitter - Futaba 3GR 2.4Ghz. Assuming you'd prefer sticks over wheel. - £130 ish 2nd hand including receiver.
Servo - £30, Used.

Totalling approx £480 ish, if you start from scratch. Of course, you do not have to go straight down the lipo / brushles route. But if you have no gear at all, it makes sense to.

Wheels, Tyres and inserts are approximately £30 a set. You will get through more rears than fronts on a 2WD.
Old 22-04-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Come down to Titchfield this weekend? I think most are running the B4 (I will be and picked mine up for about £70 - Stealth edition)

What I've spent getting back in:
B4 - £70
5 x 4200 SMC IB NIMH cells £80
Balancer and discharger - £30
LRP 7.1 ESC £25
PSU - £35
Prodigy II charger - £25 x 2 (won two off ebay) giving one to a mate
19T stock motor £5
Various parts and oils etc. £70
Extra reciever and LRP Super Sport Digital ESC (spares and wrong purchase) £30
Upgrades £30
2 x Batteries £40 - Giving them to a mate

I'll be turning the wheel racing again for the first time in 12 or so years this weekend.

Got a bit carried away, but money is ok at the mo

About to spend £45 on a pro spray shell etc.