Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 13-07-2009

Default B4 tweaks

Hiya,

I'm looking for some advice setting up my B4. I've got it mostly dialled in how I'd like it, so I'm looking at relatively minor tweaks. As it stands, I have a little bit of traction rolling, and the car bottoms out on the biggest jump. The car could also be a bit more stable going down the main straight, but that's not my biggest concern.

The track I'm racing at is high grip astroturf, with a surface that isn't all that smooth. Roughly equal mixture of high speed corners and tight hairpins, and two jumps of any significance.

I've been looking at these options, and since some of them take a while to make I thought I'd ask you guys first :

Stiffen up the rear: reduce traction rolling, and should sort out the jump handling. Unfortunately, the track is not smooth, and I'm reluctant to give up the consistent handling I get from the current shock setup.

Stiffen up the front: bit of a non-starter - would reduce my steering to give me less traction rolling, but I don't want to lose that. If anything I could handle a little more, although it's pretty good as-is.

Reduced down travel on the rear: should sort out the traction roll, but I understand my bottoming out problem would get worse. At the moment it's unpleasant but just about controllable - how much worse would this make it?

Reduced ride height: lower the centre of gravity a bit, which should help.

Add a bit of anti squat - I'm told this can improve the bump handling a bit, and reduce side bite, both of which should help. That said, the grip rolling happens mostly during a the early-mid portion of the corner where I'm not on the power, so I'm not sure how much it would help.

Move the upper shock mounting more vertical. Currently I'm on the middle hole, but this could reduce side bite and improve jumping a little. Would I need to alter my springs as a result of this change?
Old 14-07-2009

Hi,
You don't mention what starting set up you're running which would help. On astro like you mention, many of us run a blue front spring with 35wt oil and a silver rear with 30weight. 'Standard' camber link positions with 2 washers under the front inner pivot. All up weight approx 1620g?
Rear antisquat can help but it will depend on what you are doing with the throttle at the same time. Generally, if it is really bumpy, I'd go down on the anti squat - but I normally run 2 deg.

Assume that you're running schumacher tyres (yellow minispikes) all round? Have you tried cutting the outer row off - even on the rear. When the grip is high, I almost always trim the outer row off the rear tyre as it help prevents grip roll.

It sounds like your track is similar to my local (EPR) - a mix of smaller bumps which you need a supple suspension action but then with big impact landings. What pistons are you running? I've tried going up in pack on the rear and laying the shocks over. Much nicer on impact landings but generally more difficult to drive. Very quick on a single lap but a tad bit 'bitey' on high speed corner entry - mind you - that was with the car running at 1488g so it probably had a right to feel a little nervous

Another simple check is your ride height. The car seems to respond well to slight changes in ride height - either too high or too low and it can upset it. Rear driveshafts level, front wishbones level is my favoured starting point.

Post your set up and I'm sure someone in the world of oopledom will offer to solve your problems
Old 15-07-2009

Hiya,

Cheers for the reply . My local (Titchfield) is a bit different to EPR, I think. The jumps are smaller - I doubt the car ever gets more than a 1/2 meter off the ground, and it's astro layered on top of dirt, so the surface is more uneven (not really rutty, but just enough to destabilise firm suspension). Most people at the track run quite a soft setup as it helps maintain grip over the surface in the high speed corners.

My setup is as follows:

Front:

30wt schumacher oil
Brown springs
Inner hole at the top, outer hole on the bottom
Schumacher yellow stagger ribs

Rear:

30wt schumacher oil
Green springs
Middle hole at the top, outer hole at the bottom
Schumacher blue mini pins

Weight is 1570-1620g, depending on which batteries I'm running. I have 10g of added weight in the front of the car (above and below the front bulkhead), and 10g of weight at the rear (behind the receiver/ESC), although this was there when i bought the car, so I haven't played around with it as yet .

