Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 07-03-2010

Talking Tamiya TA05 - Better Than My HPI Pro 4?

Hi all,

I've got two HPI Pro 4 cars that I run brushless 13.5T motors in. I've never been able to get the setup quite right and have always had nightmares with the diffs/gears since going from brushed to brushless.

I've been offered a Tamiya TA05 from a friend at a fair price. I believe that its the stock model with a fair few alloy upgrades, plus some spares and stuff. I am hoping that the car will be at least as quick, require less maintenance (rather than hours shimming and reshimming the gears in the Pro 4), be well built and easy to get spares.

I am just after the consensus as to whether this is a good car to buy. I appreciate that its not as good as the 416 or similar, but I dont find the perfomance of my Pro 4 to be poor - until I can drive it race after race without crashing Im not after anything quickewr anyway.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 07-03-2010
Mad Member

I ran a Pro4 at Halifax outdoor last year with the stock setup and it was pretty good but I changed to a 416 worlds for this year. Took it out with the stock setup for the first time last week on a damp track and it was amazing. So easy to drive with loads of grip.

I know its a different layout with different materials but there's a good chance the geometry should be good. I have quite a few tamiyas and the build quality is top notch. To bring it up to racing spec I'd want TRF Dampers and CVD's as a minimum so I'd factor in the price.

Ive got a 501x and a DB01, which is as good as my 501x, BUT its taken the price of a second hand 501x to get it that way so bear that in mind when hopping up a basic car.

I know its not giving you an easy answer but it might give you something to think about .

Clown
Old 07-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD View Post
I ran a Pro4 at Halifax outdoor last year with the stock setup and it was pretty good but I changed to a 416 worlds for this year. Took it out with the stock setup for the first time last week on a damp track and it was amazing. So easy to drive with loads of grip.

I know its a different layout with different materials but there's a good chance the geometry should be good. I have quite a few tamiyas and the build quality is top notch. To bring it up to racing spec I'd want TRF Dampers and CVD's as a minimum so I'd factor in the price.

Ive got a 501x and a DB01, which is as good as my 501x, BUT its taken the price of a second hand 501x to get it that way so bear that in mind when hopping up a basic car.

I know its not giving you an easy answer but it might give you something to think about .
Thanks, that is a useful answer. It already comes with the parts mentioned (CVDs, shocks) I believe so thats good in that respect. my friend has also won a few club events with it against more pro spec cars, so I am hopeful that it is upto spec. He is selling it to fund a 416.

Just so long as its not a huge step in the opposite direction, the amount of time alone that it takes me to set up the Pro 4 just to get it shimmed correctly and running OK is enough to make me want to switch.

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

I have run TA05's since they were realeased, as long as you run the CVD's up front at least, the alloy suspension blocks, that makes it bullet proof, then the TRF shocks and alloy steering are very nice options.
Old 07-03-2010

Thanks, TA05 sounding very promising!!!
Old 07-03-2010

Tamiya Andy..... You know it makes sense
Old 07-03-2010

Ha-ha-ha-haaa! Is that you Dunham? How come you're on here, waiting for the next map to load on CS: Source? (joking)

Might have to be done y'know.

P.S Did you see the Carpet Masters results - just four points between us in the end.
Old 08-03-2010

ye the pro4 handled like a dog last week! whos selling the ta05?
Old 08-03-2010

If I told you Ant, I would have to kill you.

Oy, thought you said it was handling nicely? Just ask Tom, he'll tell you it was running sweet at TORC - was untouchable across the grass.

You got any thoughts on it mate? Interested in the Pro 4's as a sucessor to the Pro 3 if I switch? "One careful lady owner who took it to the shops once a week, only five faaazand miles on de clock".
Old 19-03-2010

Thanks to everyone who replied, bought a TA05R and an IFS plus spare bits for £125. Ran it for the first time tonight and it was pretty sweet.
Old 20-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
I have run TA05's since they were realeased, as long as you run the CVD's up front at least,
Can't agree more completely with that observation - the little pink "tamiya pillows" just aren't up to locating the dogbones correctly once they wear a bit in my experience.

Esp up front, once the dogbones can walk inboard a bit, you've got bad jamming problems that can potentially rip up parts.

Cheers,
Ty
Old 20-03-2010

TA05 ran well on first outing - lots of understeer on turn in and then power-on oversteer though - obviously the drive is much more direct as I used to run the Pro 4 with the diffs loose to save the gears! I cant just nail it out of the middle of the corner as it just spins out.

Overall very pleased but theres a lot of slop in the ball-cups so upgrading those today and maybe a bit of toe-out to sort the handling....