I have completely forgotten what pistons I'm running, but I'll be giving my shocks a rebuild later this week, so I'll find out then. I quite like the idea of laying the rear shocks down more and putting smaller holed pistons in them - from what I understand the more laid down shocks will have a lower piston speed early on in the travel, so I shouldn't have too much bother with the extra pack when the shocks are just moving a tiny bit (as in just over the surface as normal), but I'll have extra pack for the jumps. How much would I have to adjust the oil to make up for the piston size change, and is it sensible to run different piston sizes in front and rear, or not?
Old 16-07-2009

top stop the grip roll when off power stiffen front spring up to silver with 2 piston 35wt oil middle tower inner wbone 1 a link with 2mm under ball stud

if its more on power shorten rear link to 2b

as for straight consistancy add 30g weight in between gearbox and asquat block.

as for bottoming out off jumps
drill a new hole in tower further in to really lay shocks down and use 30wt no2 piston with green spring.

these tips are well practiced by ae english team to cure the issues you have.

if you want a full setup just pm me

hope this helps
Reedy
DJ KIRKY
Old 18-07-2009
Mad Member

Hi mate!
Right the set you are using is a right weird setup seriously!!!!
Blue tyres and staggered ribs put in the bin!
If I was you I would start all over again and start with this as modify it as per the track and your driving style.
This is what the top AE drivers are using currently.
Can't remember if you said you were using Lipo, this will be for Lipo!

-Front-
35w AE
Blue
No 2
Inner on wishbone
Middle on mount
1deg-
1washer under ball stud
Ball stud on inner hole
Yellow mini spike slims
Schumacher green medium inserts

-Rear-
30W AE
Silver
No 1
Inner on wishbone
Middle on mount (drill another inner hole if you like but that's only used if your running no extra weight to be honest)
1deg-
2washers under ball stud
Kit hole for ball stud from memory ;0S
2deg anti squat
Medium wheelbase
Medium battery layout (cut your foam in half)
Schumacher yellow mini spikes
Schumacher green medium inserts
Kit hole on hub carriers

Motor 6.5t or 7.5t dependant on track
Spur 78t (81 depending on your driving Is too punchy)
Pinion 21-24 dependant on motor and spur

If you find you have too much steering try this-
Outer hole on front wishbone
Cut the outer row off your front spikes
Go upto 40w oil last resort

too much rear end I.E. Grip rolling try-
Outer row off your rear spikes
Removing 1 or both of the spacers from rear ball stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisdairO View Post
Hiya,

Cheers for the reply . My local (Titchfield) is a bit different to EPR, I think. The jumps are smaller - I doubt the car ever gets more than a 1/2 meter off the ground, and it's astro layered on top of dirt, so the surface is more uneven (not really rutty, but just enough to destabilise firm suspension). Most people at the track run quite a soft setup as it helps maintain grip over the surface in the high speed corners.

My setup is as follows:

Front:

30wt schumacher oil
Brown springs
Inner hole at the top, outer hole on the bottom
Schumacher yellow stagger ribs

Rear:

30wt schumacher oil
Green springs
Middle hole at the top, outer hole at the bottom
Schumacher blue mini pins

Weight is 1570-1620g, depending on which batteries I'm running. I have 10g of added weight in the front of the car (above and below the front bulkhead), and 10g of weight at the rear (behind the receiver/ESC), although this was there when i bought the car, so I haven't played around with it as yet .

I have completely forgotten what pistons I'm running, but I'll be giving my shocks a rebuild later this week, so I'll find out then. I quite like the idea of laying the rear shocks down more and putting smaller holed pistons in them - from what I understand the more laid down shocks will have a lower piston speed early on in the travel, so I shouldn't have too much bother with the extra pack when the shocks are just moving a tiny bit (as in just over the surface as normal), but I'll have extra pack for the jumps. How much would I have to adjust the oil to make up for the piston size change, and is it sensible to run different piston sizes in front and rear, or not?
Old 18-07-2009
Mad Member

Also forgot this-

Trishbits front bulkhead
Trishbits rear bulkhead
Tony evodka battery strap
Maybe 10g in each of rear pods if needed for grip

That little lot will show your mates up ;0)
Old 25-07-2009

Thanks for all the advice guys. Racing tomorrow, so I'm going to try it out